Options

The black flag of ISIS flying over East London council estate

deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/07/flag-isis-jihadi-islamic-state-flown-poplar-east-london

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/08/the-black-flag-of-isis-is-flying-in-london/
Guardian wrote:

A black flag with white Arabic writing, similar to those flown by jihadist groups, was flying at the entrance of an east London housing state near Canary Wharf.

In a highly provocative gesture, the emblem was planted on top of the gates of the Will Crooks estate on Poplar High Street, and is surrounded by flags of Palestine and slogans.

The flag bears similar writing to the jihadi flags that have been flown by the extremist group in Iraq and other jihadi groups since the 1990s. When the estate was approached last night, a group of about 20 Asian youths swore at Guardian journalists and told them to leave the area immediately. One youth threatened to smash a camera.

When a passerby tried to take a picture of the flag on a phone, one of the gang asked him if he was Jewish. The passerby replied: "Would it make a difference?" The youth said: "Yes, it ####### would." Asked if the flag was an Isis flag, one local man said: "It is just the flag of Allah." But another man asked: "So what if it is?"

One local man said that the flag has been there for several days. "People were taking photos of it last night," he said. A Metropolitan police spokesman said on Thursday that they had received no complaints about offensive flags in the Tower Hamlets area. The Dutch government has banned the public display of the Isis flag, but it is not illegal in the UK.

There are people forced on to a mountain in Iraq to die of thirst or be murdered if they refuse to convert to Islam, yet what I assume are British citizens, have more loyalty to the perpetrators than they do to their own country. British troops could be fighting these people the way things are going. The east end of London is becoming a state within a state. The mayor is controversial and even the Labour party struggle to win votes in this inner London borough.

Comments

• Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunch of nutters (20 or so) fly a flag to provoke a reaction, some people 'help' them by providing a reaction.

Years and years ago in my late teens (late 60s early 70s) when I was young and impressionable, as most young testosterone fuelled males are,
    myself and lots of my biker mates used to wear swastika badges and various Nazi emblems, (I even wore a German WW2 helmet instead of a crash helmet at times,)
    we would often get irate members of the public, or workmates or our parents demanding that we take them off, pub landlords would flat out refuse to serve us,

many would accuse us of being Nazis, and we would just laugh, because the whole point was to seem 'rebellious' and to piss the 'oldies' off, we wore the damn things to provoke a reaction and for no other reason, and it worked a treat,
    Had they just ignored us then we would soon have got bored with it,

Unless of course you seriously think we are about to have our towns and cities over run by ISIS forces because a bunch of idiots are flying a flag?
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Silly question, but why did no-one get an Arabic reader to tell them what was on the flag? A black flag with Arabic writing could say anything, it would be nice to know what.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bunch of nutters (20 or so) fly a flag to provoke a reaction, some people 'help' them by providing a reaction.

Years and years ago in my late teens (late 60s early 70s) when I was young and impressionable, as most young testosterone fuelled males are,
    myself and lots of my biker mates used to wear swastika badges and various Nazi emblems, (I even wore a German WW2 helmet instead of a crash helmet at times,)
    we would often get irate members of the public, or workmates or our parents demanding that we take them off, pub landlords would flat out refuse to serve us,

many would accuse us of being Nazis, and we would just laugh, because the whole point was to seem 'rebellious' and to piss the 'oldies' off, we wore the damn things to provoke a reaction and for no other reason, and it worked a treat,

Unless of course you seriously think we are about to have our towns and cities over run by ISIS forces because a bunch of idiots are flying a flag?

Islamic jihadism and radicalization is a real threat to the UK, a bunch of idiots dressing up in swastikas pretending to be hard aren't. If this is an ISIS flag I hope it is taken down the the security services are watching this area closely.
  • Options
    blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering when it would happen. Seems I didn't have to wait long.
  • Options
    roger_purvisroger_purvis Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You wore swastikas to look rebellious. Ive heard of some stupid things in my time but this is a special kind of ignorance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The correspondent on Sky News today said western governments were extremely worried that if ISIS settles in to a state, they will start to export their terror to western countries. Now where do you think they would look for a base in the UK? Brighton, Wootton Bassett, Chipping Norton?

They will obviously choose somewhere where people are sympathetic to their cause like the East end of London. I feel you are using an outdated liberal British view of rebellion and are mistaken, because these people are not really British, citizenship or no citizenship.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is all rather depressing, so much for integration.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just hope that the Guardian is preparing an apology for Tommy Robinson: he has been warning that this was going to happen for years, and the Guardian persistently slandered him for saying so.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silly question, but why did no-one get an Arabic reader to tell them what was on the flag? A black flag with Arabic writing could say anything, it would be nice to know what.

Yeah, it's pretty lazy journalism.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Yeah, it's pretty lazy journalism.

