Les Miserables

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I finally saw the movie last night and I'm still emotionally drained. I've never seen the stage show (believe me it's on my to do list) so didn't know what to expect but my god it fantastic. I knew from the opening scenes (Look Down) that I'd love the film. There's too much for me to mention but the last scenes had me sobbing, I didn't take any tissues so had to cry into my scarf. :o Seeing everyone singing 'Do you hear the people sing' was the last straw. I've got a lump in my throat just thinking about it. :(

Also, this was the first movie I've been to where the audience applauded when the end credits came up. Brilliant.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One member of the audience tried to get us to clap but no one else wanted to. It was embarrassing.
  • MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MadCatLady wrote: »
    Also, this was the first movie I've been to where the audience applauded when the end credits came up. Brilliant.

Reminds me of the first time I saw the film Amadeus at the cinema on its initial release in '84. First time I ever saw not one single person move from their seat as the closing credits rolled...everyone sat listening to that beautiful piano concerto played over the credits until the final note (the D minor).
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago when a was a mega-film buff, I would NEVER leave until the very last frame of any movie.

I was often the only person sat there and at times they have closed the curtains (Remember cinemas with curtains?) and switch off the movie halfway through the credits. Once they put the lights up and the cleaner came in and started putting things into the bin bag she was carrying and gave me filthy looks to leave. I didn't!

Some funny movies have a lot of out-takes in their end credits and are designed to be watched - Les Mis has a beautiful overture ('Mash up' for the kiddies) at the end and of cause everyone needs time to wipe their eyes without anyone seeing so that they can walk out looking hard! :D
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago when a was a mega-film buff, I would NEVER leave until the very last frame of any movie.

I was often the only person sat there and at times they have closed the curtains (Remember cinemas with curtains?) and switch off the movie halfway through the credits. Once they put the lights up and the cleaner came in and started putting things into the bin bag she was carrying and gave me filthy looks to leave. I didn't!

Some funny movies have a lot of out-takes in their end credits and are designed to be watched - Les Mis has a beautiful overture ('Mash up' for the kiddies) at the end and of cause everyone needs time to wipe their eyes without anyone seeing so that they can walk out looking hard! :D

Argh, I missed it as as soon as the film ended I was out of there like a rat up a drainpipe lest I scared other filmgoers with my ugly crying face.
  • stick_of_rockstick_of_rock Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't yet seen the stage show and so told myself i'd wait until I'd seen that before the film..but I caved the other night.

I thought this movie was incredible. Anne Hathaway particularly stood out. What a performance.

Now I just need to see the stage show..
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to see the stage show too. I loved the movie so much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to see the stage show too. I loved the movie so much.
    I hope you love it, just dont compare the two.
    I rather think seeing the film gives you much more cohesion to the stage show. I'd read the book ( loooong read) but there are parts of the show that they gloss over/omit quite key things.
    Having said that there is nothing to compare to a theatre production. My next visit isn't until September, but cant wait. :)
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I took from the film was how amazing the stage version really is (especially the more recent revised productions). For all their massive sets and huge casts of extra, they still couldn't match up to how epic and moving it is on stage with a relatively simple set but great lighting and more "centre stage" music to focus on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    googleking wrote: »
    What I took from the film was how amazing the stage version really is (especially the more recent revised productions). For all their massive sets and huge casts of extra, they still couldn't match up to how epic and moving it is on stage with a relatively simple set but great lighting and more "centre stage" music to focus on.

Spot on! Considering what they had to work with for the film, it is incredible what the stage production does with so little, and yet you leave the theatre completely spellbound and feeling like you're walking on air.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well - it certainly earns it's title .
  • Olls~Olls~ Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to see this tonight.

So sad, so stunning, so amazing.

Anne singing I Dreamed a Dream, Javert pinning the medal on the little lad and the last 10 mins will stay with me for a long while.

(I really want to see it again)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4 weeks at UK Box Office #1 :D
  • LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member

:D
    Innit tho!
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member

:D yes I know!

I absolutely loved the film - it was truly epic and I don't really want to criticise any of the actors either - just loved it, loved it. loved it.

I have always loved the stage version and I think for beautiful voices, atmosphere and live music it cannot be matched.

The film brought a different dimension for me, all those close-ups (which you don't get on a stage) you can literally see the pain of the story on their faces, big fat tears rolling down their cheeks, sad eyes etc..

Sorry I am starting to waffle a bit, but I just think the two different experiences i.e. stage/film cannot be compared as they both stand alone in their brilliance.

P.S. I even enjoyed Russell Crowe as Javert! .. I know he doesn't sing like Philip Quast but he has got a very foreboding presence :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are only about 6 major deaths in it, what do you mean?

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are only about 6 major deaths in it, what do you mean?

6? :D Maths, dear boy! Everybody dies #spoiler.

Except, luckily for you, Eddie Redmayne :p and Amanda Siegfried.

I tried to explain it to someone years ago and the 'nth' time I said "he/she dies" they rolled their eyes and said they went to the theatre for entertainment.

They are now nearly as big a Les Miz freak as me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    6? :D Maths, dear boy! Everybody dies #spoiler.

Except, luckily for you, Eddie Redmayne :p and Amanda Siegfried.

I tried to explain it to someone years ago and the 'nth' time I said "he/she dies" they rolled their eyes and said they went to the theatre for entertainment.

They are now nearly as big a Les Miz freak as me.

I said Major! (Which is of course subjective)

Jean Valjean
    Inspector Javert
    Fantine
    Éponine
    Gavroche
    and possibly the one of the ABC gang who dramatically hangs out of the window.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Jean Valjean
    Inspector Javert
    Fantine
    Éponine
    Gavroche

Enjolras - pretty major in my book :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jean Valjean
    Inspector Javert
    Fantine
    Éponine
    Gavroche

:eek: Enjolras! Surely a major character! Loved Aaron Tveit in the film as much as Michael Maguire and David Burt plus all the others I've seen except one bloke who was so short he looked like Gavroche. :(

All the ABC café were great characters to me. :cry:
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,908
    Forum Member
    I really wanna see this again at some point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanna see it again too. I saw it on the day of release, will give it another few weeks and see it again :)
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,908
    Forum Member
    I wanna see it again too. I saw it on the day of release, will give it another few weeks and see it again :)

I checked my local odeon website and there is nothing past this thursday. Surely it's not being removed from cinemas so soon?
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I ask ('cos I'm not that familiar with the story ) why does Russel Crowe spend so much time obsessively chasing Hugh Jackman ? I mean he only "#stole a loaf of brr-ead!!"# and there's thousands of other criminals . Jackman hardly seems to warrant it .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to see it tonight, I'm not that interested but my mum wants to go so i'll soldier on! ;)