Options

Why Would Millionairess Janine want to stay in Walford

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Totally disliked, with no real family ties, lives in an old terrace house & don't even have a garage to keep her car in. What were the writers thinking about?..:confused::confused:

Comments

• Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to live in the same area I grew up in. . .
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So she can rub everything in Michael's face and watch him turn green.
  • Options
    Otis HillOtis Hill Posts: 2,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    Totally disliked, with no real family ties, lives in an old terrace house & don't even have a garage to keep her car in. What were the writers thinking about?..:confused::confused:

She owns several properties within walking distance of the square where she can keep her car. I think the main reason she hangs around the square is because she grew up there, she probably still has feelings for Michael and her ultimate goal is to own the Vic since that's where she was happiest when she was a kid.
  • Options
    IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Took the words right out of my mouth Otis
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think making her rich should of been her exit storyline when Brooks wanted to leave. Giving a character everything they want ultimately makes a character stale and uninteresting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aaron1995 wrote: »
    I think making her rich should of been her exit storyline when Brooks wanted to leave. Giving a character everything they want ultimately makes a character stale and uninteresting.

Tbf to Janine, it worked until her departure last year.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She just wants to lord it over those who, rightly, used to look down on her.

She only employs Silly Billy so she can boss him about
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because the lovely Michael is there, of course.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    am not sure it's millions anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    leeruk wrote: »
    am not sure it's millions anymore.

She hasn't mentioned millions recently has she, usually thousands. Having said that, she has made some smart investments so you never know
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    SteveOwen wrote: »
    Because the lovely Michael is there, of course.

It would make anyone stay :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member
    Otis Hill wrote: »
    She owns several properties within walking distance of the square where she can keep her car. I think the main reason she hangs around the square is because she grew up there, she probably still has feelings for Michael and her ultimate goal is to own the Vic since that's where she was happiest when she was a kid.

Sorry, but Her wanting to own the vic is a HUGE retcon since she never previously expressed ANY attachment to it at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Filiman wrote: »
    Sorry, but Her wanting to own the vic is a HUGE retcon since she never previously expressed ANY attachment to it at all.

Well it is pretty obvious EE has grown accustomed to these major retcons :sleep:.
  • Options
    maggiekmaggiek Posts: 2,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In response to the OP: ya' got me.

I haven't seen the show in ages yet always wondered how people in EE would own a Mercedes or BMW yet don't have a washing machine. That's soapland for you :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no real reason but hey, I love Janine so I'm not complaining! :D
    maggiek wrote: »
    In response to the OP: ya' got me.

I haven't seen the show in ages yet always wondered how people in EE would own a Mercedes or BMW yet don't have a washing machine. That's soapland for you :)

Haven't seen the show in ages...yet feel compelled to drop by every once in a while to remind us of the fact :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member
    Well it is pretty obvious EE has grown accustomed to these major retcons :sleep:.

Alas yes - sign of VERY lazy writers. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alas yes - sign of VERY lazy writers. :(

They all get an "F" for history.
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think she does want the Vic i only recall her once mentioning she wanted to buy the Vic and that was to Peggy in what i assumed was an attempt to wind her up.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Giving a character everything they want ultimately makes a character stale and uninteresting.

Yes it does!
    But you can bet your bottom dollar, sooner or later Janine will come crashing back down.
  • Options
    Check it outCheck it out Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Was poor, gold digging Janine not already stale though? Giving her money has rejuvenated her.
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was those few episodes when she first got rich and she told Phil she was 'coming for the Vic after everything else' or words to that effect. I assume that was used to justify her staying around, wanting to lord it over the residents she perceived as looking down at her for so long.

Although it's not unusual that someone with decent wealth with a lot of cash tied up in property would live in a decent sized house in London, especially when her office and several business interests are local.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was poor, gold digging Janine not already stale though? Giving her money has rejuvenated her.

When she was poor she was more bitchier, scheming, conniving. I preferred her those days because you didn't know what she would do next. However she was written well during Bryan Kirkwood's tenure. During Lorraine Newman's tenure her character has become petty and repetitive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Really? When she was Archie, she really wanted to be joint owner of the Vic and lordedit over Tracey if I remmeber on Xmas day. And when she bought Roxys share in R&R she said to Phil 'First this place... then I'm coming for the Vic.'

The Vic was where she was happiest as she explained to Archie. So yes she has wanted to own it before
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    I think it is purely so she can be a big fish in a small pond.

If she was mixing with people of equivalent wealth, she wouldn't be able to Lord it over them - owning properties and being able to hold her wealth over people's heads to either play Lady Bountiful or punish them for insubordination makes her feel powerful and she enjoys that. Especially as it is to people who she feels have tormented her and looked down on her in the past.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Although she did say that to Archie, I think her wanting The Vic will be more as a status symbol than personal affection - it is 'the' business and hub of the Square. It is the perception that whoever owns it, is the Lord of the Manor.