Motors TV - Freeview channel 240 - 27/02/2014

Comments

• AmaraAmara Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member
    Discovered Motors TV last night but it isn't compatible with TT's You View box whats the point of all these channels on "Free" view if you can't actually watch them?
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    Discovered Motors TV last night but it isn't compatible with TT's You View box whats the point of all these channels on "Free" view if you can't actually watch them?

If you have a Freeview HD box/TV you can get this and other channels.
    Freeview HD means that it meets the D. book requirements and has been given the marking by BIS .

A Youview box is not a freeveiw HD box. ... It is " surprise surprise" a Youview box and thus receives IP based programming from the you view platform.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Amara wrote: »
    What's the point of Youview if it doesn't conform to the Freeview HD standards used by everyone else? Get on to Youview and tell them you want to the channel.
  • clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes its nuts that YouView has been allowed to play on the Freeview TV pitch but not conform to all standards.

Like has been posted here its up to people to get on to YouView and maybe the media. A bit of PR pressure usually does the job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest how many YouView boxes are meant to be out in use?

Also how many people do we think have the correct kit at the moment to view these channels?

If YouView would add significant numbers of potential viewers I bet all of a sudden we would see a boom in new channels starting using this setup.
  • raymartin01raymartin01 Posts: 1,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freeview HD means that it meets the D. book requirements and has been given the marking by BIS .

I've got a Freeview HD Box and I can't get the streaming channels!
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mb2 wrote: »
    What's the point of Youview if it doesn't conform to the Freeview HD standards used by everyone else? Get on to Youview and tell them you want to the channel.

Youview is a separate platform which confirms to the standards required to receive DTT programmes in the uk .
    It has a far better means of getting additional content by IP means than a freeview HD box
    .. Both technically and commercially both from the viewer and the content providers point if view.
    So if you want content on the platform tell the content owner ....
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a Freeview HD Box and I can't get the streaming channels!

Same here. Just having Freeview HD equipment does NOT necessairily mean you can pick these chanels up.
  • EarakeEarake Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Tvonics HD500 occasionally just will not load the MotorsTV stream.

Sometimes I get a blank screen and other times I get "Please wait" followed by "Please wait, stream loading" but it just doesn't matter how long I wait. But other times it loads immediately.

When it does load I find the video aspect occasionally keeps changing.

Other internet streams on the HD500 do not show the same symptoms.

I'm using Sky BB with a 10Mb connection.
  • Fred SmithFred Smith Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Updated list:

Support Connect TV:
    Bush B320HDPVR (Vestel T7650)
    DigitalStream DHP8100U
    DigitalStream DHR-8203U and DHR-8205U and presumably DHR-8206U as it only a HDD size difference
    Humax HDR-2000T
    LG LS575T
    LG 50PA650T
    Logik L1HSTB12 (Vestel T7650)
    TVonics DTR-HD500

Not support Connect TV:
    Huawei DN370T Youview box
    LG 32LF7700
    Panasonic DMR-HW100
    Panasonic DMR-HWT230EB
    Technika STBHDV2010 (Vestel T8300), gets as far as "Please wait, Loading steam" and no further
    Technisat HDFV
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get some of these IPTV services on my Panasonic TX-P42S30B, but frustratingly for me, not MotorsTV.

Apparently it's not VuTV compatible, nor does it support all Connect TV services. It does support Vision TV services. Pity I'm not a Muslim.

I can still get it via FSFSky. How much longer that will last is anyone's guess.

There's some dodgy Polish football on but the PQ is shocking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought all the IP channels used the same technology to make them work? If some work then your TV must have the software unless its something that the ones that work have done to get a fix to enable these channels on these tvs?

