Options

D-Day ceremonies

Comments

• Options
    housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    Some fantastic, and very moving stories today. Those people were remarkable in what they did, and it has been a pleasure to listen to them, and hear well deserved tributes.

The downside of the day is looking in this thread, and seeing some of the awful comments by a couple of posters who no doubt think they're being clever in some way. :( The word troll is far too kind to them.

Well said, but there are those who just love to spoil threads sad really they have nothing better to do :(
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not interested, to be honest.

Interested enough to tell us you are not interested though.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To the guys who "learned about this in school" that hardly compares with paying a bit of respect to people who gave their lives for you. Today was as much about the ones who lost their lives on d-day and during the war, as it was about those who were there.

Did you see that French towns and villages have an elegance that few places in the UK can match.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    housegirl wrote: »
    Yes hubby and I have just said that, There was a couple live by us she was a a land girl he was a german pilot prisoner of war, they wed after the war her family never ever spoke to her again they went to Germany many many times to his family she said they love her from the start .
    True love. Sad her parents couldn't accept though.

Where i grew up as a child, our neighbours daughter courted and eventually married a German Jewish guy who had fled Germany. He drove a Mercedes Benz which of course back in the 50's was very posh! Also by then my fascination with cars had started so each time i saw this Mercedes outside i used to wander around having a look, but also hang around for another reason too. He'd always bring some sweets for me and let me sit in his car! :D

MargMck wrote: »
    Heartrending stories.:cry: I am very interested in all this for as well as recorded acts of humane bravery there were lots of acts of little kindnesses that kept people going.
    My father (86) told me one this week.
    His father served in the 1st World War and of 7 brothers and cousins who enlisted just three (including grandad) came home. When the Second World War happened he was too old to serve and was a gamekeeper.
    Nearby was a site where allied aircraft parts were being manufactured and Italian POWs were made to work lighting oil cans etc to create smoke to disguise the site from German bombers.
    My grandad would regularly visit the Italians, giving them cigarettes, drink and food and helping them with their English. He wanted to know that they were being treated ok - to him they were just "lads caught up in this bloody nightmare."
    My Mum often used to say War brought a lot of people closer together. Everyone was 'in the same boat'.

The extraordinary stories of humanity have always fascinated me as it really brings home the whole craziness of war/s, but more than anything, the ability of those able to rise above and beyond it. People of decent moral code toward others, some of whom put their own lives at risk in doing so.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you see that French towns and villages have an elegance that few places in the UK can match.
    I think that's maybe the comparative glamour of the unfamiliar. Don't be seduced by Bayeux - it is a beautiful town but it largely escaped any damage and is not typical of the region. Other towns along the coast and also inland - particularly Saint-Lô, the county town of Manche and south - they were damaged by bombing, fighting and fire and were quickly and unimaginatively rebuilt in the 50s to provide housing for the local population.

There are many distinctly ugly, characterless towns... but then, a few miles to the side and there are beautiful half-timbered, elegant buildings, old bridges, lovely churches with original stained glass windows. But a lot is grey and not at all elegant. Even Caen centre has some beautiful old buildings but much of it is concrete ugliness - especially on the outskirts where council housing, graffiti and crime rules.

Go east along the coast from Ouistreham and there are lots of gothic-y houses which have do have an elegance and interest, though. Planners here are a lot less obsessed with putting back what has gone before and there are some interesting buildings. Also, small-town France is generally cleaner (less litter) and has less vandalism than comparable areas in the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »

Where i grew up as a child, our neighbours daughter courted and eventually married a German Jewish guy who had fled Germany. He drove a Mercedes Benz which of course back in the 50's was very posh! Also by then my fascination with cars had started so each time i saw this Mercedes outside i used to wander around having a look, but also hang around for another reason too. He'd always bring some sweets for me and let me sit in his car! :D

This made me smile :D

My Mum often used to say War brought a lot of people closer together. Everyone was 'in the same boat'.

Yes mine said the same every one pulled together.
  • Options
    paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joey_J wrote: »
    It's a beautiful almost cloudless, calm warm sunny afternoon and I'm enjoying the Freedom to do as I please, 70 years today and after 25 years on this earth myself, I still cannot thank the heroes on D-Day enough for the Privilege of us being Free today

What a lovely post.

Well said.
  • Options
    TheGreatKatsbyTheGreatKatsby Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Don't know if anyone has already posted this story:

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/d-day-veterans-great-escape-care-home-145250723.html

A veteran who went AWOL from his care home after being told he couldn't travel to Normandy. What a guy - this story made me smile :)
  • Options
    Psycho_KittyPsycho_Kitty Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best generation we had were those men.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The best generation we had were those men.

Well said, some on here think they are great by posting daft stupid posts >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    I think that's maybe the comparative glamour of the unfamiliar. Don't be seduced by Bayeux - it is a beautiful town but it largely escaped any damage and is not typical of the region. Other towns along the coast and also inland - particularly Saint-Lô, the county town of Manche and south - they were damaged by bombing, fighting and fire and were quickly and unimaginatively rebuilt in the 50s to provide housing for the local population.

