Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    porshacat wrote: »
    I love the Stallone version. :p

Have just realised I have it mixed up with 'Demolition man'. DOH ! :o
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it looks like a DREDD sequel is in the works - but not on film. 2000AD teased that they're making a sequel either in comic book or motion comic form. The poster mentions September 2013.

LINK

Poster LINK
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone see the French release for this? It looked brilliant pretty sad we didn't get it over here in the uk :(
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    Well it looks like a DREDD sequel is in the works - but not on film. 2000AD teased that they're making a sequel either in comic book or motion comic form. The poster mentions September 2013.

LINK

Poster LINK

It'll be in the Megazine as Dredd in 2000AD is still dealing with the aftermath of Day of Chaos
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Some fresh mentions of a Dredd sequel from Karl Urban today...

There as been a slight update on the possibility of a Dredd sequel, during a The Las Vegas Star Trek convention. When Karl Urban was asked about the possibility of a DREDD sequel he responded by saying that "conversations are taking place". The fact a sequel is even been talked about is a good sign because we all believed it to be dead in the water due to its poor box office performance - though the movie did pretty well when it reached DVD and Blu-ray. Would you like to see a sequel to DREDD or are you happy enough with it as a standalone? Sound off below.
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Superman1991

Could be some truth to it this time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    As I understand it Entertainment Film Distributors spent $7m buying the film, it made a little over $6m at the box office, and did reasonably well on DVD and Blu-ray. So on a pure sales basis it's probably in profit for them, however it had a reasonably extensive marketing campaign and distribution fees may mean it made a slight loss.

Would they be willing to buy a sequel given it hasn't set the world alight?
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    Dredd was a good movie. Lena Headey was an awesome villain, and Karl Urban was an excellent Judge Dredd. The weak point however was the girl who played the rookie. Awful character. I think I preferred Rob Schneider as a sidekick.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The weak point however was the girl who played the rookie. Awful character. I think I preferred Rob Schneider as a sidekick.

Ludicrous. Schneider`s comedy schtick was one of the main reasons Stallone`s terrible version failed (that and SS taking the editing away from Danny Cannon and using his clout to basically hijack the movie). I`ve read 2000AD from the beginning and Olivia Thirlby`s rookie Judge Anderson is a very faithful and respectful rendering of the character in the comic. She was every bit as good as Urban, and he was PHENOMENAL as Dredd.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    karl urban has told fans that there are "talks" about a possible sequel due to good dvd/blu ray sales and fan feedback

lets hope it happens.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    karl urban has told fans that there are "talks" about a possible sequel due to good dvd/blu ray sales and fan feedback

lets hope it happens.

There bloody should be cos it was a great movie particularly in 3D... I thought it was also very faithful to the character.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love there to be a sequel as I really enjoyed the first one - I think Urban nailed Dredd completely.

Considering some of the straight to DVD tat that gets made nowadays, surely they can find the money to make one from somewhere ?
    Forum Member
    I'd love there to be a sequel as I really enjoyed the first one - I think Urban nailed Dredd completely.

Considering some of the straight to DVD tat that gets made nowadays, surely they can find the money to make one from somewhere ?

At this point I'd be less concerned about the money and more concerned about the compromises they have to make to get it...

I get the feeling fans that if they get one may end up regretting their campaigns for a sequel.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At this point I'd be less concerned about the money and more concerned about the compromises they have to make to get it...

I get the feeling fans that if they get one may end up regretting their campaigns for a sequel.

Yep, fair points indeed. I always remember reading that Stallone allegedly refused to remove the helmet when he made his version as he said it wouldn't be true to the character but the studio insisted he did and he caved in.

I'd hate to see any sequel featuring urban have that caveat applied to it.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Ludicrous. Schneider`s comedy schtick was one of the main reasons Stallone`s terrible version failed (that and SS taking the editing away from Danny Cannon and using his clout to basically hijack the movie). I`ve read 2000AD from the beginning and Olivia Thirlby`s rookie Judge Anderson is a very faithful and respectful rendering of the character in the comic. She was every bit as good as Urban, and he was PHENOMENAL as Dredd.

She sucked. I was desperate for MA-MA to kill her.

Stallone's version had it's good points. He's incomprehensible, has a ludicrous codpiece, and should have never removed his helmet, but the ABC warrior, Diane Lane, the Angel Family, Rico, Griffin, the prison break sequence etc....were all good.
    Forum Member
    Yep, fair points indeed. I always remember reading that Stallone allegedly refused to remove the helmet when he made his version as he said it wouldn't be true to the character but the studio insisted he did and he caved in.

I'd hate to see any sequel featuring urban have that caveat applied to it.

