Talksport Chat (Part 11)

Comments

• HomesdaleHomesdale Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Tried to listen to the Breakfast Show this morning with Brian Boore alongside Alan Brazil.

Its just an awful show. Brian Boore is as usual stumbling and mumbling along, sounding like he hasn't got a clue what question he is going to ask.

He just sounds so awkward, and not really knowing what he is supposed to be saying half the time.

I really dont see what people see in him. He has a horrible voice too, which i suppose dont help him.

Something really needs to be done in the mornings as its getting worse and worse every day.

Brazil just going through the motions now, and sounding like he doing it for the sake of it, as it helps out his social life.

If he put half the effort into his show as what he does into his social life, things might start to pick up a bit!!!!
  • jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    Billy244 wrote: »
    OMG it's not ROY there is it?, what you doing listening to talkSPORT up in heaven?.

Who's Roy mate.?
  • Peachy KeenPeachy Keen Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe19 wrote: »
    Danny Kelly is on H and J Wednesday to Friday this week (I assume Paul is away and not Andy again ;))

I think Paul is going away on his ski-ing trip with his mates. This is the holiday he kept going on about in the last few weeks!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I thought Sam Matterface loved Mourinho but wow, Mark Saggers took the José love-in to a different level earlier.

Run of the mill José press conference resulted in Mark Saggers saying "He's brilliant, isn't he, Stuart? Amazing." while giggling and he also mentioned how José loves "a wonderful little Italian restaurant around the corner from Stamford Bridge, that I'm sure we're all well aware of."

He must be the most pretentious, up his own arse presenter in Radio-land.
  • Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Big O wrote:
    God Bless YouMr & Mrs yorkieUK, the internet and the Talksport Chat Digital Forum...

I can now rest in peace!!!
    jackyork wrote: »
    Who's Roy mate.?

Stop acting about Jack you know your old enough to know who 'The Big O' was!!!. :D
    Forum Member
    Stop acting about Jack you know your old enough to know who 'The Big O' was!!!. :D

Yes I am to young by many,many years. :D

WTF is happening at your club ? you dont even do narrow wins these days its 4-0 here 5-0 there, im e-mailing LUFC straight away to suggest your manager for us.:D;-)
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 200,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to think so....... :o

:confused::confused:

Jack was in the carriage, behind you going down the grand national @ blackpool about e 1978 ish ?:p
  • Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Billy, top result for your boys tonight, did Leicester a huge favour.

Redknapp's star is fading, though there will be his apologists on the station I'm sure.
    Forum Member
    I'd like to think so....... :o

:confused::confused:

Jack was in the carriage, behind you going down the grand national @ blackpool about e 1978 ish ?:p

I was 20 when he died, I will have to ask my Mother if she knew him.:p
    Forum Member

Redknapp's star is fading, though there will be his apologists on the station I'm sure.

Joe I think Leicester are as good as promoted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Alan Brazil still trying to talk up Davieee moyes on breakfast show......."i really mean that"
    are they related or something. Mike Parry was doing the paper review and kept going on that moyes was in trouble.....as per usual Alan says "lets move on"....haha
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,294
    Forum Member
    Olympiakos might as well not turn up at Man U tonight according to Talksport it seems.

Do really "average sides who don't deserve to be in the last 8" take 4 points off Benfica and almost draw at PSG?

Lets hope for the sake of Moyes his players aren't as complacent - they shouldn't be of course being 2 down and very much average themselves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

WTF is happening at your club ? you dont even do narrow wins these days its 4-0 here 5-0 there, im e-mailing LUFC straight away to suggest your manager for us.:D;-)

Actually Jack I tend to forget your not about 70 like Sleeper so sorry about that mate, :p The Big O what a voice he was incredible. I don't know what's going on with Wednesday they're a hit & miss hot and cold team that can match the best on certain days and are terrible on other days. :confused::confused::confused:
    But what's happening at Leeds United as well?, I thought they were certainties for the play-offs earlier on in the season but things are looking very unstable on the pitch. Connor Wickham isn't doing it for you like he did for us, for Wednesday he was scoring for fun, I know from very reliable sources he was very happy at Wednesday, really happy and wanted to return again but they couldn't match what Leeds were offering regarding a wage packet deal and he chose your club because at the end of the day it nearly always comes down to money.
    Wednesday's a team of loans, if they all suddenly went back we'd be in the $hit and that's certain, Mandaric needs to spend before next season comes around or it'll be another long fight again to stay up, regarding Leeds United I think the manager is on very thin ice right now and any more maulings and he'll drop through it.

