Sky TV prices will increase on 1 September

Comments

• the-masterthe-master Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kirstie, the value of rmoney of Sky Movies is relative to the user. I watch most if not all of the 4 new movies that premier each week. I have this week seen Sunshine on Leith and We're the Millers. Two top quality films (to me).

My mother has Netflix so I can make a direct comparison. Apart from a few premiers that are not on Sky, most of the films on Netflix are older and are not updated on such a regular basis. It depends on what you want from a pay wall movie service - I personally want all the latest and newest movies as quickly as possible which Sky offers. Capatain Phillips is on demand this week and on Premier from Friday. It is a chalk and cheese comparison between Sky Movies and Netflix and I would not want the latter.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the-master wrote: »
    Kirstie, the value of rmoney of Sky Movies is relative to the user. I watch most if not all of the 4 new movies that premier each week. I have this week seen Sunshine on Leith and We're the Millers. Two top quality films (to me).

My mother has Netflix so I can make a direct comparison. Apart from a few premiers that are not on Sky, most of the films on Netflix are older and are not updated on such a regular basis. It depends on what you want from a pay wall movie service - I personally want all the latest and newest movies as quickly as possible which Sky offers. Capatain Phillips is on demand this week and on Premier from Friday. It is a chalk and cheese comparison between Sky Movies and Netflix and I would not want the latter.

The other thing to remember is, if you have Sky Sports, then Sky Movies is only about £8 to add on, rather than the £16 without, so even better value if you like movies as well.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got my increase letter through the post.

I think enough is enough now. Very much likely to cancel.

The main thing I watch is Sports, so I'm already paying for the pre-requisite packages I don't even watch - Sport itself going up yet they're losing Champions League. I couldn't give a toss about the Euro National Qualifiers.

So yep, it's probably the straw that broke the camels back. It's as if they're actually trying to drive me to Virgin (my fibre broadband supplier) or BT.

Not happy.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    Just got my increase letter through the post.

I think enough is enough now. Very much likely to cancel.

The main thing I watch is Sports, so I'm already paying for the pre-requisite packages I don't even watch - Sport itself going up yet they're losing Champions League. I couldn't give a toss about the Euro National Qualifiers.

So yep, it's probably the straw that broke the camels back. It's as if they're actually trying to drive me to Virgin (my fibre broadband supplier) or BT.

Not happy.

http://contactus.sky.com/uk/sky-tv/cancel-sky-tv
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »

i got myself a Now Tv box, I got the Entertainment pack for 6 months, I should find something to watch on it. i must admit, I did think it would be slightly better.

What exactly did you expect?
  • duffman25duffman25 Posts: 964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thats what i did its a much better option i have freesat a with a freeview hd tv with now and all that cost is 4.99 its a hell of a lot cheap then sky.
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lucius12 wrote: »
    You are so WRONG. Where I live everyone not working has a dish from Sky and big tv 's
    SKY only care you pay every month, it does not matter to sky where the money comes from.
    If those you call poor did not have a service from sky then You? and I would be paying more

Ridiculous statement. It's not Sky's responsibility when folk put TV above food on the table.

People take responsibility for their own actions.
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,097
    Forum Member
    Vanbast wrote: »
    Sky Sports Pack (1 & 2) - £2.50

That's a pretty steep rise for Sky Sports. I suspect they are getting as much as they can this year because they lose the Champions League next year and justifying a rise will be pretty tough.

The movies rising in price is also a surprise. The movies market has become far more competitive in recent years and whilst Sky still get more of the newer movies, there's so many other options now that customers do now have lesser alternatives.

But too rich for my blood though, I'll be removing the Sports package come the 1st September. There's only so much I'm willing to pay for a luxury like Sky and they've passed that mark so from now on it looks like I'll slowly be removing services rather than adding them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Well got my letter through yesterday which showed a 7.5% rise and sent my bill over £50 a month and that's it - I'm off!

Just can't justify the expenditure anymore as most of the time we watch the Beeb/ITV etc.
    Had Sports but was becoming increasingly disillusioned with that and, if I'm honest, was finding I was watching it for the sake of it :confused:

So just need to get a Freesat box now before I'm cut off.............
  • bampsambampsam Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wakefijr wrote: »
    Well got my letter through yesterday which showed a 7.5% rise and sent my bill over £50 a month and that's it - I'm off!

Just can't justify the expenditure anymore as most of the time we watch the Beeb/ITV etc.
    Had Sports but was becoming increasingly disillusioned with that and, if I'm honest, was finding I was watching it for the sake of it :confused:

If you do move to freesat,get the HDR-1000S,you will not be disappointed. HD PQ is better than Sky.
  • duffman25duffman25 Posts: 964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yea i got that one the 1tb one for £169 very good box the epg is a hell of a lot better then sky

here is a good places to get freesat boxes cheap http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/Direct/Prod/33e37658-a4cb-40a5-a635-05b5d255287a

bampsam wrote: »
    If you do move to freesat,get the HDR-1000S,you will not be disappointed. HD PQ is better than Sky.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Bampsam - That is the one I'm looking at thank you.
    duffman25 - thats a very good price, thank you!
  • tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I may be another that decides to leave. I feel like I'm getting less whilst paying more. They put up the price, then removed box sets from my package, now they're putting up the price and removing Sky Go on consoles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I may be another that decides to leave. I feel like I'm getting less whilst paying more. They put up the price, then removed box sets from my package, now they're putting up the price and removing Sky Go on consoles.

boxsets have always required family pack (what was entertainment extra). if they have been removed for you then you must have changed package.

sky go is a free add-on for mobile platforms. it being free on consoles was always an anomaly - it makes sense (to me anyway) for consoles to be part of Sky Go Extra rather than basic Sky Go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    boxsets have always required family pack (what was entertainment extra). if they have been removed for you then you must have changed package.

sky go is a free add-on for mobile platforms. it being free on consoles was always an anomaly - it makes sense (to me anyway) for consoles to be part of Sky Go Extra rather than basic Sky Go.

