Ladies, LADIES

Too much attention being paid to ' the manny '

Please remember whose forum this is ...

But Blue eyes...
    DMs TAKEN now and the manny is YOUNG and cute! :cool:
  • mazziebluemazzieblue Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Anyone up for a bit more?

So, I learned today why everyone is saying this might be the end. Apparently, BP is losing the lease on "the farm", the studios where they do most of the interior shots. If they want to keep going, they have to move or pay a really high continuing fee (those who frequent the pub thinks they are packing up).

Not sure if this is a spoiler, so to be on the safe side (no plot revelations):
    one of the people I was standing with asked a production member how many episodes they were filming and he responded "7....maybe 8". Ok, weird that they are still writing? Then some of the pub dwellers said they heard that they were filming a 90-minute Christmas special at the same time as the series and that's why they are staying till the end of July instead of leaving in early July like they normally do. (apparently this is what they did for the previous x-mas special.

On to actual spoilery type things things:
    Yesterday, they filmed at the "police station" in port gaverne. Then in the afternoon, they filmed a sequence where Penhale parks his jeep behind a truck. He then accuses the farmer that drives it of being drunk. When the farmer tries to leave, he crashes into Penhale's truck (he had a pipe in the back of the truck and it punched a hole in the back of Penhale's truck). He finally takes a breathalizer and passes and then leaves with a shout of "Idiot".

Today, they filmed in the Edge restaurant with AR and an older gentleman I could not recognize. The mysterious rose leaver, perhaps?

Next up, outside the police station they filmed a scene where penhale is sitting is his jeep and he calls in to a radio Dr. show asking for advice on the fact that he can't make friends. The doctor suggests he is too critical of those around him. Two boys are nearby and end up making faces of him in the window before running off.

On a funny note, the actor playing the farmer said his lines with this big, loud Cornish accent. He then came over to a production person and asked for tea in this quiet, proper British accent. I had to laugh.

I am dreading leaving on Sunday...having too much fun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Researching the name Emily I found a few references to the fact that when choosing names the pendulum has swung back to our grandparents/great grandparents names.

Johnny and Rose Bamford have called their children Pearl (8) and Frankie (6). Admittedly Rose is also an old fashioned name I think. Interesting though. Prepare for your grandchildren to be called Alfie, Stanley, Thelma, Lily, Edna and May.

My daughter is Emily. I have loved that name since I was 12 years old and always said that f I had a daughter she would be Emily. Thankfully my husband liked the name. He chose our other daughter's name which I also liked so it all worked out.

I agree with you cc. There are a few Lily's in my daughters Grade 1 level at school.

My 5 yr old nephew is 'Frank' and 3Yr old nephew is 'Roy'. You don't get kids being named Roy these days. (Except in our family ;))
  • mazziebluemazzieblue Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Oh, and to answer some questions:

MC carries his change of costume with him, he didn't have the crew carry it as he was leaving and they were staying. Or he's just that kind of guy (that was the suit he wore in a short sequence they filmed earlier).

Penhale wasn't in uniform as he was just visiting the set (those are John Marquez's actual clothes).

MC seems to have lost some weight...and it shows (not that I was staring or anything).

Also, saw Joe Absalom's wife today - she's due this week and looks ready to pop. Someone said she had a birthing pool put in the cottage they are renting...so there may be some news from PI coming.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Researching the name Emily I found a few references to the fact that when choosing names the pendulum has swung back to our grandparents/great grandparents names.

Johnny and Rose Bamford have called their children Pearl (8) and Frankie (6). Admittedly Rose is also an old fashioned name I think. Interesting though. Prepare for your grandchildren to be called Alfie, Stanley, Thelma, Lily, Edna and May.

:D:D:D also, don't forget Carolyn, MaryAnn, Connie, etc. Maybe also the era of Brittany, Tiffany and Amber has passed.

One of my granddaughters is called Frankie (short for Francesca).
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzieblue wrote: »

So, I learned today why everyone is saying this might be the end. Apparently, BP is losing the lease on "the farm", the studios where they do most of the interior shots. If they want to keep going, they have to move or pay a really high continuing fee (those who frequent the pub thinks they are packing up).

one of the people I was standing with asked a production member how many episodes they were filming and he responded "7....maybe 8". Ok, weird that they are still writing? Then some of the pub dwellers said they heard that they were filming a 90-minute Christmas special at the same time as the series and that's why they are staying till the end of July instead of leaving in early July like they normally do. (apparently this is what they did for the previous x-mas special.

