The end of Strictly Come Dancing

When Strictly Come Dancing burst onto our screens in 2004 it heralded the return of family entertainment on Saturday nights and the world fell in love with it.

But the seventh series is no more than a week old and it seems a fresh controversy about the programme hits the headlines every day: unknown 'celebrities', Alesha Dixon, scheduling against the 'X'-Factor., etc. All on the back of the uproar generated by Series 6 over John Sergeant and voting.

The latest is Justin Lee Collins' call for 'rude' Bruce Forsyth to quit because of his age. Incredibly, it's a BBC's story, dressed up, of course, as 'news' as the former presenter is interviewed at the launch of his autobiography.

Little by little the magic of SCD is bring destroyed. The BBC's own SCD website is playing its part by providing a kind of public affirmation of the critics. I really begin to wonder whether the show can survive this daily bickering. We are only one week into a 14-week run and already the knives are out.

It is, of course, a very British trait to undermine something successful but it makes me so sad to see it happening.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is, of course, a very British trait to undermine something successful but it makes me so sad to see it happening.

Why are you doing something that makes you sad?
  • ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    It probably is reaching the end of its life.

Big Brother. Blind Date.

There have been lots of great programmes that inevitably get stale. I have been addicted to SCD in years gone by but it is starting to look a little tired.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO this year is already much fresher than last and if people would actually STFU and watch it, they'd realise that this could be the best year for a long time.:D
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't agree more - in fact I started a thread just a little while ago saying this could be the best SCD yet! :o

I hope I'm not that out of touch, as I thought last weekend was just brilliant and for me those two shows were better than the whole of the last series (apart from T&C's suberb show dance which was the redeeming moment of the series)! :eek:
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katrinap wrote: »
    Why are you doing something that makes you sad?
    Precisely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,038
    Forum Member
    I really begin to wonder whether the show can survive this daily bickering. We are only one week into a 14-week run and already the knives are out.

To be honest some knives never get put away on the DS boards :p. I think it was bound to happen when theres big changes as most people who post on here love the show and therefore have very strong opinions on every subject, but we only bicker because we care!

I think this year is brilliant so far :D two main shows and two ITTs in and I'm loving it to bits. Can't wait to see the next load of celebs dancing :D.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It probably is reaching the end of its life.
    Unless of course parts of it change, parts get reinvented, parts get updated.

There have been lots of great programmes that inevitably get stale. I have been addicted to SCD in years gone by but it is starting to look a little tired.
    So it changes, the format changes (bit by bit, or wholesale), new things are tried, some of which work, some of which don't (and are dropped).

But to write its obituary after only two programmes, and 7-8 million viewers is a little premature. And when its time does come, it will be as Mark Twain said:

"Manifestly, dying is nothing to a really great and brave man."
  • VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed last Friday and Saturday. OK Alesha didn't have much to say but give the girl a chance.

I actualy laughed out loud at Brucie's joke about Erin being compared to an "old banger"; Ricky Groves proved what fun the show can be; Phil Tufnell's tongue was joy to be hold; Craig wishing Brendan "the best of luck darling, you'll need it" and many other moments.

Can't wait for Friday when I can turn the lights down low, put my feet up on the settee and enjoy the show clutching glass of red wine and bacon sarnie, bliss.

And yes, I did use to have a life before your ask ... !!
  • Force TenForce Ten Posts: 7,988
    Forum Member
    I couldn't agree more - in fact I started a thread just a little while ago saying this could be the best SCD yet! :o

I hope I'm not that out of touch, as I thought last weekend was just brilliant and for me those two shows were better than the whole of the last series (apart from T&C's suberb show dance which was the redeeming moment of the series)! :eek:

And Austin's jive!:D
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big Brother and Blind Date were haemmoraging viewers for years before they were cancelled. This year's Strictly opened to more or less the same numbers as last series, which was the most succesful ever (only in terms of ratings I hasted to add).
  • rickster1995rickster1995 Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    This year for me has been a wonderfull refreshing change and im loving it all
  • kittleskittles Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Strictly Come Dancing burst onto our screens in 2004 it heralded the return of family entertainment on Saturday nights and the world fell in love with it.

