Options

Premier Sports Channel

Comments

• Options
    Red RobinRed Robin Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    It's not really that good value. I'd maybe watch Blue Square if there was no other Football on. I like a bit of Boxing but there's better quality on Sky. I know this Saturday I'd rather be watching Klitschko vs Peter Live on Sky Sports 1.

For NRL fans, its definitely been good value, last weekend there was 6 games too watch, this weekend they are showing the 4 playoff games. Since it went pay to view there's been an average of 5 weeks per week, about 25p per game, good value in my book.

There are plenty of other channels showing mainstream football, don't think Premier Sports are trying to compete with them.

Whose to say the the fight on Sky will be better than those on Premier Sports, just because Klitschko is a big name doesn't mean the fight will be any good. The lighter weight fights are usually a lot better.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Robin wrote: »
    Whose to say the the fight on Sky will be better than those on Premier Sports, just because Klitschko is a big name doesn't mean the fight will be any good. The lighter weight fights are usually a lot better.

Well if you're a boxing fan the choice has never been better. Sky Sports, Eurosport, ESPN, Premier Sports, ITV all cover boxing now.
  • Options
    chrisfinchchrisfinch Posts: 5,752
    Forum Member
    Well if you're a boxing fan the choice has never been better. Sky Sports, Eurosport, ESPN, Premier Sports, ITV all cover boxing now.

ITV don't. The problem is all those channels require extra subscriptions, which is a bit crap-you can add Primetime to that as well. Admittedly its better than the fights not being shown, but extremely expensive to watch boxing on television.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    chrisfinch wrote: »
    ITV don't. The problem is all those channels require extra subscriptions, which is a bit crap-you can add Primetime to that as well. Admittedly its better than the fights not being shown, but extremely expensive to watch boxing on television.

ITV did show the last Amir Khan fight but nothing else since
  • Options
    chrisfinchchrisfinch Posts: 5,752
    Forum Member
    ITV did show the last Amir Khan fight but nothing else since

One fight this year, that they were widely rumoured not to have paid for. They are hardly a channel that 'covers boxing'.
  • Options
    AkilduffAkilduff Posts: 4,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this channel on BT Vision or TalkTalk TV?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Akilduff wrote: »
    Is this channel on BT Vision or TalkTalk TV?

Sky only.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching the Blue Square on a FTV period now.

Camera coverage looks amateur and picture quality has not improved. At points its too far away from the pitch.

Definitely wouldn't subscribe anyway. :D
  • Options
    Red RobinRed Robin Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    A lot more boxing on Premier Sports

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2010/12/premier-sports-tv-is-delighted-to-announce-weekly-boxing/

looks like after the new year, its going to be quite busy on the channel, Copa Liberatores starts, Blue Square Premier continues, then the Australian Rugby League (NRL) starts in March (150 matches)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picture quality is still crud.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were also offering 2 months at half price if you signed up with them in November.

Went down really well with their existing customers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I checked as it was a FTV last night and yes picture quality is still mince.

Really not impressed by this channel. Makes me wonder why ESPN never just signed the conference football after all they are getting plenty of early fixtures in the FA Cup at conference clubs.

The boxing is just some random feed really crap quality. Surely there's better sport they can obtain? Even some half decent magazine shows.
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im worried they might be getting nascar i really hope not i would it rather went to espn/sky??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im worried they might be getting nascar i really hope not i would it rather went to espn/sky??

What gives you that idea?

Would not surprise me anyway it was on Open Access so rights are probably worth peanuts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They won't.

They looked into it and decided it was not a 'good idea'.
  • Options
    Pete2kPete2k Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    What gives you that idea?

Would not surprise me anyway it was on Open Access so rights are probably worth peanuts.

Looking at the boxing press release above their spokesman claims Nascar is among the sports they cover. (or will cover as it may be)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From their Crapbook site -

Think Nascar has gone by the way side. We at a look but decided it against it for the moment (i think)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pete2k wrote: »
    Looking at the boxing press release above their spokesman claims Nascar is among the sports they cover. (or will cover as it may be)

Press release (or boxingnews link) is currently wrong on that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what else have they "looked into" or going to look into?

I'm sure they were taking suggestions via Facebook. Have they not considered some other Scottish Football or the French Football?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what else have they "looked into" or going to look into?

I'm sure they were taking suggestions via Facebook. Have they not considered some other Scottish Football or the French Football?

They were suggestions via Crapbook.

No idea why they don't go for Ligue 1.

As for Scottish football, Sky and ESPN have that and even if they didn't, do you think the SFA would do another deal with Setanta after what happened the last time.

BT and Virgin still won't carry them btw.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC57 wrote: »
    They were suggestions via Crapbook.

No idea why they don't go for Ligue 1.

As for Scottish football, Sky and ESPN have that and even if they didn't, do you think the SFA would do another deal with Setanta after what happened the last time.

BT and Virgin still won't carry them btw.

Yes Sky and ESPN have the SPL.

Would the Scottish Football League not come under a different set of rights? I know BBC ALBA managed to cover a few games but there was never any firm deal in place was there?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Setanta name is mud in Scotland (even thought their call centre is still there).

Not sure there would be much demand for any Scottish Football below SPL (bar the Cup). A bit like the Welsh League on S4C which is very niche and S4C probably only cover it because they are a public service broadcaster (like Alba), its as cheap as chips and Dylan from Abergele wrote in asking for it.

PS seem to be going down the boxing route but are only piggy backing on the Setanta Oirland deals, i.e. if it is on Setanta Oirland, PS take it too. Helps that they are (basically) the same company.

One reason can't see them showing NASCAR is that it takes a lot of time to show and might limit other live events. That said they have that other channel on the EPG (435 ??). They should go for French T14. Setanta have it. ESPN have it in the UK but seem more concerned with the Aviva now so might let it go (Eurosport had it in the UK before ESPN so doubt it costs much).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Setanta name is mud in Scotland (even thought their call centre is still there).

Not sure there would be much demand for any Scottish Football below SPL (bar the Cup). A bit like the Welsh League on S4C which is very niche and S4C probably only cover it because they are a public service broadcaster (like Alba), its as cheap as chips and Dylan from Abergele wrote in asking for it.

PS seem to be going down the boxing route but are only piggy backing on the Setanta Oirland deals, i.e. if it is on Setanta Oirland, PS take it too. Helps that they are (basically) the same company.

One reason can't see them showing NASCAR is that it takes a lot of time to show and might limit other live events. That said they have that other channel on the EPG (435 ??). They should go for French T14. Setanta have it. ESPN have it in the UK but seem more concerned with the Aviva now so might let it go (Eurosport had it in the UK before ESPN so doubt it costs much).

But if they go for 5th division Blue Square with low attendances I wonder why they don't go for the SFL?

And if Premier Sports had a crash injection and offered the SPL £1 million more than Sky they would jump at the chance. The SPL has a get out clause at the end of the season they don't have to go for a final year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But if they go for 5th division Blue Square with low attendances I wonder why they don't go for the SFL?

And if Premier Sports had a crash injection and offered the SPL £1 million more than Sky they would jump at the chance. The SPL has a get out clause at the end of the season they don't have to go for a final year.

Doubt PS have any real money to do deals with - would need the parent Setanta to do the deal and basically get the rights for free.

Virgin allegedly won't carry them as they don't think they'll be around too long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin allegedly won't carry them as they don't think they'll be around too long.

Virgin have a very naive policy when it comes to channels though.

Assuming they don't overspend on rights they will probably see out the Blue Square deal.

A pity as I'm sure many on Virgin would want to subscribe to get Blue Square.