Options

End of Snooker on the BBC

jaanfxjaanfx Posts: 264
Forum Member
I have just heard that the BBC have decided in not showing the World Open (the first of four snooker tournaments in the Snooker calendar) from next year. Instead they will just show the UK Championship, Wembley Masters and World Championships. BBC Wales might also drop the Welsh Open.

Could this mean the BBC quitely begining to move away from Snooker? Colour TV was pioneered by Snooker coverage, just seems a shame that BBC are now losing interest in this game - just as it is being revitalised by new chairman Barry Hearn.

Now, Eurosport are doing a good job in getting the game known all over Europe by their coverage of all major tournaments but they do lack in the quality. Watching snooker on Eurosport is a pain. So could ITV start bidding for some tournaments for ITV 4?

I dont expect Sky to show any major tournaments as they are still sulking after the big fall out with the WPBSA a few years back. Sky could have really ignited this sport but seem to be less interested in that.

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I think ITV4 would like to have more snooker or any live sport. I'm not sure about the thing between Sky and the WPBSA but Sky and Hearn/Matchroom have good links but so does Hearn and ITV4 these days.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unless the sport is on the protected sports list, im not sure the BBC are going to be bothered, that or unless the sports governing body gives them a Free to air discount.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the BBC is showing three of the biggest Snooker events played in them and dropping one.

Guess with the BBC budget being reduced, some sports will lose coverage. However like Golf, it is a balance between money (Sky) and audience (BBC/ITV). However ITV seem to put most sport aside from England, Champions League and FA Cup on ITV 4 a station not known for the biggest audiences.
  • Options
    chrisfinchchrisfinch Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    jaanfx wrote: »
    I have just heard that the BBC have decided in not showing the World Open (the first of four snooker tournaments in the Snooker calendar) from next year. Instead they will just show the UK Championship, Wembley Masters and World Championships. BBC Wales might also drop the Welsh Open.

Could this mean the BBC quitely begining to move away from Snooker? Colour TV was pioneered by Snooker coverage, just seems a shame that BBC are now losing interest in this game - just as it is being revitalised by new chairman Barry Hearn.

Now, Eurosport are doing a good job in getting the game known all over Europe by their coverage of all major tournaments but they do lack in the quality. Watching snooker on Eurosport is a pain. So could ITV start bidding for some tournaments for ITV 4?

I dont expect Sky to show any major tournaments as they are still sulking after the big fall out with the WPBSA a few years back. Sky could have really ignited this sport but seem to be less interested in that.

Sky are showing a new tournament over a weekend early in the new year-something tells me it is a one-frame shootout.

And Barry Hearn runs snooker now-it is hard to imagine any promoter/single person having a better relationship with sky Sports over the last 20 years than him, so I don't see that being a stumbling block any more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for the post. Do you have a link or more info?
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Guess with the BBC budget being reduced, some sports will lose coverage.

snooker is a cheap sport to show though so thats not really an issue
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    unless the sport is on the protected sports list, im not sure the BBC are going to be bothered, that or unless the sports governing body gives them a Free to air discount.

Well not a Sports fan, but have to work on these shows.

Indoor Bowls is a regular, November and January on BBC. My memory fails, but about 10 years ago, they changed format and rules for TV. Now they have a format that guarantees a match cant go on for hours. So they have changed to keep the TV coverage manageable, and it works.

Snooker had the great Taylor Final in the late 70s that went on for hours. But that was then. This is now. Snooker has lost a lot of appeal. It needs to do what Bowls has done, and make it a bit more 20:20 ie quicker results like the Cricket.

This was attempted at the World Cup (or whatever it was called) in Glasgow last Sept. A 5 frame knockout competition. Billed as the snooker 'FA Cup'. A 'quickfire' competition. Yeah right.

Was it faster for TV? No.

The sessions were longer than Sheffield. The problem I think was that a player, knowing he could be knocked out quicker, took even more time over his shots. It's not bowls, where 4 bowls are your only option. Every session at Glasgow was min 2 hours.

I think snooker need to make more changes to keep it as viable TV. Perhaps a time limit on taking a shot would be the first move?

The 'riveting' safety play will ensure its return back to the snooker halls of its fans, and away from TV.

Sorry Mr Ebdon :)

And sorry to snooker fans - not an expert here - just an opinion having worked in TV and covered snooker for many years.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Snooker still gets decent viewing figures, yes they have declined a bit but then in the age of multichannel tv nearly all sports have seen their viewing figures go down, people seem to enjoy finding faults in snooker for the sake of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snooker still gets decent viewing figures, yes they have declined a bit but then in the age of multichannel tv nearly all sports have seen their viewing figures go down, people seem to enjoy finding faults in snooker for the sake of it.

Could you please qualify that with some viewing figures, and a link?

