Options

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2013 Season (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    mjr wrote: »
    He did also react as it happened though exclaiming "oh, that's horrible!" before the bit you quoted. There was probably a bit of shock from everyone and with it (rightly) not being replayed the severity of the impact may not have been completely apparent.

Very pleased to hear the cameraman sounds like he will be OK, although that's some very nasty injuries all the same.

Yeah, jusy checked my recording and BE certainly expressed shock at the incident when it happened.

He used those exact words you quoted.
  • Options
    eric_the_beeeric_the_bee Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Having said that, it would be considered normal for any cameraman in the pit lane to have someone with him to be his eyes.

I did BTCC support races for a couple of years in the pits and you always got support to be your eyes! I wouldn't have done it without that!
  • Options
    _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    Watched the race earlier on Sky, just watching the highlights on the Beeb now as there's sod all else on.

Now, the old timers here will know that I'm a big fan of Ben Edwards, but I've just been pretty surprised by the way he dealt with the FOM cameraman being hit. He virtually didn't react at all! I think he said something like 'that's not what you want to see' but then went back into normal commentary as soon as FOM cut away. I wondered whether he hadn't noticed the guy getting hit, I think DC might have thought that too as he said something to Ben like 'I'm more concerned about the cameraman'. It felt a bit odd.

That's not how it sounded on the live feed, it sounds like the on the highlights they cut away almost straight after the incident.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mjr wrote: »
    He did also react as it happened though exclaiming "oh, that's horrible!" before the bit you quoted. There was probably a bit of shock from everyone and with it (rightly) not being replayed the severity of the impact may not have been completely apparent.

My apologies for missing that bit. I still think he returned to 'business as usual' rather quickly though. Maybe something was lost in the edit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My apologies for missing that bit. I still think he returned to 'business as usual' rather quickly though. Maybe something was lost in the edit.

I think that's what it was. apparently on the live feed he dwelled on it a bit more after the "oh, that's horrible!" bit.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone called Andy helped the F1 do rather well yesterday.... ;)

BBC One
    18:00 to 19:30 - 5.15m (31.2%)
    * artificial peak: 7.59m (45.3%) at 18:00
    * race itself ended with 4.97m (29.4%) at 19:05

Sky Sports F1
    11:30 to 16:30 - 662k (6.7%)
    * race average: 1.28m (11.8%)
    * peak: 1.45m (15.8%) at 13:15

Highest German Grand Prix rating on record.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Someone called Andy helped the F1 do rather well yesterday.... ;)

BBC One
    18:00 to 19:30 - 5.15m (31.2%)
    * artificial peak: 7.59m (45.3%) at 18:00
    * race itself ended with 4.97m (29.4%) at 19:05

Sky Sports F1
    11:30 to 16:30 - 662k (6.7%)
    * race average: 1.28m (11.8%)
    * peak: 1.45m (15.8%) at 13:15

Highest German Grand Prix rating on record.

It's no wonder that pay tv across the world wants sports rights, a day like yesterday can really pull in the punters.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    It's no wonder that pay tv across the world wants sports rights, a day like yesterday can really pull in the punters.

Without wanting to derail, how come:

- Wimbledon peaked with 17.3 million
    - The Lions peaked with less than 2 million

:confused:
  • Options
    Guv'norGuv'nor Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FOM camera operators can only film from the pit wall as of the next race in Hungary and going forwards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Without wanting to derail, how come:

- Wimbledon peaked with 17.3 million
    - The Lions peaked with less than 2 million

:confused:

Confused? Reall? Great figures for both, and the F1 on The Beeb and Sky did really well too.

Like i said.....
    It's no wonder that pay tv across the world wants sports rights, a day like yesterday can really pull in the punters

Great figures all round.
  • Options
    Pete_ukPete_uk Posts: 2,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For races like Germany, does the beeb have less staff (apart from Eddie!) and equipment at the track? Does any of the editing get done in Manchester or is it all on site?