But the seventh series is no more than a week old and it seems a fresh controversy about the programme hits the headlines every day: unknown 'celebrities', Alesha Dixon, scheduling against the 'X'-Factor., etc. All on the back of the uproar generated by Series 6 over John Sergeant and voting.

The latest is Justin Lee Collins' call for 'rude' Bruce Forsyth to quit because of his age. Incredibly, it's a BBC's story, dressed up, of course, as 'news' as the former presenter is interviewed at the launch of his autobiography.

Little by little the magic of SCD is bring destroyed. The BBC's own SCD website is playing its part by providing a kind of public affirmation of the critics. I really begin to wonder whether the show can survive this daily bickering. We are only one week into a 14-week run and already the knives are out.

I think you'll find SCD died last year

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=935525&highlight=the+day+that+SCD+died

and that we are now watching some undead zombie version
  • Kez100Kez100 Posts: 3,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the changes.

Refreshing format - 2 dances the first weeks. New, mellowed panel with some emphasis on entertainment. Another voice of opinion to look forward to when things get serious. Some new pro dancers - Aliona, I really like - this week we will get to meet the others. Some potential car crashes where the celebrity will see the funny side of it - Richard and Phil.

I presume they have also sorted the number problem later on so everything stays fair.

I think it could be the best ever and there are lots of dancers with improvement possibility- jade, chris, ali, rav (and a lot more we'll see this week, I think!).

Bring it on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kittles wrote: »
    I think you'll find SCD died last year

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=935525&highlight=the+day+that+SCD+died

and that we are now watching some undead zombie version

I wonder what odds I could get for predicting in 2009 that it'll die again in 2010... :D
  • ErinfanErinfan Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    The show is exactly the same as the first series in theory - celebs being taught to dance by wonderful dancers and the audience following their journey before picking a winner. The difference is people take it more seriously every year and become more cynical towards it's content.

It has some problems, it has some controversy. There is still a lot to appreciate though and I agree with others who say it feels a lot fresher this year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,578
    Forum Member
    katrinap wrote: »
    I wonder what odds I could get for predicting in 2009 that it'll die again in 2010... :D
    I think the only question is when it'll die.

Last time it took months.

This time, a few days.

Next time, it'll be microseconds.

Or possibly it'll die before it's aired. Which would be very weird.
  • jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    I'll admit that I've been part of the negativity on here - I'm not good at change! - but I think the upcoming group of celebs are going to be a great mix and I'm loving ITT already. I also loved having a Friday and Saturday show and quite wish they'd keep that going for a few more weeks instead of one massively long Saturday show. I think a lot of the flak is just because the press are rabidly anti-BBC at the moment, and while I am worried about how well the show is going to do, I am looking forward to the dancing to come - which is the main thing.

You are mainly talking about the press, OP, and if the show is good the press will come back around.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this years is a lot fresher than last years to be honest, i think its a good idea to have all the couples dance from week 3 and i think this years show has alot better personalities.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavidJames wrote: »
    Or possibly it'll die before it's aired. Which would be very weird.

We'd be a watching a wake. Could be tricky doing a cha-cha under those conditions.
  • jjackson42jjackson42 Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

Say not so!!!! The best moment of the last series was unquestionably Brenda and Lisa' SUPERB Showdance!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAZ0nOmfWwY

Utterly classic!!

JJ (lol)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SCD is alive and kicking as always. Yes there are controversies but that doesn't stop people tuning in and enjoying the show. The dancing, the costumes, the highs and lows - great entertainment for all ages.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    IMO this year is already much fresher than last and if people would actually STFU and watch it, they'd realise that this could be the best year for a long time.:D

i completely agree!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope its not dead, its my first year watching.
    Oh God, hope it wasnt my fault....:)
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we know what rudeness JLC is referring too? Anyone knows what and where it was said?

Cheers,

P
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its FAR better than previous series already. It's more lighthearted, and a joy to watch.