films with great cinematography and musical scores?

circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
Forum Member
✭✭
hey

i am a huge fan of films like drive, place beyond the pines and blue heaven. i was wondering if anyone can reccomend any similar films? as title suggests i am looking for films that look amazing but also sound it too, but that is possible with long silences too mind!

TPBTP and Blue Heaven have same director i have found out, so i imdb drive director and he has a new film called "only god forgives" that i will be watching soon. i also like friday night lights movie and tv show.

anyone got any good recommendations on top of that? Thanks

Comments

• Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Not quite in the same genre but Once Upon a Time in The West gets my vote. Plus anything by Stanley Kubrick.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    David Lean. The classics - Lawrence of Arabia and Dr Zhivago.
    Any of the Ennio Morricone westerns, if westerns are your thing.
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

A lost masterpiece, with great acting, direction, cinematography and musical score.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks for the replies, i will check out The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford first off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Once Upon a Time in The West - absolute classic
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A rather broad subject

Blade Runner
    The Straight Story
    Lawrence of Arabia
    Black Narcissus
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    A rather broad subject

Blade Runner
    The Straight Story
    Lawrence of Arabia
    Black Narcissus

yeh sorry, i didnt know how to describe exactly what i meant i guess

i have seen blade runner and loved it.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's one of my favourite types of film. Not sure if these work for you, but I might as well to suggest them:

3-Iron (2004) (Ki-duk Kim's other films are similar, but this is the only one I truly liked)
    Paris, Texas (1984)
    Dersu Uzala [The Hunter] (1975) (Akira Kurosawa's Russian-language film)
    Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)
    Never Cry Wolf (1983)
    The Thin Blue Line (1988) (documentary)
    The Straight Story (1999)
    Departures (2008)
    Sansho the Bailiff (1954)
    Pathfinder (1997)
    Any Terence Malick film.
    Edit: All About Lily Chou-Chou.
    Edit: A Bittersweet Life

Although not quite what you're asking for, but you might like Terrence Davies's Liverpool trilogy - Distant Voices, Still Lives (1988), The Long Day Closes (1992) and unfortunately, the weakest of the trilogy: The Neon Bible (1995), so don't bother watching this one

tokyo.sora [Tokyo.Skies] (2002) has little dialogue and music and pretty much no plot, but in spite of my minor issues with it, I couldn't forget this film for a while. I don't know if that's a good thing. :D

I didn't like Ashes of Time (1994), but this crops up a lot in others' lists of similar films from above. There is also Ashes of Time Redux, which is the re-edited and re-scored version, but I haven't seen it yet. I liked two of Kar Wa Wong's other films - In the Mood For Love and Chungking Express - more, though.

This is getting long, so I'd better stop listing more films. :sheepish:
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    thanks for the replies, i will check out The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford first off.

Well I hope you like it. It's quite a slow haunting film, and the soundtrack fits the mood perfectly.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si0m1H2Hmqk
    Forum Member
    Michael Mann is a director worth looking at too. Especially Thief, Manhunter, Heat and Last of the Mohicans. When I saw Drive I was reminded a lot of Thief.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i watched heat when i was 14 i think! i remember being dissapointed and finding it boring.

i am now 31, think its time to watch again.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite film for cinematography and musical score is Gattaca starring Ethan Hawke, Jude Law and Uma Thurman. It is actually my favourite film.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    My favourite film for cinematography and musical score is Gattaca starring Ethan Hawke, Jude Law and Uma Thurman. It is actually my favourite film.

I second that! One of my favourites, too.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    This may be a bit off kilter for this thread but The Man Who Wasn't There is a good athmospheric film imo.

A lovely soundtrack and nice film noir cinematography.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    For cinematography you need to see Barry Lyndon.

After that, well, you work your way down...
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    I thought dances with wolves looks and sounded great.
    Forum Member
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    I thought dances with wolves looks and sounded great.

John Barry was such a great composer, he really enhanced every film he worked on.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    John Barry was such a great composer, he really enhanced every film he worked on.

also Out of Africa!

Just rewatched Moon and the Clint Mansell soundtrack is great on that.

Others worth checking out are Requiem for a dream & Sunshine
    Forum Member
    also Out of Africa!

Just rewatched Moon and the Clint Mansell soundtrack is great on that.

Others worth checking out are Requiem for a dream & Sunshine

I was at an airshow and the French aerobatic team La Patrouille De France did their display to the theme from Out of Africa. Brilliant stuff.

If you like Barry's music his album The Beyondness of Things is worth listening to.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For cinematography, look up Janusz Kaminski in imdb and pick any film in the list. For music, look up John Williams. Cross-reference the two, and you've got pretty much every Spielberg film from the last twenty years for a tripple-whammy of excellence, but particulary Schindler's List, Amistad and Saving Private Ryan.
  • BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Fair Lady comes to mind.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    For cinematography, look up Janusz Kaminski in imdb and pick any film in the list.
    Some of his work with Spielberg reminds you that a good cinematographer can apply a very classy varnish to a rather cheap painting.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of his work with Spielberg reminds you that a good cinematographer can apply a very classy varnish to a rather cheap painting.
    That's a good way of putting it. Overall I didn't really like Lincoln, but Kaminski's (and Day-Lewis's) work on it is outstanding. The film, I feel, is less than the sum of its parts.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are a lot, films like Zulu, Dances with Wolves, 2001, anything John Barry wrote is worth looking at.
    Forum Member
    Alien with Ridley Scott's atmospheric photography and the great Jerry Goldsmith's score. Like Barry, Morricone, Williams and Bernstein he's one of the greats who really add something special to any movie they've scored.