Its not a bad addition to freeview and watched a bit of Motors TV. Its a shame they dont have a HD version of the channel, however something is better than nothing. I just hope they are seeing then returns in viewing audience for the investment.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fred Smith wrote: »
    Updated list:

Support Connect TV:
    Bush B320HDPVR (Vestel T7650)
    DigitalStream DHP8100U
    DigitalStream DHR-8203U and DHR-8205U and presumably DHR-8206U as it only a HDD size difference

Humax HDR-2000T
    LG LS575T
    LG 50PA650T
    Logik L1HSTB12 (Vestel T7650)
    TVonics DTR-HD500

Not support Connect TV:
    Huawei DN370T Youview box
    LG 32LF7700
    Panasonic DMR-HW100
    Panasonic DMR-HWT230EB
    Technika STBHDV2010 (Vestel T8300), gets as far as "Please wait, Loading steam" and no further
    Technisat HDFV

And are the Digital Streams compatible with this?
    I've got the Digital Stream DHR 8203U, and although I can select those channels, all I get is audio. No picture ever comes up.
    I've got a 5 Mbps download speed which is fine for BBC iPlayer etc (on another box).
  • Fred SmithFred Smith Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    And are the Digital Streams compatible with this?
    I've got the Digital Stream DHR 8203U, and although I can select those channels, all I get is audio. No picture ever comes up.
    I've got a 5 Mbps download speed which is fine for BBC iPlayer etc (on another box).

The three I have work OK, otherwise I would have posted otherwise!

DigitalStream DHP8100U
    DigitalStream DHR-8203U and DHR-8205U

What firmware is yours running?
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fred Smith wrote: »
    The three I have work OK, otherwise I would have posted otherwise!

DigitalStream DHP8100U
    DigitalStream DHR-8203U and DHR-8205U

What firmware is yours running?

It's 4.14.r8683, micom 1.33, kernel 2.6.18-7.1

I haven't retuned for Motors TV, but this is on the Connect channels etc.
    It says "loading stream", and then after a couple of seconds the audio starts, but the screen stays black.
    You get the surrounding graphics, and descriptions scroll arrows, but no picture.

Must admit I'd just assumed they were all subscription channels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems motors are planing an upgraded version of the stream which should work on many more boxes.
  • abwabw Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    clewsy wrote: »
    Seems motors are planing an upgraded version of the stream which should work on many more boxes.

I would prefer an upgrade to be able to use the PVR as intended. It is a bit of a waste of a hard-drive if the only way of recording is to video cassette or DVD!

Surely there are two SD slots going cheap on COM7?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Com7 is cheap really. This IP method must be a lot cheaper otherwise Motors would have done it.

If you think logically IF they could get YouView boxes and most HD TVS working then they would have similar viewer audience as com7 would provide.
  • Darcy72Darcy72 Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    During the week I can get error free streaming anytime - The Nationwide race tonight was unwatchable, constant freezing and dropouts.
    Motors need to improve their server capability as it obviously cannot cope with high demand - and it was not my broadband which is 20Mbps as I was able to revert to alternative web streaming without issue - but it would have been nice not to have to. >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is worrying as if they want to add access to more boxes think of the increased server load.

Its a good job its not HD stream!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well sports fans with freeview HD can't moan today as motors TV have had a race day from Donnington.

These are well produced and give really good coverage of some close competitive club racing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe no one is watching it, but streaming perfectly tonight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    clewsy wrote: »
    Maybe no one is watching it, but streaming perfectly tonight.
    I haven't watched the Nationwide races for a couple of weeks, but it's been perfect every time I've tried - including during the Sebring 12 hours, which would surely have their most watched event so far?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The v8s must get some good viewing figures as well.

This afternoon I'm guessing most motor sports fans have been watching the btcc on ITV4. It would be interesting to see what viewing figures ITV get for that given the buzz around the season this year.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    rossi_dr wrote: »
    http://www.motorstv.com/motors-tv-now-available-on-freeview-channel-240

From Thursday 27 February Motors TV UK will be available on Freeview channel 240.

For the first time anyone with an internet-connected Freeview HD or Freeview+HD product (box or TV) can enjoy full, subscription-free access to the High Speed Television Channel thanks to Arqiva’s Connect TV service.

Just as you would on either Sky or Virgin Media, simply select Motors TV from the EPG or dial 240 on your remote control to view the widest range of live, delayed and highlights motor sport coverage on television.

While most Freeview+HD boxes will automatically detect the Motors TV signal, others might initially require re-tuning.

For further details, and information on compatible Freeview HD/Freeview+HD products, please visit http://www.connect-tv.tv/faq.aspx.

*Available on selected products only.

If these channels are streams from the internet, then would they be viewable on a PC?