Lycamobile 4G

Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So I had switched my giffgaff backup phone over to lycamobile, the difference is substantial, plus cheaper for more and use the same network.

Its cheaper, better value, and added benefit of 4G, I can actually use data on my backup phone if I want to now.

These are the typical speeds I get in my home with around "3 bars" and the mast isn't that close to my home: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/802816781

Comparing that to the 0.30Mbps I get on 3G.

Called lyca and asked them about any fair usage, speed caps or anything else I should know and they were straight up about it, they admitted 4G data is limited to 5GB, after that your speed is limited to 2G speeds.

More than enough as a backup phone and enough for a lot of people who would use less than 5GB per month.

Its fine for me as I have Three as my main phone, but would recommend those on giffgaff or considering giffgaff to move over to lyca.

Comments

• jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I too recommend lyca.

Tried out a SIM card with them and worked fine in my area.
    Good for international call rates as well. Plus enough data for your average user.

£12 is a bargain.
  • duffman25duffman25 Posts: 964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i went from giffgaff to them 3g speeds better and 4g very good 10gb i was told you get is a decent amount
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    So I had switched my giffgaff backup phone over to lycamobile, the difference is substantial, plus cheaper for more and use the same network.

Its cheaper, better value, and added benefit of 4G, I can actually use data on my backup phone if I want to now.

These are the typical speeds I get in my home with around "3 bars" and the mast isn't that close to my home: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/802816781

Comparing that to the 0.30Mbps I get on 3G.

Called lyca and asked them about any fair usage, speed caps or anything else I should know and they were straight up about it, they admitted 4G data is limited to 5GB, after that your speed is limited to 2G speeds.

More than enough as a backup phone and enough for a lot of people who would use less than 5GB per month.

Its fine for me as I have Three as my main phone, but would recommend those on giffgaff or considering giffgaff to move over to lyca.

I am exactly the same, I have a one plan sim only but like a back up on O2 or Voda for emergencies and had been with Giffgaff for that for years, moved it over to Lyca about 3 weeks ago. Even 3G is significantly faster on Lyca than Giffgaff, not too mention the idiotic 4G policy some imbecile working for Giffgaff thinks is a good way to roll it out.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffman25 wrote: »
    i went from giffgaff to them 3g speeds better and 4g very good 10gb i was told you get is a decent amount

I was told 5GB, either way whether 5GB or 10GB of 4G data for £12 is great value when compared to giffgaff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Anyone try this out?
    I purchased the UK Plan 12 to try out the 4G but my Galaxy S4 refuses to show me the LTE option with the sim inserted, only GSM/WCDMA.

With my usual T-Mobile (EE) sim I'm allowed to select the LTE/GSM/WCDMA option.

On Lycamobile's website it states that a new sim is not required for 4G.
  • AlecRAlecR Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was told 5GB, either way whether 5GB or 10GB of 4G data for £12 is great value when compared to giffgaff.

Pretty sure it's 10GB.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlecR wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's 10GB.

from where though? I was told by customer service it was 5GB...
    AsgharUK wrote: »
    Anyone try this out?
    I purchased the UK Plan 12 to try out the 4G but my Galaxy S4 refuses to show me the LTE option with the sim inserted, only GSM/WCDMA.

With my usual T-Mobile (EE) sim I'm allowed to select the LTE/GSM/WCDMA option.

On Lycamobile's website it states that a new sim is not required for 4G.

Works on my HTC One (sim free) and Nokia Lumia 925 (sim free)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    That's strange then, does yours come up as roaming?

The 3G speed is around average about 6Mbps, just want to try and see the 4G speed.
    Maybe try and force it to use 4G somehow.
  • AlecRAlecR Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The 3G speed is around average about 6Mbps, just want to try and see the 4G speed.

An app called Radio Switcher from the Play Store will let you do that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

it was coming up as roaming until I added the correct APN settings.

Also got a confirmation that its 10GB of 4G data, which is very good for the price.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    500 minutes unlimited texts and 10GB of 4G is very good value for 12 pounds a month. I haven't got a O2 sim at moment for testing a purposes may consider going with these. Certainly cheaper than going with O2 itself.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    500 minutes unlimited texts and 10GB of 4G is very good value for 12 pounds a month. I haven't got a O2 sim at moment for testing a purposes may consider going with these. Certainly cheaper than going with O2 itself.