Given your field of expertise seems to be F1, going on your posting history..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OB racks wrote: »
    Snooker had the great Taylor Final in the late 70s that went on for hours.

Try 1985
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC57 wrote: »
    Try 1985

ok wrong decade. Only 10 years adrift! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And you seem to be finding faults in anything I post, for the sake of it.

Are u a freelance I have bulleted, perchance?

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OB racks wrote: »
    Could you please qualify that with some viewing figures, and a link?

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2009/01/some-2.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2005/oct/26/bbc.sport
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think at one time snooker was very much over-exposed by the BBC, (who went a bit "Snooker Loopy" in my opinion) probably given the length of the transmissions it was not a particularly expensive sport top screen.

It then seemed to disappear a bit.

But since the money went out of the sport with the loss of cigarette advertising revenue it hasn't had the same "glamour" as in the days of "Embassy" and the like.

I mean, who'll be this year's Pukka Pies champion?
  • Options
    Forum Member

behind the red button, which has been great for snooker coverage in one respect, but the bbc have not done a great job of giving it sufficient airtime and publicity on its main channels.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I think at one time snooker was very much over-exposed by the BBC, (who went a bit "Snooker Loopy" in my opinion) probably given the length of the transmissions it was not a particularly expensive sport top screen.

But since the money went out of the sport with the loss of cigarette advertising revenue it hasn't had the same "glamour" as in the days of "Embassy" and the like.

Stephen Lee is desperate to be it.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However ITV seem to put most sport aside from England, Champions League and FA Cup on ITV 4 a station not known for the biggest audiences.

Isn't it?
    ITV4 gets bigger audiences for sport than any dedicated sport channels.

Europa League football? up to 2 million.
    Darts? Over 1 million.
    Cycling? 800,000
    Motorsport? 650,000

...but importantly, the first ever Power Snooker tournament got 400,000 viewers.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "protected list" is a bit "national heritage" in that it fails to recognise the changing face of sport.

The BBC will hang on to them but tastes change and BBC sport coverage will increasingly look dated and irelevant to most of the country.

That's a bad thing if you want the BBC to survive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

for what its worth I enjoyed Big Break, but generally the real snooker, was something that was on instead of something I wanted to watch, which annonyed me.
    Tassium wrote: »
    The BBC will hang on to them but tastes change and BBC sport coverage will increasingly look dated and irelevant to most of the country.

That's a bad thing if you want the BBC to survive.
    yes sports is why I would fail at the BBC, I would get it totally wrong, and loose viewers because of it.

As ariusuk said Power Snooker had a decent start, that might build up well on ITV 4 in the next few years.
  • Options
    Andy RimmerAndy Rimmer Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well you say that but I noticed in Sky's listings they are dedicating about 17 hours of Live Coverage to something called "World Snooker - Shoot Out" on Sky Sports 2 on the weekend of 28th/29th/30th January.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    that is basically a modern version of pot black, all matches are one frame shootouts and there is a shot clock as well.

snooker just doesn't work that well in such a short format, i'd rather watch pool to be honest
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snooker just doesn't work that well in such a short format, i'd rather watch pool to be honest
    theres a point, in my experince must pubs have a pool table, not a snooker table.

ok so there are the snooker clubs, but they play pool as well.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Comment on Snooker Scene blog suggests World Open will be held in China next season so no surprise it won't be on BBC any more.

See link (4th article down which lists 2011/12 schedule and need to open comments):

http://www.snookerscene.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the BBC is showing three of the biggest Snooker events played in them and dropping one.

Guess with the BBC budget being reduced, some sports will lose coverage. However like Golf, it is a balance between money (Sky) and audience (BBC/ITV). However ITV seem to put most sport aside from England, Champions League and FA Cup on ITV 4 a station not known for the biggest audiences.

The BBC budget reduction will play some part across the schedule.

The ITV4 comment is a little unjustified imo.
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Isn't it?
    ITV4 gets bigger audiences for sport than any dedicated sport channels.

Europa League football? up to 2 million.
    Darts? Over 1 million.
    Cycling? 800,000
    Motorsport? 650,000

...but importantly, the first ever Power Snooker tournament got 400,000 viewers.

Exactly.

Another thing is in the next 18-24 months every region in the UK will be post DSO. That will mean there'll be millions more households capable of viewing ITV4. There's still a lot of households in several regions that are still on just terrestrial analogue or cannot receive the current low power Freeview service. From what I can tell if they decide to view online they are not in the BARB figures either.

The current Freeview channel figures will rise substantially imo in the next 2 years - this obviously includes ITV4.
  • Options
    LinusJLinusJ Posts: 438
    Forum Member
    I used to love watching snooker on the telly, but ever since the spectre of spot-fixing/betting/whatever it's called, it's killed my enjoyment of the game.