I
thought I was upgrading but I find it full of BUGS...going back to 7
what's it like for you.:(

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is comfortably superior to Windows 7. What issues are you experiencing?
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I run Windows 7 64-bit on my main PC because Windows 8 was having some conflicts with a few of my games. However, on the Surface Pro 2 Windows 8.1 is perfect, but then it was chiefly designed to run on such devices.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simsini wrote: »
    It is comfortably superior to Windows 7.

Sure if you like Tetris. :D
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Windows 8.1 is marginally better than 8, but 8 is so much worse than 7, primarily because of the horrible interface. One horrible bug that took me the best part of an hour to fix was getting a new user account to use the UK keyboard - it kept reverting to US keyboard and you had to go through a ridiculous procedure of installing this and deleting that before it was fixed. Inexcusable to have such a basic flaw in software.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are various third-party utilities which fix most of the catastrophic user interface design mistakes in Windows 8. Microsoft are still in the process of trying to catch up with them and another update is due soon. However, things won't be fully fixed until at least Windows 9.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    ecckles wrote: »
    I
    thought I was upgrading but I find it full of BUGS...going back to 7
    what's it like for you.:(

What bugs?

Mine is fine.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Windows 8.1 is marginally better than 8, but 8 is so much worse than 7, primarily because of the horrible interface. One horrible bug that took me the best part of an hour to fix was getting a new user account to use the UK keyboard - it kept reverting to US keyboard and you had to go through a ridiculous procedure of installing this and deleting that before it was fixed. Inexcusable to have such a basic flaw in software.

That's an odd one, I've not had any issues with keyboards since Vista did away with the silly "Well you've selected the UK for your region, and you've selected a UK keyboard, but we'll still install the US versions because, well everyone needs the US layout and dictionary installed by default".

It didn't even take that long to change keyboard layouts under XP, 95 and 3.11, it was typically open up the CP, go to the keyboard/mouse and tell it the layout to use.

Personally I find 8 a little quicker than 7 (and it has more drivers by default for newer hardware), but the default interface is pretty poor for a PC, and it took me a while to get used to it (I still get thrown by things like the network pages being slightly different).
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I found it incredibly confusing at first.........it was installed on a new laptop and I didn't know anything about it

Fortunately there was a little 'Idiot's Guide' in the box with the new laptop which I had to resort to........

Eventually I figured out that all you need to do is click on Desktop, get your favourite programmes pinned to the desktop toolbar and discover that sliding thing from the right hand side that let's you shut down

You can ignore all those tiles and things that slide across and up and down the screen
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    oh yeah..........one big advantage of 8 is that it does start really quick........a few seconds

My previous laptop was a bit knackered and had windows 7 and it was taking 15 minutes from switching on to being able to start work or whatever
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in before it gets moved to the correct sub-forum :)
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Embarrassingly I'm still using XP. I hate change but I guess I'm going to have to face a change very soon. I hate fixing what isn't broke.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was on my new laptop for an hour until I found my Xubuntu live USB and figured out how to get into the BIOS (damn fast boot and secure boot :mad:).
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hated 8

Happily on 7 again and don't feel the need to change :)
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    oh yeah..........one big advantage of 8 is that it does start really quick........a few seconds

My previous laptop was a bit knackered and had windows 7 and it was taking 15 minutes from switching on to being able to start work or whatever

15 minutes? That's more than a bit knackered. :o
  • Options
    Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    It's surprising just how many issues there are with Windows 8. Today I had a problem with the HDMI connection from laptop -> TV because the audio wouldn't play through the TV, despite ensuring that the TV was set to default on the laptop sound settings and testing the speakers. When I looked online for a solution, I found so many pages of people complaining that this incident happened after updating to Windows 8, or 8.1 and on a Microsoft messing board, they basically said "sorry for your troubles, check your volume on the TV is high enough then get back to us" and failed to reply when several other people posted saying they're having the same problem and therefore it must be Windows 8 at fault.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh, and anyone who's not yet updated to 8.1, beware. It takes a bloody hour to do and nothing looks any differently >:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Embarrassingly I'm still using XP. I hate change but I guess I'm going to have to face a change very soon. I hate fixing what isn't broke.

I have XP on my 2nd PC - I LOVE IT!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mel94 wrote: »
    It's surprising just how many issues there are with Windows 8.
    Not really that surprising.

If you were a Microsoft programmer when Windows 8 was being designed and saw the plans for Metro what would you have done? Perceive the inevitable forthcoming disaster and got out if possible, leaving behind only the yes-men and the incompetent to try bodging up the decades-only bloatware yet again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I am an IT professional and I prefer XP to anything newer, Vista was rubbish, 8 is a joke, 7 cannot run a lot of programs XP can
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am an IT professional and I prefer XP to anything newer, Vista was rubbish, 8 is a joke, 7 cannot run a lot of programs XP can

Well I'm glad I'm not alone in loving Xp, it does everything I want it to but I keep getting warnings that it will be insecure soon due to there being no updates.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree and why MS are going to stop support I'll never know.

I can see what Steve Jobs meant when he said MS software is bug-ridden shit :kitty:
  • Options
    izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never had a single problem with either 8 or 8.1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    Agree and why MS are going to stop support I'll never know.
    Money.

Microsoft will have to continue providing support for XP for big organisations but they won't provide it free to the general public any more, hoping that people will convert to Windows 9 (obviously not Windows 8, they've virtually given up on that disaster now) - but a lot of people are converting to Chromebooks and tablets instead, and in many cases they won't come back to Windows even if Windows 9 is ok.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    Not really that surprising.

If you were a Microsoft programmer when Windows 8 was being designed and saw the plans for Metro what would you have done? Perceive the inevitable forthcoming disaster and got out if possible, leaving behind only the yes-men and the incompetent to try bodging up the decades-only bloatware yet again.

I didn't follow any reports while it was being designed or anything so I don't know how the programmers reacted or anything so if that's how you say it happened then, ok. Surely a company like that should be trying to make the customers happy when that's where their profit comes from, instead of taking them for mugs, especially when it's not the first time they've made many problems with their operating system.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Windows 8 with Classic Shell is better than Windows 7

Windows 8 without Classic Shell is the worst thing ever invented

Classic shell is a program that makes window 8 look like windows 7