Cheers

P.S. Where do some of you get the 'raw feed' from the beeb?
  • Options
    EchtiEchti Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Guv'nor wrote: »
    FOM camera operators can only film from the pit wall as of the next race in Hungary and going forwards.

How poor is that!?
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member

Big shame. Going to miss a lot of good angles. And what about Monaco? Pit wall is upstairs isn't it?
  • Options
    EchtiEchti Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Just noticed the bitter irony of that FOM pitlane incident: directly behind Paul Allen there was another FOM cameraman taking shots by kneeing on the ground. He noticed the fast approaching wheel and just jumped into safety. Unfortunately the wheel hit his camera that was laying on the ground. And because of that the wheel was forced into the air and hit Mr Allen at his shoulder.
  • Options
    JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok.. so I stole the tour bus and took the crew to Pocono for the 400

Here are the best pics from our Raceday.
    (real busy today so no time for long, drawn out story which you've all heard before)..

The first thing all our tour bus passengers said when they awoke was....
    WHERE'S THE ScheißeCabin?

The second was..
    WHERE ARE OUR FREE TICKETS?

So, off they went in search of the free lunch and air conditioning
    They found it

So with the uninitiated safely ensconced upstairs I head off for a quick Grid Walk with the racing friendly among us. Notice the amazing credential required for this portion of the event. They all found the #7 livery to their liking. Just before being found bereft of a proper credential I said hello to some friends up the back of the grid .
    I HAD to go lay the smackdown on a certain wager I made and when it all went pit entry pear-shaped the gang laughed and said.."Jp, you cursed him" My instant reply was something like ..'He needed NO HELP FROM ME '

So, as engines were fired and we made our way up to the stands..
    I was lucky/clever to obtain a few spots for us on the secondary spotters roof.
    Unlucky to be positioned next to a certain object of derision

Everyone had a great time and I think,with this unrivalled access, we spawned about 5 NEW IndyCar fans.

Jp
  • Options
    F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,841
    Forum Member

I guess remotely operated minicams will now become more prominent?

seems like a bit of a knee jerk reaction though.

if it didn't hit him it would have most probably hit a team member at some point
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    racefreak wrote: »
    Also why didn't they pull out the Safety car when the MArussia blew up. Possible oil on track in the fastest part of the track and you send Marshals out to recover that car. Incredibly stupid. Only when that car rolled back they put out a safety car. Whiting needs to react quicker, we can't have marshals that close to the track when they are at racespeed. We saw today what happens when people get hit by things, and that was only in pitlane.

Charlie seems very reluctant to pull out the safety car this year, almost as if someone has had a word with him prior to the season saying it had been used too much in previous seasons and he has to keep the race live as long as possible.
    The Massa spin right next to the apex of turn 1 was bad enough but the Marussia issue was just stupid.
    I'm not a purist in any shape or form but I do share Martin's fear of having those tractors anywhere near the racetrack when there are cars on it.
    Also you'd think that F1 would do more to try and protect the Marshals after recent events and not put them in harms way
    if they could help it....

Now, the old timers here will know that I'm a big fan of Ben Edwards, but I've just been pretty surprised by the way he dealt with the FOM cameraman being hit. He virtually didn't react at all! I think he said something like 'that's not what you want to see' but then went back into normal commentary as soon as FOM cut away. I wondered whether he hadn't noticed the guy getting hit, I think DC might have thought that too as he said something to Ben like 'I'm more concerned about the cameraman'. It felt a bit odd.

There's two types of reaction to a shocking incident like that, going over it repeatedly and re-analysing it constantly or denial.
    I'm guessing there's a BBC policy in place to not mention anything until it has been confirmed but I'd rather they were respectful and professional than jumping into speculation mode as is common with most incidents in F1.
    chrisr21 wrote: »
    Ben Edwards can be the greatest commentator possible, and universally acclaimed, but if you don't like a commentators voice (as I don't for some reason, and haven't since hearing him on the BTCC), then it makes him very hard to listen too. Had to today as I was at the Cricket and missed the race live.

