Options

Is Stuart Blackburn slowly morphing Corrie into a lighter soap?

FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
Forum Member
I don't watch Coronation Street that often, but from what I've seen on here, it's pretty shit right now. Although I see countless threads saying the SB should be sacked, characters need to be axed and storylines need to be picking up, have you considered that maybe this is the direction that Coronation Street is being pushed in right now, on purpose?

It could be that Stuart Blackburn is trying to morph the show into more of a "tea time" show rather than your average dramatic sensational soap. Perhaps he wants the show to be light, so that people can relax after a long hard day of working?

I don't think we should jump to the conclusion that SB is ruining the show. I think he's just trying to make it a little lighter.

Comments

• Options
    TellMeMoreTellMeMore Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In that case then maybe they should start showing it at an earlier timeslot, and put Emmerdale in a slot which might get it the viewership that it deserves so much more than its big ITV sister.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like that it is lighter but I'm probably only one
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    I don't watch Coronation Street that often, but from what I've seen on here, it's pretty shit right now. Although I see countless threads saying the SB should be sacked, characters need to be axed and storylines need to be picking up, have you considered that maybe this is the direction that Coronation Street is being pushed in right now, on purpose?

It could be that Stuart Blackburn is trying to morph the show into more of a "tea time" show rather than your average dramatic sensational soap. Perhaps he wants the show to be light, so that people can relax after a long hard day of working?

I don't think we should jump to the conclusion that SB is ruining the show. I think he's just trying to make it a little lighter.

How dare he try to return to the original concept of a 'soap', that proved so popular, not that many years back? He wouldn't have the gall to try to increase the dwindled ratings, would he?
  • Options
    honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    I like that it is lighter but I'm probably only one
    I like it to be lighthearted too. I think one way it has improved lately is in the character led short sketches.
    Wyezed wrote: »
    How dare he try to return to the original concept of a 'soap', that proved so popular, not that many years back? He wouldn't have the gall to try to increase the dwindled ratings, would he?

I am not sure that the original episodes were very lighthearted at all? The ones I have seen were a bit grim, and the current episodes have quite depressing stuff alongside the comedy.
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »

It definitely seems like it, but with what's coming up SB still shows he loves his sensationalism.

I don't think many on here find watching it 'relax time' since they're too busy saying how rubbish it is! (Me included at one point but it's alright now). That's their opinion obviously & it's not as good as what it could be, if I'm honest.

The stunt coming up right now looks really good, but I can't help thinking if it's just there to push the ratings up because its the final week of BGT. Last years episodes involved no stunts (apart from being thrown off a balcony) yet were still gripping, tense & really well written, but that was it. I wish the writers at Corrie would have excellent writing like last years BGT week episodes permanently. That would definitely help characters such as David Platt, known for his ruthlessness (he went on a rampage fgs!) yet he's letting people walk over him.

If Corrie was being made lighter, perhaps they should swap schedules with Emmerdale & have Corrie on Mondays-Fridays at 7pm & have Emmerdale with double nights 3 times a week or something(?) unless they cut the episodes down.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Light in soaps doesn't work, Newman tried it at EE and it failed, I know Corrie and EE are different beasts but fundamentally they are soaps and these days sensationalism needs to be included otherwise ratings will continue to fall.
  • Options
    radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up on it in a few years ago, holyjokes is much beter
  • Options
    Mark_Washingto1Mark_Washingto1 Posts: 19,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radyag wrote: »
    I gave up on it in a few years ago, holyjokes is much beter

That's a joke right? Hollyoaks is a hot mess
  • Options
    rollockingbatrollockingbat Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally don't think it's lighter under him at all. Overall, it's more miserable and nasty than I ever remember it being. If anything I'd say it began to lose it's 'lightness' around a decade ago. I think it's become more dimwitted though. A lot of the dialogue seems to be trying to appeal to the common moron now rather than providing believeable character dialogue and wit.
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it appears that the producers of Coronation Street and Emmerdale are working together to morph the two shows into one - Emmer Street or Coronation Dale; we had long-lost mothers reappearing on both soaps, we have a 50 yr pregnant woman on CS and a 40 yr. old pregnant woman on ED, we have a psycho woman, Jenny, on CS and a psycho woman, Emma on ED. We have nasty, spiteful Bethany and Sarah on CS and nasty spiteful Tracey and Carly on ED. All very odd.
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The soaps storylines aren't great, but I enjoy watching a handful of characters and the lighter moments. It makes the show watchable, when there's not much going on:p.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it appears that the producers of Coronation Street and Emmerdale are working together to morph the two shows into one - Emmer Street or Coronation Dale; we had long-lost mothers reappearing on both soaps, we have a 50 yr pregnant woman on CS and a 40 yr. old pregnant woman on ED, we have a psycho woman, Jenny, on CS and a psycho woman, Emma on ED. We have nasty, spiteful Bethany and Sarah on CS and nasty spiteful Tracey and Carly on ED. All very odd.
    They are. Blackburn has said so.
    Hence the sad state of both.
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrie's always been a lighter soap. There were plenty of funny moments during the Phil Collinson era.
  • Options
    emilybemilyb Posts: 855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally don't think it's lighter under him at all. Overall, it's more miserable and nasty than I ever remember it being. If anything I'd say it began to lose it's 'lightness' around a decade ago. I think it's become more dimwitted though. A lot of the dialogue seems to be trying to appeal to the common moron now rather than providing believeable character dialogue and wit.

Absolutely. Corrie was usually the more light hearted soap that didn't take itself too seriously. There were some big stories, but sometimes there wasn't as much happening. But what is missing now is the natural warm humour from the writing that made it so watchable even if it wasn't as "exciting" as EE. sadly many of the best actors have retired or passed away & the writing has become woeful
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrie used to be a "warm hearted soap" where many of the characters, despite their flaws, had a personality that stayed constant, were basically decent,and therefore became much loved by the viewers.

Now it's all about personality changes, nasty, vindictive behaviour from people like Todd, Tracy, Callum, Norris, Sophie,and in the past David.
    Their characters change like the wind and it's now difficult to think of any solid lovable characters in the show, (Royston may qualify) but even he went out of character for a while.

All very disappointing,
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    hatpeg wrote: »
    Corrie used to be a "warm hearted soap" where many of the characters, despite their flaws, had a personality that stayed constant, were basically decent,and therefore became much loved by the viewers.

Now it's all about personality changes, nasty, vindictive behaviour from people like Todd, Tracy, Callum, Norris, Sophie,and in the past David.
    Their characters change like the wind and it's now difficult to think of any solid lovable characters in the show, (Royston may qualify) but even he went out of character for a while.

All very disappointing,

didnt he do the same in emmerdale
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    didnt he do the same in emmerdale
    That was Gavin Blyth, but SB vowed to carry on his wishes.
  • Options
    CriticFanCriticFan Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean. Corrie is the worst it's been in ages. But Corrie do like their fire stunts hence why we have another upcoming one.
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wyezed wrote: »
    They are. Blackburn has said so.
    Hence the sad state of both.
    Thankyou, Wyezed. I thought I was imagining it. what a strange situation.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's always had it's lighter side