Using VM cable wiithout subscription

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Morning all,

I am moving to new house soon, where there doesnt appear to be an external aeriel. They have VM for TV and phone, so i'm wondering if when i move in, would i be able to connect the cable to the TV and watch Freeview or at least channels 1-5? I'm not sure how this works post analogue services.

Thank you.

Comments

• Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freeview uses a different protocol than cable so you would be unable to do this.

Anyway, without a subscription to Virgin Media, you have no right to connect to their equipment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ernie_C wrote: »
    Freeview uses a different protocol than cable so you would be unable to do this.

Anyway, without a subscription to Virgin Media, you have no right to connect to their equipment.

Thanks Ernie

Is there a way round this situation then, please? Not looking forward to a week+ in my new home without TV! I could get a VM subscription, but i was looking for something more immeadiate to use when i first move in.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MICH78 wrote: »
    Thanks Ernie

Is there a way round this situation then, please? Not looking forward to a week+ in my new home without TV! I could get a VM subscription, but i was looking for something more immeadiate to use when i first move in.
    You'll probably be very busy moving in in the first week so won't have time for TV! Do you plan just to have Freeview? In which case, why not arrange for the aerial to be installed very soon after you move in? Who are you going to use for broadband? If you can get this up and running quickly then you will be able to watch online.
  • TiexenTiexen Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    You'll probably be very busy moving in in the first week so won't have time for TV! Do you plan just to have Freeview? In which case, why not arrange for the aerial to be installed very soon after you move in? Who are you going to use for broadband? If you can get this up and running quickly then you will be able to watch online.

If they have a VM phone line you won't be able to switch broadband without having the BT line reconnected (if they have one)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    Tiexen wrote: »
    If they have a VM phone line you won't be able to switch broadband without having the BT line reconnected (if they have one)

Thanks guys. I will most likely get a TV, calls & broadband package with VM, but i was trying to find a way of watching TV for the first week that i move. I can't take time off work any earlier than that for the installation to take place.

I can't work out why this house would have no external aeriel. Surely when you have VM, you don't discard the rooftop aeriel, even though it's not in use?

Maybe i will borrow an indoor aeriel and see how that goes - very limited i imagine!
  • dj999dj999 Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

I am moving to new house soon, where there doesnt appear to be an external aeriel. They have VM for TV and phone, so i'm wondering if when i move in, would i be able to connect the cable to the TV and watch Freeview or at least channels 1-5? I'm not sure how this works post analogue services.

Thank you.

if its an active line and tv receives cable channels, should be able to get the main channels
  • 67896789 Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speak to VM. They may be able to arrange the install on the day you move in.

Or if you just want the basic V-HD box, they may be able to send you one to install yourself.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't work out why this house would have no external aeriel. Surely when you have VM, you don't discard the rooftop aeriel, even though it's not in use?
    If you're not with Virgin now, it may be worth seeing if any of the cash-back sites will give you money back.
    Cable and satellite having been going for a long time in this country. I know plenty of houses without aerials, they don't last forever and if people don't need them, why maintain them?
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dj999 wrote: »
    if its an active line and tv receives cable channels, should be able to get the main channels

The FTA channels will only be available if the OP has a STB. It's probably not worth sourcing one for such a short length of time until the proper install.

OP: If you were with VM at your previous address, you could try plugging your box in and you may get a limited number of channels. It depends, as dj999 says, if the line is still active.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume the OP has moved in already...but I'm surprised no one mentioned one of these.

One of our TVs upstairs uses one of these little ones, and it picks up all the Freeview channels just fine (obviously it has to be a Freeview TV).

(N.B. Your strength of signal may vary :) )