Why do people on here seem to hate Rose?

124»

Comments

• PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    Barring accidents, Time Lords could live for millennia, so the the need to reproduce their species was not an urgent one, and I would thus contend that they perhaps had a "mating season" every few hundred years, but most of the time were indeed asexual.

Perhaps Ten's incarnation coincided with a "mating season" and as there were no Time Ladies around any more he turned his attentions towards human females (Rose, Madame De Pompadour, Elizabeth I).

:D lol This is funny because it would (kind of) fit. That said I suspect that Ten kissed the girls and more because David Tennant was somewhat prettier than the previous incarnations, therefore more popular with a certain viewers who were looking for more 'romantic' nuances in the story-lines. JMO;) I didn't mind - he did look rather hot with some of them anyway, but I can see how it may have irritated some.

Regrading Rose; I though that she was a brilliant character to use to introduce the new audience to the show. She had elements of her story and life that many viewers could relate to and she was skillfully brought to the screen by Billie Piper. However, as time moved on I just didn't like the pseudo romance plot and as series three was one of my favourites I really didn't like how she dominated that without even being there. Not her fault, that was the writing but even so it kind of put me off her further.

I'm afraid that I was one of those who did not like her return. and as for the insulting subsequent fobbing her off with a duplicate, well ;):p.. Anyway. I liked Rose, she was a great character who unfortunately has been overused and that's why I (sort of) dislike her. But 'old' Rose was still great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they (the New Series writers) know it will wind up a lot of hardcore Classic Who fans, who believe the Doctor should be asexual. Does anyone remember the fuss that erupted in fandom when the Doctor kissed a woman for the first time in the show's history (Paul McGann and Daphne Ashbrook in the TV Movie)?

Thankfully the classic series never stooped to this level.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, I don't think anyone's ever said they thought he was actually asexual - it was more back then he was a Grandfather/mentor figure for the girls he was travelling with. Any suggestion of him really fancying them, especially at first, would have had the show off the air.

Besides, we still have no real idea how Time Lords reproduce, or when or if they have to do anything in particular that we don't:D

IMO making him 'fall in love' as opposed to 'becoming fond of/affectionate to/loving as a friend or companion' makes him less alien and mysterious.
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back to why people don't like Rose.Just a personal
    opinion of course,but I always found Billie Piper to
    be a bad actress,and a really freaky and odd looking
    girl.So hardly a pin up and intelligent sidekick!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    timebug wrote: »
    Back to why people don't like Rose.Just a personal
    opinion of course,but I always found Billie Piper to
    be a bad actress
    ,and a really freaky and odd looking
    girl.So hardly a pin up and intelligent sidekick!

I think she is a good actress. I was watching Father's Day on Watch the other day and she was amazing. I cried:cry::o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure what's with the hate thing either. I liked Rose as a companion with both ninth and tenth doctors. She had good chemistry with both. I liked Martha as a companion but I think the chemistry was missing. Donna was very good too. I liked Amy as a companion too but I suppose the people who didn't like Rose probably wouldn't like Amy since they are so similar.

But I love the idea of celebrating the past so I think this a great bit of news.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Barring accidents, Time Lords could live for millennia, so the the need to reproduce their species was not an urgent one, and I would thus contend that they perhaps had a "mating season" every few hundred years, but most of the time were indeed asexual.

Perhaps Ten's incarnation coincided with a "mating season" and as there were no Time Ladies around any more he turned his attentions towards human females (Rose, Madame De Pompadour, Elizabeth I).

Even if that does sound a bit Vulcan, anything is better than the suggestion that Time Lords are wired together on looms....:o :D

Yeah cos Tom Baker wasn't holding hands with Romana at all, nor was their relationship heavily implied to be more than the standard Doctor/Companion relationship.... ;)
  • scumcatscumcat Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Liked her at first but she outstayed her welcome
  • scumcatscumcat Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Liked her at first but she outstayed her welcome and I don't want her back again
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah cos Tom Baker wasn't holding hands with Romana at all, nor was their relationship heavily implied to be more than the standard Doctor/Companion relationship.... ;)

But at least Romana was one of his own species, and River Song is "almost" one of his own species. Rose is just an Earth human, a different species altogether, so any sexual relations between the Doctor and her would be close to bestiality.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously because they always go on and on about how this is supposed to be a kids show yet they are heavily hinting sex.

No wonder people prefered the show when Tom Baker was running things.

And when exactly was Tom Baker "running things"?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1974 - 1981.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on the story is he going to be the half human 10 or actual 10 ?. If they are somehow taken out of the time they were traveling together he would be "our" 10th doctor. Would be interesting to see how they both react to 11 and the other people who will be around. Untill then enjoying 7.2 on saturday nights 6 episodes left.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1974 - 1981.

He was playing the Doctor at that time, that's all. He wasn't running things.