Options

Nick Clegg/Lib Dems withdraw support for 'Bedroom Tax'

barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
Forum Member
Will be on news websites very soon and is on the front page of some newspapers tomorrow.

Somebody is cosying up to Labour!

Comments

• Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    still gonna be DESTROYED next year no matter what they declare .....
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But will people believe him or just see it as a cynical move in the run up to the election to try and win back a few voters
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judas Cleggscariot took his 30 pieces of silver and now he's seeking redemption, but it's far too late.

When people see this after have being exposed to the insufferable Danny Alexander defending the bedroom tax come what may, it'll be far too little too late.
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    But will people believe him or just see it as a cynical move in the run up to the election to try and win back a few voters
    I'd bet on the second option
    It's too late to withdraw support now as it's affected too many and the lib-dens can be seen as two-faced and willing to break promises and sell out to leech their way into power
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something resembling a spine from Clegg finally but clearly too little too late.
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    Well as much the Coalition seem to be doing rather well, the 'Bedroom Tax' policy isn't great. The principle is sound but the way it's been implemented is wrong. If anything, they should have said "if you have 2 spare rooms or more then you will have the fee taken from your Housing Benefit"

A point blank 1 spare room idea was silly. With the Election slowly coming around, it also seems highly likely that neither Labour or the Conservatives will win outright which means it may very well mean the Lib Dems staying in Power or UKIP coming into Government. Exciting times ahead I'm sure.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Something resembling a spine from Clegg finally but clearly too little too late.

How is giving up on a policy position he's supported for years in order to cosy up to Labour a demonstration of him showing "spine"? I've seen jellyfish with more vertebrae.

It will be interesting to see if Labour force a vote on this. Will the Lib Dems support the government, abstain or vote against? A vote against could be the end of the Coalition.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    How is giving up on a policy position he's supported for years in order to cosy up to Labour a demonstration of him showing "spine"? I've seen jellyfish with more vertebrae.

It will be interesting to see if Labour force a vote on this. Will the Lib Dems support the government, abstain or vote against? A vote against could be the end of the Coalition.
    I surpose after reading the DWP report, they can see its a failing and is just causing problems for tenants councils housing department and HAs and is causing big money problems for all concerned
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Nick Clegg/Lib Dems withdraw support for 'Bedroom Tax'

It's a bit late now to remove support for this Bedroom Tax (which was a New Labour original idea) since they actually supported its introduction. This move looks shabby and cynical and it won't help them.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Only if they lost a vote of confidence.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, if you look at the detail of what they have said, they aren't calling for the spare room subsidy to be scrapped, just that it will only apply to tenants who refuse an offer of a smaller accommodation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So, if you look at the detail of what they have said, they aren't calling for the spare room subsidy to be scrapped, just that it will only apply to tenants who refuse an offer of a smaller accommodation.
    Well most people have been saying that is fair and i agree, the house of lords asked for that when it was being debated but the government refused. That is how it should have been from day 1
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say I blame Cleggy for trying to distance him and his party from this one.
    In his position I think I'd do the same.

The principle was reasonably sound (even though I'd have defined things in terms of total square feet of living area per person as opposed to number of partition walls in a property) but that which emerged on the back of that simplistic notion is complete and utter crap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes the councils, HAs and all the charities and charitable organisations were told they did not know what they were talking about and doing nothing but scaremongering but seems they knew best from day 1. And in the end the DWPs own report shows its failing badly, Pity that the whole policy was based on untruths misinformation, and sometimes dam straight lies. It never was about people down sizing
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the government going to apologise to all the people they whose lives they made a nightmare through this?

They refused to listen. Now years later they admit it was wrong, and everyone hurt by it is supposed to say 'oh, okay, thanks'.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To think, the scum who were defending this and belittling the people who were having to suffer and dare question it.

There were never enough places to downsize to, it was just a terrible penalty on the poor who could do nothing to avoid it.
  • Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bss0LcGIEAAZeEj.jpg:large

There are the 250 MPs who voted for it, my Lib Dem MP Lorely Burt is on that list, she's lost my vote for next year, Green Party it is.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is a spineless idiot, He knows the Lib Dem's will be damaged after the election and he will prob lose the post of party leader very soon afterwards, For the last four years he has quite happily gone along with Tory policies no matter how nasty they are , He has lied and dodged his way thru his time as Deputy PM and now he is finally facing up to reality now his little power trip is coming to an end ....... no amount of back tracking is going to save you at the polls Mr Clegg
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bss0LcGIEAAZeEj.jpg:large

There are the 250 MPs who voted for it, my Lib Dem MP Lorely Burt is on that list, she's lost my vote for next year, Green Party it is.

My MP voted also, never voted for him anyway hopefully he won't be standing next year due to the fact he is about to turn 70
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hahaha

Far too little, far too late.

The Lib Dems lost me to The Greens long ago in this parliament..
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They say they want it reformed, not scrapped.
    Danny Alexander writes in the paper that disabled adults should be exempt from the measure and that no one should have their housing benefit cut unless they are offered a suitable smaller home.

While I think it's too little, too late - personally, I agree with him on both those points and wish that had been implemented from the start.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    While I think it's too little, too late - personally, I agree with him on both those points and wish that had been implemented from the start.
    Which is what everyone not a government shill said at the time. So why are the Lib-Dums just realising that now.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Which is what everyone not a government shill said at the time. So why are the Lib-Dums just realising that now.

Far from it, the chorus of animosity from the Labour shills demanded that the entire idea be consigned to the dustbin. Room for negotiation? Very funny...

The Lib-Dems are realising it now because there's an election on the horizon. But you knew that...
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Far from it, the chorus of animosity from the Labour shills demanded that the entire idea be consigned to the dustbin. Room for negotiation?
    Government refused to listen, therefore the only other option is scrapping it totally.

BTW any evidence that it's achieving it's goal of cutting overcrowding?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »

At a guess after reading the DWP interim report that got released the other day very quietly.