• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    She should have another album party.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I never knew whether she had a diagnosis or not, but speaking as a parent of an autistic child, I had always assumed she was autistic. That diagnosis took a long time!

I have to say, I'd always wondered if she has ASD. It doesn't surprise me at all. Obviously her 'tantrums' have, in fact, been meltdowns.
  • Options
    Green ThingGreen Thing Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indeed she's done good
  • Options
    Philip DaltonPhilip Dalton Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    I would never have guessed she had Autism. She's done well.

I have been diagnosed with a form of autism known as Asperger's Syndrome and am trying to become an author.

Who knows, maybe in the end I'll do well.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have been diagnosed with a form of autism known as Asperger's Syndrome and am trying to become an author.

Who knows, maybe in the end I'll do well.

I meant she has done well not to look like someone who has been affected by Asperger's.

Whether that is by design or because her Asperger's doesn't affect her so much, I'm not sure.

I'd like to read an interview where she talks about how it affected her.

Here is a good interview if anyone wants to read it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywillingham/2013/09/29/wall-street-actress-daryl-hannah-also-autistic-woman/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    OMG Just seen it announced about Susan and Asperger's on the BBC Three news.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meant she has done well not to look like someone who has been affected by Asperger's.

Whether that is by design or because her Asperger's doesn't affect her so much, I'm not sure.

I'd like to read an interview where she talks about how it affected her.

Here is a good interview if anyone wants to read it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywillingham/2013/09/29/wall-street-actress-daryl-hannah-also-autistic-woman/
    You know far more than me about Asperger's and definitly do more research than me, but you really confuse me when you post stuff like this.

Only this year I have been told that over the years, the things I had experienced had been breakdowns and meltdowns - and all throughout that I gained qualifications and had numerous jobs - and not one colleague, family member or friend knew that I was struggling or saw me having these things because I have an absolutely uncontrollable urge to 'do the right thing' and 'keep up appearances'... can't be late, can't not turn up, don't need to be nagged about home work, assignments, exams, or nagged to find a vocation in life (I decided upon that when I was 10 and stuck to it) I've turned up to work or pre arranged meetings covered in blood after having an accident or losing someone close to me the day before and have even gone straight from hospital to work. This isn't because I am a saint, it is something to do with the condition. I'm sure there are other people with it like me, just as I'm sure that there are plenty with it that are not like me.

But saying someone's Asperger's doesn't affect them much because you take their appearance or achievements at face value or their 'symptoms' are not like yours doesn't mean that they are not struggling every day of their life, even when they are laughing or singing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You know far more than me about Asperger's and definitly do more research than me, but you really confuse me when you post stuff like this.

But saying someone's Asperger's doesn't affect them much because you take their appearance or achievements at face value or their 'symptoms' are not like yours doesn't mean that they are not struggling every day of their life, even when they are laughing or singing.

I quite clearly said 'I'm not sure'.

So I am definitely NOT saying her Asperger's doesn't affect her so much, but I am wondering how much it did affect her.

I have always felt like a duck paddling furiously below the water but look to other people like I'm gliding by on top of the water, so I understand how easy it is to look one way but be another.

In the interview it says she dropped out for a quiet life, so it must have affected her more than I thought.

The interviews have only said she got stressed out and shy, and rocked for comfort, I haven't seen anything else to point out she might have Asperger's. For instance no sensory issues have been reported.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite clearly said 'I'm not sure'.

So I am definitely NOT saying her Asperger's doesn't affect her so much, but I am wondering how much it did affect her.

I have always felt like a duck paddling furiously below the water but look to other people like I'm gliding by on top of the water, so I understand how easy it is to look one way but be another.

In the interview it says she dropped out for a quiet life, so it must have affected her more than I thought.

The interviews have only said she got stressed out and shy, and rocked for comfort, I haven't seen anything else to point out she might have Asperger's. For instance no sensory issues have been reported.
    I doubt those reporting would report everything and I doubt those reporting have much of a clue of what it is or entails anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I doubt those reporting would report everything and I doubt those reporting have much of a clue of what it is or entails anyway.

She was definitely lucky not to be medicated and institutionalised when she was diagnosed.

Have you seen the film 'Her Name is Sabine'?

She could have ended up like Sabine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was definitely lucky not to be medicated and institutionalised when she was diagnosed.

Have you seen the film 'Her Name is Sabine'?

She could have ended up like Sabine.
    I agree with you there, pressure in that Simon Cowell merry-go-round would stress anyone. I bet her public rants were played down quite a lot by PR.

I'll read the odd article relating to Asperger's but I won't read books or watch anything, I don't understand it and the more I read the more confused I get. I don't even like that it's not supposed to be called Asperger's any more because it was bad enough to try and get people to understand before, when they hear the word Autism they now have some other stereotypical idea in their mind that you don't fit into as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with you there, pressure in that Simon Cowell merry-go-round would stress anyone. I bet her public rants were played down quite a lot by PR.