Just to get back on track and apologies to everyone else for my ramblings have you seen yet that talkSPORT'S owners UTV Media suffered a 15.9% decline in pre-tax profits last year?, so it's not all plain sailing for the world's biggest and best sports radio station is it.

QUOTE: (taken from a copy posted next door)

"TalkSport owner UTV Media sees pre-tax profits plummet by almost 16%

The lack of any major international football tournament and a difficult advertising market affected TalkSport revenue. Photograph: Richard Saker

TalkSport owner UTV Media suffered a 15.9% decline in pre-tax profits last year, with no major international football tournament, but expects its performance to pick up in 2014 helped by the World Cup in Brazil.

The company also disclosed on Tuesday that it is considering bidding for 2015 Rugby World Cup rights – but would not seek to repeat 2011's exclusive deal shutting out the BBC, as next autumn's tournament hosted by England will clash with its live Premier League coverage.

UTV Media, which also owns the Northern Ireland ITV franchise, reported a 15.9% year-on-year fall in pre-tax profits to £16.9m for the 12 months to the end of December.

Group revenues were £107.8m, down from £112.3m the previous year. Pre-tax profits fell from £20.1m to £16.9m over the year, after the group's portfolio of assets which runs across TV, radio and magazines was hit by a difficult advertising market.

Overall, the group endured a difficult first six months of the year followed by improvement in the second half.

UTV Media's share price was down 2.75% to 242p at 10.30am on Tuesday.

John McCann, UTV group chief executive, said: "The contrasting performances of the first and second halves of the year are evident in these results, with group operating profit down 36% in the first half of the year and up 10% in the second half. The improvement in market conditions continues into the current year, with all of our divisions recording good growth in the first quarter of 2014."

The Radio GB division, which is driven by TalkSport, reported a 39% year-on-year fall in operating profit from £12.9m to £7.9m.

However, revenues at TalkSport were affected by tough year-on-year comparisons with 2012, when its figures were boosted by live coverage of the Euro 2012 football tournament.

Revenues at GB Radio are expected to be up 7% in the first quarter of 2014 and 17% in April, spearheaded by TalkSport which is predicted to be up 25% in April on the year.

This trend is expected to continue running into at least June when TalkSport shares the live commentary rights to this year's football World Cup with BBC Radio 5 Live, according to UTV Media managing director Scott Taunton.

Taunton said: "With the World Cup on board, we will at least have recovered to where we were in 2012. And with the wind behind us we may do better."

In the past few years, TalkSport has been building up its rights portfolio across key sports such as rugby and football.

Taunton said UTV Media was mulling over whether to bid for broadcast rights for next year's rugby union World Cup, though it would be unable to bid for exclusive rights because of its Premier League commitments.

Taunton said: "We are looking at the rugby World Cup. We are not going for exclusive as a lot of the games will clash with our Premier League [football] coverage."

Should it bid for the rights, it would follow TalkSport exclusive rights deals for the 2011 Rugby World Cup and the 2013 British Lions tour of Australia. TalkSport has some rights to Aviva Premier League rugby union coverage.

TalkSport sister free magazine title Sport is also expected to benefit from an advertising uplift during this year's football World Cup, said Taunton.

Taunton said: "Sport is doing very well. In a World Cup year, it will do well for us. It's a complementary sell for our TalkSport sales people."

UTV Media said its Irish TV and radio business continue to perform strongly.

Operating profits at its Irish radio division were down from £6m to £5.1m in the year, hit by a difficult advertising market while profits at the TV unit were down from £7.4m to £7.3m.

Taunton said UTV Media was on track with its plans to launch a new TV channel in the Republic of Ireland.

The new channel will be based in Dublin and its schedule will be built around ITV Productions' shows including Coronation Street and Emmerdale, after UTV snatched the Irish rights deal from rival broadcaster TV3.

UTV Media said of the new channel: "Much of the programming that we will be offering will already be familiar to Irish viewers and we are confident that we will be able to establish a strong viewership base in our first full year of operation."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cheers Joe I think most Wednesdayites would have taken a draw last night but 3 points was just fantastic, under Dave Jones they were looking dead certain for relegation but Stuart Gray has done incredibly well, he makes no fuss, doesn't go over the top when they win, doesn't moan when they lose or don't get a penalty or get an penalty wrongly awarded against them he just moves on to the next game. (unlike Mr Jones did all the time)
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyable edition of The Sports Bar last night - after a text messager got in touch with a story about the former Brentford, Sheffield Wednesday and Reading striker Lloyd Owusu, Andy and Jason decided to track him down to see if the story was true. It turns out he's now playing in Australia and he ended up coming on the show to have a chat with them on the phone. That probably doesn't sound that amazing written down, but at the time it was a lot of fun, it was such a spontaneous thing and you could tell they weren't expecting to be able to get in touch with him, let alone actually speak to him. The interview with Lloyd went out after the 11.30pm news and is worth a listen on Listen Again (it should be of interest to our resident Bee and Owl at least).

