I'll have an half...(comedy)

howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
Forum Member
What comedy did that phrase come from and who said it?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    If you can call it a comedy...

It was called "Love Thy Neighbour", a series I don't suppose we will ever see repeated even on the nostalgia channels.

The character who said it was a little old man in a cap who shared a table with the main characters in the pub. The long-running joke was that he never bought a round but if anyone else offered then he alwasy said "I'll have an half"
  • 7 Network7 Network Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billy Williams (2nd husband of Betty Turpin/Williams) on Coronation Street, used to say "i'll just have a half" when asked if he wanted a drink. I think they were trying to mould him into a classic character - but it just didn't work. I think he was quietly axed when Brian Park took over. May have been before.

Not sure about it in a comedy show though.
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Mmm, are you sure it was in Love Thy Neighbour ?..you may be correct but I aint convinced.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it was either Love thy Neighbour or I didnt Know You Cared. Not sure though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,796
    Forum Member
    Deffo Love Thy Neighbour and it was "I'll have 'alf" said in a flat Northern Accent.
  • cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    Mmm, are you sure it was in Love Thy Neighbour ?..you may be correct but I aint convinced.

It was deffo "Love THy Neighbour". The character was Jacko.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/l/lovethyneighbour_7774180.shtml

G
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    cobaltmale wrote: »
    It was deffo "Love THy Neighbour". The character was Jacko.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/l/lovethyneighbour_7774180.shtml

G

Cheers.... I'll 'ave 'alf...no, make it a pint:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Deffo Love Thy Neighbour and it was "I'll have 'alf" said in a flat Northern Accent.

Correct, no "an" required!
  • Russ_WWFCRuss_WWFC Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved that show, brilliant and it's a shame the PC brigade have made sure that it is consigned to history.

The ironic thing was, that the black guy, Bill, who now plays Patrick in Eastenders invariably came out on top in the battle, which was good as racist Eddie deserved all he got.

I've got every episode of that thanks to eBay.

I also liked Mind Your Language, written by the same team that did LTN and have got around 2 thirds of the episodes thanks to the Canadian Region 1 release
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see either of those shows being repeated anytime soon! Confined to the vaults of history.
  • Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Russ_WWFC wrote: »
    I loved that show, brilliant and it's a shame the PC brigade have made sure that it is consigned to history.
    It was one of the worst sitcoms ever irrespective of being non-pc. However, 'Til death us do part' is a comedy classic, one of many fans being the controversial Darcus Howe.