Boxsets used to require Entertainment Extra (which is now Variety), but they switched it to requiring Entertainment Extra + (now the Family Pack).

Sky Go on consoles may have been an anomaly, but it is something that was included in the price, and soon won't be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boxsets used to require Entertainment Extra (which is now Variety), but they switched it to requiring Entertainment Extra + (now the Family Pack).

i meant entertainment extra+, not extra (missed out the plus).
    it's always been extra+ hasn't it?
    it hasn't changed recently if it wasn't (certainly not this year).
    Sky Go on consoles may have been an anomaly, but it is something that was included in the price, and soon won't be.

maybe so, but sky go is for viewing on devices not attached to a TV, so consoles should never have been part of that.
    sky are missing out on potential multiscreen revenue by allowing free access to sky on another TV.

but if someone feels they need to cancel because they now can't watch sky on an xbox then so be it.
    adios, sayonara, see ya etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i meant entertainment extra+, not extra (missed out the plus).
    it's always been extra+ hasn't it?
    it hasn't changed recently if it wasn't (certainly not this year).

They made the change last summer. What was particularly aggrieving about it was that Now TV customers who only pay £5 a month still have access to box sets.

It's not the fact that I can't access Sky Go on consoles anymore, I just don't think they offer as good value for money as they used to. I may take up their Now TV service as it (coupled with a freesat box) seems a better deal for those who don't subscribe to movies and sport.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They made the change last summer. What was particularly aggrieving about it was that Now TV customers who only pay £5 a month still have access to box sets.

so around a year ago then.
    It's not the fact that I can't access Sky Go on consoles anymore, I just don't think they offer as good value for money as they used to. I may take up their Now TV service as it (coupled with a freesat box) seems a better deal for those who don't subscribe to movies and sport.

it does come down to value for money.
    5pm for 10 channels on Now TV. i guess it comes down to whether those 10 channels are the ones you watch or not.
  • innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    The picture quality on Xbox + Sky Go is absolutely shocking anyway. The idea of paying £5 extra a month for it is laughable.

Sky needs to increase revenue per subscriber as customer growth becomes ever more challenging. So you're going to see a lot more of this trickery, price hikes, and services moving into tiers where additional fees are required. It's the easiest way to increase revenue/profit when customer gains alone aren't getting the job done.
  • REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My bill goes up by £3.50 (£1.00 variety, £2.50 sports) offset by t £7.50 reduction in Broadband for two years even though only contracted for eighteen months. If they lose more football in that time I might have to cut my losses. I only watch the English football. There are only so many hours in the day
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

All of our Sky experts are currently busy with other customers.
    Live Chat is available 8:30am to 8pm, 7 days a week.

All busy, taking cancellations ?

I am sure last week there hours were 7am till 11.30 pm ish , 7 days per week ?
  • Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the-master wrote: »

I suggest you get your mother mother a VPN account and access to Netflix USA/Canada or other regions then you will be right in saying it is a chalk and cheese comparison between Sky Movies and Netflix as the latter would be much better option.

Funny you say 4 new movies that premier each week as that confirms the overall premier movies reduction of 20%!

We used to get 5 new movies each week, amazingly as the prices go up the number of premieres reduced. Good for business less movies for more money but not so good for the consumer who pay more for less movies.
    wakefijr wrote: »

Woow people were on strike yesterday for getting 1% pay rise but good old Sky goes up 7.5%!

Having said that Sky is a business and want to keep their shareholders happy but they are taking risk for more profit, as you are now cancelling they would need more new customer, so it is already backfiring when people start voting with their feet.

This is the last season they have the Champions League and clearly they want to rip off sports customers for the last time, as they will not be able to increase those prices as aggressively when BT show Champions League.

WIth those new prices even half price offers sound expensive so I have to ask more than that next time I cancel :D
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As usual people mistakenly equate a few folk letting off steam on a tinpot forum with the population leaving Sky in their droves.

The reality is much closer to my own experience. My bill's gone up by £3.50 and it barely registers. It's very hard to summon up any feeling over £3.50. I'll pay more than that for a pint of Guinness later.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny you say 4 new movies that premier each week as that confirms the overall premier movies reduction of 20%!

We used to get 5 new movies each week,

Some weeks there are 6/7 movies premiering, it all depends on whats available. However since I had Sky Movies (first with Virgin, now with Sky) back in March 2013, they've only ever premiered 4 movies a week.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got my letter from sky saying my sub is going up £4. Mine has never gone up that much. Usually its £1 or£1.50. Apparently its due to all the new improvements.