I was thinking this at the weekend while watching various racing.
    Every commentator out there is doing a great job for whatever series they commentate on. Good or bad commentary might well just be down to personal preference in the end.
    Like stand up comedy or music taste, commentary might just be subjective.

Anyhoo, I wonder if FOM will be working on a lot more unmanned cameras for pit lane or perhaps a few more on-boards on the cars just for pit stops?
    (As cool as the start angle was from Webber with his sideways camera, it's blatantly just there for the pit stops.
    Bit of a waste of an on-board angle IMO but perhaps more will be like this with the new ruling.
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a VHS rummage, a bit classic Ben Edwards

Short clip from BTCC 2002

Start of BTCC coverage at knockhill in 2002...
    Seeing clips like that, although he is a good commentator, Ben Edwards I think could be a fantastic presenter. Groovy opening titles too :D

...and Jim Rosenthal signing off at the end of ITV's 100th F1 race. (Low key Japan 2002 - presented from London)
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,397
    Forum Member
    For anyone wondering, The cameraman been hit was cut out of sky's re-run.

I was watching the pits feed (As I always do with the Monday re-run) & it seemed to be an edit made across all the feeds removing a few seconds just after Mark's wheel came loose to the following shot from above the RBR pit box (Going off world-feed box).
    Wasn't a straght cut, There was a lot of image break-up, The sort you get when your losing a digital signal.
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anyone wondering, The cameraman been hit was cut out of sky's re-run.

Wasn't a straght cut, There was a lot of image break-up, The sort you get when your losing a digital signal.

Bit of a strange decision, seeing as the Beeb left it in their highlights and put a clip of it on the website.

On the ban, I wonder if that might be a temporary thing while they take a look at what can be done to make things safer. It would be a shame to lose it altogether - Schumacher's charge down the pitlane at Spa '98 or Hamilton's end of pitlane brain-fade in Canada '08 are two examples of where no remote or pitwall bound camera would have been able to deliver the shot.

On the release, perhaps it's time to look at some sort of automated safeguard against letting the light go green without all four wheels having a certain amount of tension. At the moment the operator has to keep an eye on traffic coming down the pits, look out for 12 men changing four tyres and make sure two jackmen jump out the way all in the space of less than three seconds.
  • Options
    IncastIncast Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't doubt you, but is this confirmed? I don't want to believe it because its quite a step forward and screams knee jerk.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    I've always much preferred the way American racing does their pitstops.

Keep all personnel behind the wall until the car comes to a stop. I'm sure their camera crews are behind their too.

It doesn't completely eliminate risk but it does substantially reduce it.

Even the oft criticised A1GP got this right, keeping all the pit crew in their garage until the car was in the pitbox....

Might be worth F1 looking at a similar rule for 2014.
  • Options
    joel turcottejoel turcotte Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    Bit of a strange decision, seeing as the Beeb left it in their highlights and put a clip of it on the website.

A lot saw it on the news too.
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incast wrote: »
    I don't doubt you, but is this confirmed? I don't want to believe it because its quite a step forward and screams knee jerk.

Lots of sources quoting this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23222900
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jul/08/formula-one-tv-cameras-pitlane
    http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12523/8813770/Cameramen-to-stand-on-pit-wall-at-Formula-1-races-after-German-GP-tyre-incident

Decision comes from Bernie if the sources are to be believed.

Some of the quotes from team principals bemoaning the lack of PPE for people in the pitlane are quite interesting, considering they often cross from the garage to the pitwall (which is still potentially in the firing line of a loose wheel or collision between cars) in short-sleeves without headgear. Perhaps they'd like to take the lead and ensure they are fully kitted up or stay inside the garage?
  • Options
    jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was surprised to see vettel refuse to talk to the crowd in German at the end of the podium interviews with Kai from RTL, he prompted him a few times but vettel said something to him in German and then carried on in English, no big deal really but most drivers usually talk in there own language after the main interview questions at there home Grand Prix, such as Alonso did in Spain..
This discussion has been closed.