Three is still better. Unlimited data 5000 texts and 600 mins for 12.90 on a 12 month sim only contract.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Hmmm. I'm not too sure when 10GB has suddenly come from

The T&C for UK Plan 12 quite clearly state that "Unlimited usage is subject only to a variation of speed from 3G to 2G for usage beyond 5GB per month per SIM"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Three is still better. Unlimited data 5000 texts and 600 mins for 12.90 on a 12 month sim only contract.

I've been considering getting a contract with Vodafone/O2 to see the growth of 3G/4G over next two years. Three is still my primary network provider at moment.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    I've been considering getting a contract with Vodafone/O2 to see the growth of 3G/4G over next two years. Three is still my primary network provider at moment.

If you don't mind me asking? Why's that. No network matches Three on price and data for sim only.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking? Why's that. No network matches Three on price and data for sim only.

It's mainly down to the fact I want to see if the difference between 800MHz and 1800MHz is significantly noticeable or not. Reason why I might go with lyca as it would only be really used for speed tests and coverage checks. May sound odd to you but can't imagine I am the only person interested.

Would be keeping Three as my main network I have a 15 pound One Plan 12 month sim only that is my main contract at moment. Likely will remain that way for a while. I know Jon does something similar.
    jabbamk1 wrote: »

The T&C for UK Plan 12 quite clearly state that "Unlimited usage is subject only to a variation of speed from 3G to 2G for usage beyond 5GB per month per SIM"

Ah well still easily enough for testing purposes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »

that's for 3G to 2G not 4G to 2G
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    A lot my family are on lyca and I'm thinking of moving to this deal.

They keep telling me that they have issues with reception at peak times. Is anybody here having similar issues
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    A lot my family are on lyca and I'm thinking of moving to this deal.

They keep telling me that they have issues with reception at peak times. Is anybody here having similar issues

maybe they have speed issues with 3G as O2's 3G is poor at best anyway, but I can say O2's 4G isn't the best but its more than useable.

I have my backup on lyca with 4G and it works great on 4G.

As long as you're in a 4G area it shouldn't be a problem.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    maybe they have speed issues with 3G as O2's 3G is poor at best anyway, but I can say O2's 4G isn't the best but its more than useable.

I have my backup on lyca with 4G and it works great on 4G.

As long as you're in a 4G area it shouldn't be a problem.

When I mean reception I mean actual phone reception, there all on payg no data as far as I'm aware. I'll give it a go anyway, 1 month contract theirs nothing to lose. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I mean reception I mean actual phone reception, there all on payg no data as far as I'm aware. I'll give it a go anyway, 1 month contract theirs nothing to lose. :)

do you have 4G coverage in your area?

Check the coverage map here and see what it says:

http://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member

Never had a problem with reception on O2, that's one of the strengths of O2 (over 2G, 3G and 4G).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    Never had a problem with reception on O2, that's one of the strengths of O2 (over 2G, 3G and 4G).

O2's 4G in London at least isn't that great I've noticed since I've been testing this with lyca with the amount of time they have had and the frequency they are using you would think it would be a lot better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was coming up as roaming until I added the correct APN settings.

Zee, may I ask what APN settings you used? I'm using the following on my Lumia 920 (running the WP8.1 Dev Preview), and I still have the roaming triangle.. would be nice to get rid of it (and to be able to keep data roaming switched off):

APN: data.lycamobile.co.uk
    Username : lmuk
    Password : plus
    Network type: IPv4
    Authentication type: PAP
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan 8t1 wrote: »
    Zee, may I ask what APN settings you used? I'm using the following on my Lumia 920 (running the WP8.1 Dev Preview), and I still have the roaming triangle.. would be nice to get rid of it (and to be able to keep data roaming switched off):

APN: data.lycamobile.co.uk
    Username : lmuk
    Password : plus
    Network type: IPv4
    Authentication type: PAP

those are correct, have you got data roaming selected too?