Options

The "Rivers of Blood" speech by John Enoch Powell

BlizzardUKBlizzardUK Posts: 4,965
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have to say I knew nothing of this term or speech, although I did know Enoch Powell was known for his views on immigration. But while watching the 1966 repeat of the BBC Election today and seeing him be re-elected, it reminded me. So I looked on Youtube and found his speech.

What I noticed is it is a lot of what people are saying today. Was is it controversial back then ?

Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gkBr-qvo-4

Comments

• Options
    R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too late for that speech now, heed wasn't taken, the enemy is already within, and populating like Ebonys Hamsters.

http://www.standard.co.uk/incoming/article9608220.ece/alternates/w620/BBC-protest.jpg

How can this end well?
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the greatest orations in modern English history!
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,492
    Forum Member
    Powell was wrong. Nothing he predicted has occured.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all going to be sunshine and happiness having every faction of hate on our small island.

Happy, happy, joy joy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Powell was wrong. Nothing he predicted has occured.

You are right, this will never come to a head.

It's just paranoia.

That's why the top name for English new born boys in England is Mohammed or a connotation on spelling of the name.

To be fair the top boys name in Saudi Arabia is Joshua.......
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no them and us. There is only us.

There is no England, there is only and island that is part of the rest of the world

There is no English culture, there is only world cultre. Some of which is english.

There is no England. Just people who refuse to embrace there brothers and sisters across there world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is no England, there is only and island that is part of the rest of the world

There is no English culture, there is only world cultre. Some of which is english.

There is no England. Just people who refuse to embrace there brothers and sisters across there world.

There WILL be Islam.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R82n8 wrote: »
    There WILL be Islam.

What aisle? I'm running out!
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    One of the greatest orations in modern English history!

It's up there with Churchill's finest. Shame he was a racist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What aisle? I'm running out!

Isle 2:191-193, just next to the CD's selling the Happy song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened?
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's just paranoia.

That's why the top name for English new born boys in England is Mohammed or a connotation on spelling of the name.

Well yes it is paranoia. You would have to be pretty paranoid to get annoyed by that. And remember Powell said 'in 20 years time the black man will have the upper hand '. Here we are nearly 50 years later and most powerful jobs are still vacated by white men. It was paranoid and racist shite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well yes it is paranoia. You would have to be pretty paranoid to get annoyed by that. And remember Powell said 'in 20 years time the black man will have the upper hand '. Here we are nearly 50 years later and most powerful jobs are still vacated by white men. It was paranoid and racist shite.

He got it wrong thinking it would be race.

It will be religion.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    I wonder how that speech would have been received by ethnic British Londoners at the time if they knew that within two generations they would be a minority in their own city and as pointed out by others, Mohammed would be the most popular boys name year on year. A massive change in their society that was never debated fully and they never got a vote in.
    Of course anyone predicting this at the time would have been shouted down as a racist and exaggerating for effect.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As long as there is a Scotland or Wales in Great Britain there'll always be an England.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

It's just paranoia.

no it isn`t.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Here we go again. How to be branded a bigot, Simply dare to disapprove of 'mass' immigration. Leaving aside that present mass immigration rates will bring us on line to having a city with populations the size of Birmingham every 2 or so years, and leaving aside the huge strains on our already creaking overloaded schools hospitals prisons, roads water not to mention shortage of housing and extra pollution more people will produce, Would it be inappropriate to put in a word regarding -
    OVERPOPULATION !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member

There is no Dana, only Zuul.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    Here we go again. How to be branded a bigot, Simply dare to disapprove of 'mass' immigration. Leaving aside that present mass immigration rates will bring us on line to having a city with populations the size of Birmingham every 2 or so years, and leaving aside the huge strains on our already creaking overloaded schools hospitals prisons, roads water not to mention shortage of housing and extra pollution more people will produce, Would it be inappropriate to put in a word regarding -
    OVERPOPULATION !

How dare you! You right wing racist!

We can take everyone, the more the merrier.

I think more devout Muslims would be the best for our society.

Because it's really not going to end up like Bosnia!
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member

Hogwash. It's a hippy pipedream to deny diversity like that. Figure out how to get along with different people instead of making things up saying we're all the same.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member

It's just paranoia.

That's funny it's number 19 on the list I read. The very English Harry is number one. Mind you someone I know is called Stuart and he's black :O It's a topsy turvy world we live in
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Hogwash. It's a hippy pipedream to deny diversity like that. Figure out how to get along with different people instead of making things up saying we're all the same.

There are no different people. We all want the same thing, to be happy, successful, respected and loved.

Race, class, religion, nationality are all ways we artificially differentiate ourselves. There an illusion.

You believe what you believe, because you grew up in a certain surrounding. Thoses conditions have shaped your view on what you conceder 'normal.' that too is an illusion.

Had you had grown up a Muslim, would you think any different?.....
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how that speech would have been received by ethnic British Londoners at the time if they knew that within two generations they would be a minority in their own city and as pointed out by others, Mohammed would be the most popular boys name year on year. A massive change in their society that was never debated fully and they never got a vote in.
    Of course anyone predicting this at the time would have been shouted down as a racist and exaggerating for effect.

London was founded by immigrants so it's not the best example to choose, frankly, if we're going on a who-was-here-first basis.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Powell was coming across like Nick Griffin does. I think the reason why he was popular with voters was because there was quite a bit of racism back then. He was using people's racism to try and keep their votes. He was the 60s version of Nick Griffin. But yeah, he was proved wrong as the decades went by.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How dare you! You right wing racist!

We can take everyone, the more the merrier.

I think more devout Muslims would be the best for our society.

Because it's really not going to end up like Bosnia!

No we can't. In case you haven't noticed, our island is tiny compared to some other countries. Yes, take some immigrants in, but don't go mad letting everyone in though, especially not permanently.