The Open Championship

Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,648
Forum Member
✭✭
Gets underway this Thursday

Who is your money on ?

Can Luke Donald, Lee Westwood or Sergio Garcia claim their first major ?

Will Tiger roar again ?

Will Big Phil carry on his Scottish Open form ?

Personally I have backed a player that has had 3 successive Top 15 finishes in the Open.

Dustin Johnson

Comments

• dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I notice Rory has been paired with Lefty and Matsuyama. Should be a good trio to watch.

After our recent success, hoping for a UK winner so will be cheering on Lule Donald s well
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very much looking forward to this. Fancy the two Saffies, Charl and Louis most.

Yet seem to have backed about half the field:o

Every time I've had a win at golf I tend to go into the ante-post markets.

Will be a bit stricken if I don't get a winner.
  • detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to the practice on Wednesday, a far better day for spectators than the actual tournament imo.

Branden Grace sticks out to me, decent form and a very good man on the bag. Also went for Martin Kaymer who is playing himself back into form and Richie Ramsay as my big outsider.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    No idea who will win and never go in for predictions or betting when it comes to Golf majors. Just hoping they are local :)
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea who will win and never go in for predictions or betting when it comes to Golf majors. Just hoping they are local :)

Not sure there are many competitors from Mars in it
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiger's the bookies favourite and a lot of people appear to be backing him for this one. :)
  • AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not gone through the betting yet but I hope Rory can pull something out of the bag. He's a lot going on off the field at the moment, which is far from ideal preparation for the Open.

Watching the Scottish Open reminded me that there's nothing better than golf being played (usually in Scotland) on a links course, Ryder Cup excepted.
    Forum Member
    Not sure there are many competitors from Mars in it

:p

So.. Poulter doesn't count?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So.. Poulter doesn't count?

Arsenal fan so he isn't the full shilling
  • mrmattybeckmrmattybeck Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should be good a golf major on the bbc wow lots of coverage as well
  • BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    my 10 picks,
    B Grace
    B Rumford
    C Schwartzel
    E Els
    G McDowell
    J Rose
    M Ilonen
    M Manassero
    R Sterne
    S Garcia
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member
    AZ fan wrote: »
    Not gone through the betting yet but I hope Rory can pull something out of the bag. He's a lot going on off the field at the moment, which is far from ideal preparation for the Open.

Watching the Scottish Open reminded me that there's nothing better than golf being played (usually in Scotland) on a links course, Ryder Cup excepted.

Yep Links Golf is totally different game from normal Parkland Golf mainly due to the Wind. Would love to see the Wind get up a bit, not ridiculous levels like the first day at 2008 Open, but about 10-15mph.

The Open is in my neck of the woods next year so really looking forward to that one already.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,855
    Forum Member
    A British winner would really add to the success this summer!

Watched a programme on BBC2 about the 1992 Open.

Faldo won it but certainly you could argue John Cook threw it away at the end.
  • chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    lets go sir nick.time to make it 7......
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    A British winner would really add to the success this summer!

Watched a programme on BBC2 about the 1992 Open.

Faldo won it but certainly you could argue John Cook threw it away at the end.

He did, but in the end that's Majors for you, get yourself in contention enough (as Faldo did), and you get some luck good and bad. I remember him lipping out a few times when in contention in other majors.

If Cook, Hoch, Norman can't hold their nerve you take the prize, if they do you don't.
    Forum Member
    Looking at the roll of honour for those who have won The Open at Muirfield which is quite stunning, which includes Gary Player, Jack Nicklaus, Tom Watson, Nick Faldo & Ernie Els & a few more going way back when Muirfield started hosting The Open all top players of the time.
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Golfing majors are incredibly unpredictable at the best of times, this one in particular has thrown up some surprises of recent- Clarke and Els, and Tom Watson a putt away in 09 (?) iirc
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Tiger's the bookies favourite and a lot of people appear to be backing him for this one. :)

Woods is generally always favourite. Golf, of all the sports, is incredibly tough to predict a player for even a top ten finish, never mind to win.

As much as one hole can lose you the tournament. Whenever I bet I just throw a miniscule amount on a few outsiders for each way
    Forum Member
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Woods is generally always favourite. Golf, of all the sports, is incredibly tough to predict a player for even a top ten finish, never mind to win.

As much as one hole can lose you the tournament. Whenever I bet I just throw a miniscule amount on a few outsiders for each way

Indeed, not many would have predicted Rose to win the US Open a few weeks ago. Golf is so unpredictable anything can happen, i just sit back & enjoy watching The Open.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I have put my money where my mouth is

Backed Dustin Johnson at 40s
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've gone each way (7 places with Paddy power)

Garcia 33/1
    Schwartzel 45/1
    Manaserro 70/1
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nicolaus Coelsarts 66/1 and Zach Johnson 80/1 are my bets.

Now off work for the duration of the open. But should really just not sit inside in hot weather

Have had a good year on the golf had Steven gallagher winning at 66/1 and Paul casey at 40/1 in the recent Irish open
  • AJRevittAJRevitt Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it me or do a lot of the open championships seem to be held in jockland? Kind of takes the mickey after the Scottish open a week before and golf being a very English sport.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    AJRevitt wrote: »
    Is it me or do a lot of the open championships seem to be held in jockland? Kind of takes the mickey after the Scottish open a week before and golf being a very English sport.

Isn't the home of golf, St. Andrews?
    Forum Member
    AJRevitt wrote: »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf#Origin