Would you prefer the Mail to the Guardian?
    Mail wrote:

Black and white flag similar to ones used by jihadis is hoisted outside east London housing estate

*The flag was put up outside Poplar estate as part of pro-Gaza campaign
    *It contains script used by all Muslims as a declaration of their faith
    *But emblem has been hijacked by extremists who use it to promote jihad
    *Anti-extremism campaigners condemn 'provocative' act in Tower Hamlets
    *After three days it was pulled down amid fears it would cause offence
    *MailOnline has learned that campaigner Sister Christine Frost removed it

A black and white flag similar to one championed by Muslim extremists has been hoisted over an east London estate.

The emblem was hung alongside the Palestinian flag in Poplar, Tower Hamlets, three days ago as part of a 'end the siege in Gaza' campaign.

Anti-extremist campaigners said today the raising of the black flag was a 'provocative' act and undermined legitimate anger about the crisis in Palestine.

Defence Secretary Michael Fallon called it 'extremely inappropriate'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2719749/Black-white-flag-similar-ones-used-jihadis-hoisted-outside-east-London-housing-estate.html#ixzz39oMFnscF
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Wow, a nun took it down, she's brave.

http://www.wharf.co.uk/2014/08/sister-christine-removes-contr.html
    The black and white flag has the Shahadatayn - the declaration of faith that all Muslims say - written on it, which translates as 'There is no god but God, Muhammad is the messenger of God'.

But in recent years versions have been hijacked by extremist supporters of the Taliban, Hamas, al-Shabaab, Al Qaeda and ISIS.

It is not clear who raised the flag on the Will Crooks Estate - named after the noted Victorian-era anti-poverty campaigner and then Labour MP - but it has caused offence.

There you go, the Daily Mail has translated it for you. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In this case, yes, strangely. At least they bothered mentioning what the writing said. Glad someone could be arsed putting the effort in. Poor show, Guardian.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Wow, a nun took it down, she's brave.

http://www.wharf.co.uk/2014/08/sister-christine-removes-contr.html

There you go, the Daily mail has translated it for you. :)
    As you couldn't be arsed to give the DM link in the OP, my psychic powers obviously weren't up to the job. Therefore I thank you for your diligence in answering my question and showing me it didn't say the equivalent of Happy Birthday
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you couldn't be arsed to give the DM link in the OP, my psychic powers obviously weren't up to the job. Therefore I thank you for your diligence in answering my question and showing me it didn't say the equivalent of Happy Birthday

I try and use the Guardian and Independent on articles like this, even if I spot it in the Mail first, as so many left wing posters dismiss anything linked to the Daily Mail. If I had linked to it there would have been comments saying it was probably made up etc. I actually was first made aware of it on Sky News.
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    academia wrote: »
    Islamists won't be happy until they bring war to the streets of Britain. That's their reason for living, the only justification for living. Last week we saw them with Hitler banners supporting gas chambers; this week flying the flag of a bunch of murderous thugs.
    Why are they allowed to gdt away with this?

Because idiots confuse an attack on extremists as an attack on Islam they can't get their little minds around the difference
  • Options
    Forum Member
    paul2307 wrote: »
    Because idiots confuse an attack on extremists as an attack on Islam they can't get their little minds around the difference
    And possibly because even bigger idiots don't separate out their attacks on extremists from their attacks on all Muslims
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »

You mean like 'idiots' who think an attack on extremists (Zionists) is an attack on Jews, that sort of thing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    WindWalker wrote: »
    You mean like 'idiots' who think an attack on extremists (Zionists) is an attack on Jews, that sort of thing?

Go and lie down in a dark room and I'm sure it will pass . there is no Zionist conspiracy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WindWalker wrote: »

It's a conspiracy!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And possibly because even bigger idiots don't separate out their attacks on extremists from their attacks on all Muslims

Which makes the fundamentalists even more dangerous to the moderates then , not only are under threat from extremists they are also under attack from those who can't grasp the difference not only those who hate all Muslims but also those who think that attacks on extremists are an attack on all Muslims , calling everyone Islamophobic does the moderates no favours at all
  • Options
    warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    Islamists won't be happy until they bring war to the streets of Britain. That's their reason for living, the only justification for living. Last week we saw them with Hitler banners supporting gas chambers; this week flying the flag of a bunch of murderous thugs.
    Why are they allowed to gdt away with this?

Because the government is ignorant, scared and possibly infiltrated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Years and years ago in my late teens (late 60s early 70s) when I was young and impressionable, as most young testosterone fuelled males are, myself and lots of my biker mates used to wear swastika badges and various Nazi emblems, (I even wore a German WW2 helmet instead of a crash helmet at times,)

Why did you stop dressing up like a Nazi?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did you stop dressing up like a Nazi?

Prince Harry ruined it for everyone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    “You wouldn’t have the balls, man,” he said. “The police don’t have the balls to arrest us.”

They said it would be. “We don’t want journos here. They call us terrorists.”