Office 2007 Word

lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
Forum Member
✭✭
Can someone tell me if I have a document that was created on Microsoft Word 2007, if I send it as an email attachment is the receiver going to be able to open and read the file if, for example, they are using a more recent Office program?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    In short: yes.
  • lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok I thought there might be some sort of converter problems?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most versions of Office can open documents created in earlier versions without too many issues. In some cases you can get add-ons for older versions of Office that let them open documents created in later versions.

So unless the recipient is using a very old copy of Word then chances are there is a way to open a Word 2007 document in whatever version they are using.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and if all else fails there are freely available viewers on the Microsoft website that allow reading (but obviously not editing/creating) Word docs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The attachment is my cv so I really need the company to be able to read it which is why I was concerned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they only need to read it then consider converting it to PDF. I would be surprised if they didn't have some form of PDF reader available. Then you won't have to worry about what if any version of Word they have.
  • Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a cv you would be well advised to create a .pdf file. If you do not have Acrobat or Word 2010 to do this then use something free such as CutePDF.

This ensures that anyone can read it and all formatting is preserved.
  • cp2cp2 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If your document was created in Word 2007 there is an option to save in the format of an earlier version which might make it easier to open for people using an earlier version.
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone with Word 2003 or earlier cannot natively view Word 2007 (or newer) documents. They will need to download and install a compatibility pack from Microsoft.

Someone with Word 2007 or newer can view your document fine.

The problem is that Word 2003 and older use the .doc extension. Word 2007 and newer use .docx. Word 2007 and newer are backward compatible with .doc. Whereas Word 2003 does not know what to do with a .docx file, without the compatibility pack.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    If they only need to read it then consider converting it to PDF.
    I very strongly concur with this. Go with PDF to maximize readability and to preserve your formatting exactly as you've written it.

Good luck!