Options

Mr Selfridge - Series 3

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    Carolyn_BrownCarolyn_Brown Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    The historical accuracy went out of the window a couple of series ago but it doesn't matter really. My issue is with the rule of married women working back then. Surely Kitty would be made to stop working and anyway would her husband have allowed his wife to be what essentially is just a shop girl. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about this. If he was a successful journalist there would be no need for her to be working. I'm not saying this is wrong it was just what happened.
    Also what I think is funny is when Harry calls his heads of department and we have a Are You Being served moment when only the regular cast come together. He apparently had thousands of staff working for him. We also only see the ground floor where everything happens and his office.
  • Options
    REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The historical accuracy went out of the window a couple of series ago but it doesn't matter really. My issue is with the rule of married women working back then. Surely Kitty would be made to stop working and anyway would her husband have allowed his wife to be what essentially is just a shop girl. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about this. If he was a successful journalist there would be no need for her to be working. I'm not saying this is wrong it was just what happened.
    Also what I think is funny is when Harry calls his heads of department and we have a Are You Being served moment when only the regular cast come together. He apparently had thousands of staff working for him. We also only see the ground floor where everything happens and his office.

I think your being harsh here. Frank Edwards was not a very successful journalist and only in this series did Selfridge give him a job as head of publicity. The woman point might be valid but he brought American practice to Britain.

As for other floors, we do see the Palm Court restaurant and besides for a TV company what would be the point of building even bigger sets for little use.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amanda Abbington is returning for series 4
  • Options
    VersaillesVersailles Posts: 1,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amanda Abbington is returning for series 4

Hope she stays out of Sherlock, then.
  • Options