I'll read the odd article relating to Asperger's but I won't read books or watch anything, I don't understand it and the more I read the more confused I get. I don't even like that it's not supposed to be called Asperger's any more because it was bad enough to try and get people to understand before, when they hear the word Autism they now have some other stereotypical idea in their mind that you don't fit into as well.

I would definitely prefer a delineation between classic autism and Asperger's Syndrome.

It might be a spectrum and Asperger's is autism, but I feel Asperger's is different enough to be classed as a separate entity to classic Autism.

In the same way that red and blue are both colours but they are both different enough that you wouldn't use blue to paint something red.
  • Options
    Green ThingGreen Thing Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm intoo minds were ever not I have it...I feel awkward around people even my own family at times but don't feel I misinterpret social situations.. Alcohol helps me feel normal around people... I don't have trouble reading social cues or body language.. in fact i over analyse them... I do have a one subject which i know a awful lot about and think about it a lot... But i have been in normal relationships with girls and had no problems there... So maybe it's borderline
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    I personally don't think she is.

Why on earth do we have to label people? Can't we just be seen as ourselves?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dome wrote: »

To access help if you need it to lead a normal life. Why do you not think she is?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Because having Asperger's is sometimes not about being ourselves.

For instance someone with OCD isn't being themselves when they need to turn a light on and off 10 times, it is the OCD making them do it.

Yes there are behaviours that some people with Asperger's like, such as I like being obsessed about certain things, but then there are other things I don't like but which are out of my control, such as being sensitive to noise and clothing.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member

its not a label its a actual diagnosis

if someone had all the symptoms of diabetes, would you suggest they dont get a diagnosis as not to label themselves?

and a qualified professional has diagnosed her, why do you think you know better?
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

Because people on the Autistic spectrum have specific difficulties that can affect them to a greater or lesser degree, depending on where they are on the spectrum. It's not a label, it's a diagnosis.

ETA Ah, I see shimsk has just made the same point :)
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xp95 wrote: »
    Why is it that after school, you have to pay to have it diagnosed? :eek:

Its a funding issue. As a child its important to diagnose as an adult after you've had your state education, not so important. If you want a diagnosis as an adult its up to you to fundit iI believe
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Its a funding issue. As a child its important to diagnose as an adult after you've had your state education, not so important. If you want a diagnosis as an adult its up to you to fundit iI believe
    Mine was NHS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »

I was lucky to get funding from my local health authority, but that was about 5 years ago, so not sure if they are still funding adults.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member

Some aren't even sure how to spell it!
    Now the daughter of Irish immigrants to Scotland has revealed that she has been misdiagnosed all those years and she actually has Asperberger’s, a high functioning autism.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Susan-Boyle-reveals-she-has-Aspergers-syndrome-high-functioning-autism-234951661.html
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    I've always felt her singing ability was more about mimicry than skill. Like when they had those people with disabilities who could sing on that BBC Three show, and one of them had autism and could imitate any song they heard.

It is good to see an example of someone who is diagnosed late in life. Same thing happened to me.

I find your point about mimicry very interesting Koan for the following reasons. I wouldn't class myself as a fan of Susan Boyle but she undoubtedly has a beautiful, sweet voice and the BGT moment was one of the TV greats. I think the lyrics meant something to her because she'd dreamed her own dream.

Later, having read about her 'tantrums' I wondered what was really going on. I looked up her version of 'Cry Me A River', a song I love. She sings that beautifully too but I felt that real understanding of the lyrics was absent. It's quite a complex, vengeful and sexy song and I don't think Julie London's version can be bettered. So yes, your comment about mimicry strikes a chord with me.

Nevertheless, continuing good luck to Susan because she brings pleasure to so many people.
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    This story is no surprise to me as I noticed that she was on the Autistic spectrum the Ist time I saw her.
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    owllover wrote: »
    I find your point about mimicry very interesting Koan for the following reasons. I wouldn't class myself as a fan of Susan Boyle but she undoubtedly has a beautiful, sweet voice and the BGT moment was one of the TV greats. I think the lyrics meant something to her because she'd dreamed her own dream.

Later, having read about her 'tantrums' I wondered what was really going on. I looked up her version of 'Cry Me A River', a song I love. She sings that beautifully too but I felt that real understanding of the lyrics was absent. It's quite a complex, vengeful and sexy song and I don't think Julie London's version can be bettered. So yes, your comment about mimicry strikes a chord with me.

Nevertheless, continuing good luck to Susan because she brings pleasure to so many people.

I put her tantrums down to the fact that a lot of Asbergers sufferers can feel very much difficult to cope with the mayhem of having so many people around them.They get very anxious and feel the need to clear the space and spend time on their own.