People that don't season food or "English style"

BrotherDanielBrotherDaniel Posts: 1,439
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is this generally a English thing to not season food?

I've witnessed so many friends/relatives for example use only salt & pepper to season a chicken :o bland or what

The same with lamb, just a sprinkle salt & pepper and then they dish it up.

I'd love for someone who is guilty of doing this, to try to explain it to me.

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Some people don't even bother with salt and pepper or herbs.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    the only person i know who cooks that way is my mother.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    I suppose it depends how tasty the food is in the first place.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On average, 'English' food is quite bland - in my opinion.

Even the franchises are a bit bland to cater to the general population. KFC here is horrible, whereas KFC in other countries, there's spicy chicken!

These are all mere generalisations, and I hope anyone who is about to take offence is aware of that.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    sweh wrote: »
    On average, 'English' food is quite bland - in my opinion.

Even the franchises are a bit bland to cater to the general population. KFC here is horrible, whereas KFC in other countries, there's spicy chicken!

These are all mere generalisations, and I hope anyone who is about to take offence is aware of that.

you should try addenbrookes hospital`s branch of burger king, they put very few chips on their portions of salt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you should try addenbrookes hospital`s branch of burger king, they put very few chips on their salt.

Haha! That sounds good.

Who needs fries when you've got salt, eh?
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't season much.

Explain it? The food tastes nice to me without it.
  • BrotherDanielBrotherDaniel Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »
    I suppose it depends how tasty the food is in the first place.

You know that before you cook it
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My tendency to only put salt on chicken stems from my allergy to pepper and dislike for other spices.

I didn't realise how I eat would bother anyone else so much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    I don't season much.

Explain it? The food tastes nice to me without it.

Ok a breast of chicken just seasoned with salt & pepper tastes like cardboard.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In your opinion. You do know people like different things, right?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Being a member of DS is going to be awfully unnerving for you if you think your opinions and tastes are the only possibly ones.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    habit

eat unseasoned food often enough and youll get used to the subtle flavours. over seasoning makes no sense, you may as well just eat salt.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tastes like chicken to me. Where do you get your chicken from?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Your chicken is more likely overcooked than under-seasoned if it tastes like cardboard.
  • JessTheCatJessTheCat Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all depends on the quality of the meat. If you've got a really decent steak you don't want to lose the flavour! My OH is very guilty of that - last week I splashed out on some monkfish tails for a bit of a special dinner and he put so much seasoning on them that all their flavour was lost :(

I like a bit of seasoning but I don't like it to overwhelm the taste of the food. As OH is Jamaican and likes to cook I've got used to highly seasoned food but sometimes I really enjoy a traditional English meal (what I grew up with) - I don't think it's bland, I like it! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok let's think about all these cooking shows on tv, honestly have you saw any chef of skill for example say this....

Open the chicken, gently salt & pepper the chicken then bang in it in the oven, job done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habit

eat unseasoned food often enough and youll get used to the subtle flavours. over seasoning makes no sense, you may as well just eat salt.

Mistake number one assuming all seasoning is just salt. Cliche
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok let's think about all these cooking shows on tv, honestly have you saw any chef of skill for example say this....

Open the chicken, gently salt & pepper the chicken then bang in it in the oven, job done.

I don't watch any, but I imagine they don't. That's because that suits their palate, but not mine. Heard of the idea that different people like different things? Apply it here.
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be put out if someone served me chateaubriand or fillet steak that was seasoned.

A separate sauce is always nice though :)
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I season everything with a little (not loads) of salt & pepper, I don't like bland food. My fiance does not season his food.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes I've seen shows like that but they also mention either butter or olive oil of some sort too.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's most likely down to cheap chicken breasts that are pumped full of water. The water evaporates during cooking and leaves them dry, or the worse case scenario the water leeches out and starts to boils the chicken.
  • fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't put salt in food.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't watch any, but I imagine they don't. That's because that suits their palate, but not mine. Heard of the idea that different people like different things? Apply it here.

I don't think that's correct, I think it's just people not willing to experiment with herbs & spices.