There are many distinctly ugly, characterless towns... but then, a few miles to the side and there are beautiful half-timbered, elegant buildings, old bridges, lovely churches with original stained glass windows. But a lot is grey and not at all elegant. Even Caen centre has some beautiful old buildings but much of it is concrete ugliness - especially on the outskirts where council housing, graffiti and crime rules.

Go east along the coast from Ouistreham and there are lots of gothic-y houses which have do have an elegance and interest, though. Planners here are a lot less obsessed with putting back what has gone before and there are some interesting buildings. Also, small-town France is generally cleaner (less litter) and has less vandalism than comparable areas in the UK.

Just generally, a few random places ive visited in north france.

Honfleur, st malo, quimper, concarneau, dinan, pont aven ( and i know st malo was largely rebuilt after the war)

Of course there are functional parts, but just talking generally, i find france more elegant than the uk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On another point, am i right in thinking the queen had to race back, so she can go to the derby tomorrow?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    On another point, am i right in thinking the queen had to race back, so she can go to the derby tomorrow?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/racing/article-2628512/The-Queen-plans-helicopter-dash-France-watch-Derby-Day-Epsom.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just one other observation.

Why does the crown prince of ruritania, sorry, the prince of wales dress up in uniforms at every opportunity? I noticed Prince william didnt bother.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

Yep and it seems that we have not learned from the past, you only have to look at how we followed the U.S to invade other countries and look at what Russia is doing now.

Also look at the EU, we fought a war to be free and yet we now part of a club where the Germans more or less control.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does the crown prince of ruritania, sorry, the prince of wales dress up in uniforms at every opportunity? I noticed Prince william didnt bother.
    Prince Harry has a lovely uniform he could have worn. Not sure it's authentic tho'
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gemma - Williams has IIRC resigned his commission and returned to civilian life...but the Prince of Wales is still honorary colonel of a number of units - just as the Queen, the Duke of Edinburg and the Princess Royal are. William will be in time too.

Hi flowerpowa - he would have arrived in France just into the start of August IIRC. Do you happen to know what unit in 3rd Army he was in?
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    housegirl wrote: »
    I'm in bits now, What at wonderful story Charlie Brown and Franz Stigler.

There's a song about it now
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d4Z0FtRI7A
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Hhmmm......somehow i found a Heavy Metal band just 'not quite right'!

This is more fitting and appropriate.

Fitting tune and a fitting 'send off' for two brave 'enemies' from the past. Incidentally did anyone notice that Charlie Brown and Franz Stigler both passed away during 2008 just eight months apart from each other?

I have a feeling they are together again.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Hhmmm......somehow i found a Heavy Metal band just 'not quite right'!

This is more fitting and appropriate.

Fitting tune and a fitting 'send off' for two brave 'enemies' from the past. Incidentally did anyone notice that Charlie Brown and Franz Stigler both passed away during 2008 just eight months apart from each other?

I have a feeling they are together again.

Metal bands have been doings songs about war for as long as there's been metal bands, so I don't think it's at all inappropriate. Just not your taste :)
  • Options
    Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    They showed footage of the Nazi concentration camps on a big screen at the main event today. Merkel was there but I doubt if any old German soldiers were there. It was a celebration of beating the crap out of them after all.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just one other observation.

At such a high profile event Prince Charles will be expected to, William will not and has chosen not to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Metal bands have been doings songs about war for as long as there's been metal bands, so I don't think it's at all inappropriate. Just not your taste :)
    Actually i have quite a lot of Heavy Rock albums, but musically eclectic as it was through Rock i first got 'into' Classical so you can imagine my collection is pretty diverse.

I have a keen fondness for Military music and Brass bands and Ron Goodwin wrote many brilliant film scores. "Aces High" is most commonly done using Brass but i once heard it played at the Edinburgh Military Tattoo by a Pipe band.....and it was amazing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terry N wrote: »
    They showed footage of the Nazi concentration camps on a big screen at the main event today. Merkel was there but I doubt if any old German soldiers were there. It was a celebration of beating the crap out of them after all.
    Unlike wartime memorials in the UK it's not so easy for modern day Germany to deal with actually (bib).

Do they preserve these sites for people like myself who are extremely interested in wandering around them, or do they raze them to the ground and wipe them from history?

Well of course thankfully they have kept them, but the neo-Nazi of which there are a sizeable number would sooner they were razed to the ground as in their eyes the Holocaust 'never happened' and these Camps are simply 'made up fiction'. Security therefore is necessary but some neo-Nazi's did manage to set fire to one of the rebuilt huts at Dachau Concentration Camp, the first Camp established in Germany so of great historic significance. It was saved, but Dachau Memorial decided to leave it to let people see what they still have to deal with to this day.

The large Jewish Holocaust memorial in Berlin city centre is another example which is policed around the clock by plain clothes Police officers.

Visiting a Concentration Camp is compulsory education for every German school child. They must visit one Camp during their education years.