Apparently they got a great response from the listeners to "Owusu Watch", so much so that Andy went on to say that they are planning to make it a regular thing of getting in touch with former players as suggested by listeners who'd like to know what their old favourites are up to now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oliver Holt the respected Mirror sports journalist says this morning it's all over for Moyes at Manchester United, (Parry was discussing this item today on the breakfast show)
    http://bit.ly/1j4T78t

Will Al ever recover if this is true?.
  • Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Olympiakos might as well not turn up at Man U tonight according to Talksport it seems.

Do really "average sides who don't deserve to be in the last 8" take 4 points off Benfica and almost draw at PSG?

Lets hope for the sake of Moyes his players aren't as complacent - they shouldn't be of course being 2 down and very much average themselves.

Typical TalkSport view- "I ain't heard of many players what play for em so they can't be that good".

I'll be surprised if Man United go through, I think they'll concede so they'll need 4 to qualify.

I see AVB is back in football, do we reckon TalkSport will now have a sudden interest in Russian football? ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Talksport can write Olympiakos off if they want.

I'm guessing most United fans, including myself, now we're as good as out. If we still had Fergie, I'd be almost certain of going through. He gave the team confidence (some say arrogance!).

Moyes, on the other hand, has sucked the fight out of this team and it'll be a happy day when he's sacked in the next week or so.
  • Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else find themselves turning off Talksport when that infuriating TradePoint ad comes on? They`ve been playing the same loud gormless advert on a loop for years now.

It`s mental torture.
  • RedunitedRedunited Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tradepoint do a new ad, ffs. Really is annoying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talksport can write Olympiakos off if they want.

I'm guessing most United fans, including myself, now we're as good as out. If we still had Fergie, I'd be almost certain of going through. He gave the team confidence (some say arrogance!).

Moyes, on the other hand, has sucked the fight out of this team and it'll be a happy day when he's sacked in the next week or so.

I really thought Moyes would turn it round but now I feel he won't because this is 2014 not 25 years back when Alex Ferguson was given the time he needed the Glazers are hard business people and if United miss out on the Champions League next season because they dip out tonight he could be toast by the end of next week.
    Sometimes it just don't work out for certain previously well proven managers look at Chelsea's recent history, look at the famous mismatch when Clough only lasted 44 days at Leeds and there have been others.
    I'd love to know SAF's private thoughts on the situation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dub2 wrote: »
    Anyone else find themselves turning off Talksport when that infuriating TradePoint ad comes on? They`ve been playing the same loud gormless advert on a loop for years now.

It`s mental torture.

It's not just the TradePoint one for me it's the whole damn lot of them all nauseatingly bad to listen too if the station had any pride in their output they'd set some standards and keep to them.
    Don't know if you've ever tried it but turn on your radio at 6 different random times during the day and you'll hear commercials being played about 4 of the goes it hardly ever fails.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive been listening online on my wifi radio whilst up in the loft for a few days & I couldnt belive the amount of ads - far more than normal.

At first I thought I was just being paranoid but no, when the ads finished, they would return to the live coverage, in mid conversation, meaning that they had been playing ads when they should have been playing the bloody show!

Whats that about?? The DIY/Trade/White van man ads are nauseating when on at their permitted times...to give me an overdose of them is just so...........!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive been listening online on my wifi radio whilst up in the loft for a few days & I couldnt belive the amount of ads - far more than normal.

At first I thought I was just being paranoid but no, when the ads finished, they would return to the live coverage, in mid conversation, meaning that they had been playing ads when they should have been playing the bloody show!

Whats that about?? The DIY/Trade/White van man ads are nauseating when on at their permitted times...to give me an overdose of them is just so...........!!!!

Seen you off up into the loft has she?, just you, the storage boxes, the water tanks and talkSPORT eh Cricketer?. :D
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure how much more I can take of Brazil

"I mean, dont get me wrong, I like Davie but"

insert 20 minutes of anti Moyes Man U wankathon about their problems
This discussion has been closed.