I wasn't talking about the helmet, although I can see why you consider that important.

I meant, it's probable they'll be asked to go for a softer R (or perhaps even a PG-13), and it seems the thing people liked about it was the old school hard violence. Not to mention the certainty of a lower budget.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The film would have been a one-dimensional shoot-em-up without her, existing even more in the shadow of The Raid than it already does.
    ...but the ABC warrior, Diane Lane, the Angel Family, Rico, Griffin, the prison break sequence etc....were all good.

Armand Assante chewed the scenery so much he must`ve had indigestion for months afterward. Von Sydow and Prochnow classed up the movie no end and the production design was incredible but it`s all irrelevant when the central casting and characterisation was so bad. Stallone`s playing of it was camp even without Urban`s version to compare against and Schneider`s comedy side-kick nonsense should remain in Adam Sandler movies and not trouble SF cinema ever again.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    The film would have been a one-dimensional shoot-em-up without her, existing even more in the shadow of The Raid than it already does.

Christ, are some people still trying to compare the two films?:confused:

They're completely different.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christ, are some people still trying to compare the two films?:confused:

They're completely different.

Just because you think that doesn`t mean that isn`t how most reacted to Dredd when it came out. If it had beaten The Raid to the theatres it`d be the Korean film that was unfavourably compared but it didn`t. Yes, I know the Dredd script was apparently penned first but it still doesn`t alter the public perception that Dredd had a similar plot to the Korean flick when the emphasis in a just and fair world should have been the other way round.
    Forum Member
    Just because you think that doesn`t mean that isn`t how most reacted to Dredd when it came out. If it had beaten The Raid to the theatres it`d be the Korean film that was unfavourably compared but it didn`t. Yes, I know the Dredd script was apparently penned first but it still doesn`t alter the public perception that Dredd had a similar plot to the Korean flick when the emphasis in a just and fair world should have been the other way round.

The Raid was Indonesian (and directed by a Welshman)
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Stallone's version had it's good points. He's incomprehensible, has a ludicrous codpiece, and should have never removed his helmet, but the ABC warrior, Diane Lane, the Angel Family, Rico, Griffin, the prison break sequence etc....were all good.
    The Stalone film perfectly matched the look of the comics, not only the characters you mention but also the background details like the citizens, the blocks, the vehicles and eh city itself. But the tone missed by a Mega-mile.

The Urban film hit the tone dead centre, but the city had far too much open sky, the vehicles were beaten up campervans and the citizens could have come from a 1970s gang movie.

If only you could unnaturally fuze the two films together. :D
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Yeah, Mega City One was closer in appearance to the comics in the Stallone version, with its vertical, piled on top of each other look. Von Sydow looked cool when he took the Long Walk with that high-collared coat and rifle (Those high, circular collars are so 2000AD)

It's hard to get Dredd right because the comic strip does actually have a quintessentially British, eccentric (and often topical) sense of humour running throughout it, which probably doesn't translate too well to screen.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

Meh, as I recall it was just a few lazy critics looking for an angle, backed up by equally thick fanbloy bloggers. Remember the early reports that Dredd plagiarised The Raid? Anybody who bothered to do some basic research knew that Dredd was well-advanced by the time The Raid got going so any plagiarism was the other way around. The only reason The Raid was released first was because it was made in Indonesia (not Korea) for pennies and took far less time in the (relatively) unregulated Indonesian film industry.

Even the similarities that are there are superficial. Both are battles in locked buildings but that's about it. The characters, motivation, combat, plot devices, cinematography and soundtracks are completely different. The battle in a locked building scenario has been used countless times and has featured action actors from Bruce Lee to Bruce Willis. White House Down was just Die Hard in the White House. I don't recall anyone saying it was plagiarising Die Hard. It's like saying that Titanic plagiarised In Which We Serve because both take place on board ships that sink. :D

Blimey, I've forgotten the point of the thread now.:blush: Ah yes, it would be great have a sequel, even better if they could muster up more than a paltry $45m to do it.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The battle in a locked building scenario has been used countless times and has featured action actors from Bruce Lee to Bruce Willis.

I'm sad that no one so far has mentioned La Horde (2009) in midst of a war between Dredd and The Raid crowds. :cry:

It's a silly but great little French thriller, which takes place in a run-down tower block where a small bunch of criminals and cops fight for their lives against an ever-increasing swarm of zombies. It's probably not mentioned because zombie fans are still bitter with the film for refusing to reveal the origin of zombies. :D (Doesn't George Romero's law 'When there is no room left in hell, the dead shall walk the earth' work any more?)

That aside, I agree with everything you said.