Yesterday, they filmed at the "police station" in port gaverne. Then in the afternoon, they filmed a sequence where Penhale parks his jeep behind a truck. He then accuses the farmer that drives it of being drunk. When the farmer tries to leave, he crashes into Penhale's truck (he had a pipe in the back of the truck and it punched a hole in the back of Penhale's truck). He finally takes a breathalizer and passes and then leaves with a shout of "Idiot".

Today, they filmed in the Edge restaurant with AR and an older gentleman I could not recognize. The mysterious rose leaver, perhaps?

Next up, outside the police station they filmed a scene where penhale is sitting is his jeep and he calls in to a radio Dr. show asking for advice on the fact that he can't make friends. The doctor suggests he is too critical of those around him. Two boys are nearby and end up making faces of him in the window before running off.

On a funny note, the actor playing the farmer said his lines with this big, loud Cornish accent. He then came over to a production person and asked for tea in this quiet, proper British accent. I had to laugh.

Filming a Christmas special would make sense of the call for babies up to 6 months, who would be 10 months old in July.

Sorry to hear about the leasing problem for the studio. If they were wavering about whether to go on or not, that's the kind of thing that could tip the scales. But then, they have to be making a ton of money from this. And probably could hold up ITV for the increased leasing costs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    A few things about poorrichard's photos:

Why isn't PC Penhale wearing a uniform?
    John Marquez is going a little grey.
    I don't think Ian McNeice has lost any weight at all poor guy :(
    I spied the manny!!! Yum :)

John Marquez is one of the actors who I think must be staying in or near Port Isaac. The shots of him in the blue windbreaker and back-pack are true to the way he dresses when he is not filming. I saw him observing some of the takes he was not involved in on Tuesday morning, and when I had my picture taken with him on Friday he was just hanging around Fore Street (the one that runs along the Platt (with the manny, who took the photo). Recognising him I exclaimed "John!" gushed all over him about how much I enjoyed his character and the show and, plucking up all my courage, asked for the photo. But I might just as easily have walked past him, because with that backpack he blends in very well with one kind of tourist that is common in Port Isaac -- those who use it as a stopping place along the South West Coast trail. Fortunately, however he "arrested" me...with those eyes!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very interesting. Thanks for the update, Mazzie. You're getting to be an expert at digging for info!
    This could explain the "never say never" comments we heard after MC initially stated that S6 would be the last. Maybe this is the last full series, but they'll go out with a bang with a final Christmas special. This might also explain the "7, maybe 8" episodes comment. Seven for the regular season followed by the Christmas special.

The only thing that worries me about this is that they may leave us hanging at the end of S6, with everything to be wrapped up in December. Losing the lease on the farm fits into this scenario too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC seems to have lost some weight...and it shows (not that I was staring or anything).

No, of course you weren't. :p
    Also, saw Joe Absalom's wife today - she's due this week and looks ready to pop. Someone said she had a birthing pool put in the cottage they are renting...so there may be some news from PI coming.

A harpy's paddling pool?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Marquez is one of the actors who I think must be staying in or near Port Isaac. The shots of him in the blue windbreaker and back-pack are true to the way he dresses when he is not filming. I saw him observing some of the takes he was not involved in on Tuesday morning, and when I had my picture taken with him on Friday he was just hanging around Fore Street (the one that runs along the Platt (with the manny, who took the photo). Recognising him I exclaimed "John!" gushed all over him about how much I enjoyed his character and the show and, plucking up all my courage, asked for the photo. But I might just as easily have walked past him, because with that backpack he blends in very well with one kind of tourist that is common in Port Isaac -- those who use it as a stopping place along the South West Coast trail. Fortunately, however he "arrested" me...with those eyes!

Oh, my goodness! Your photo with a cast member taken by another cast member. That's pretty cool! It's a great photo too. If you see MC hanging around anywhere, you know what to do!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm taking this one paragraph out of the spoiler thing.
    Please let there be hanky panky going on! Those pjs worry me a bit! :rolleyes:

Don't worry, cookie, they can be removed!
    Forum Member
    I had a very gratifying chat on Tuesday with a member of the crew who revealed a few of the plot details for the upcoming season.

1. Aunt Ruth will move to the village and have a stalker, one of her former patients from Broadmoor (the rose-leaver?) Is he one and the same as the manny? I'm not sure but this revelation came in answer to my question about who the young man pushing the pram down in the hill in the confrontation scene between Louisa and Bert was. Look carefully at my close-ups of the manny. Could this be the same actor who was taking lithium in "On the Edge" (with a bit of a haircut and a brush up)? I think this actor is younger, but there is a certain resemblance.

2. The second bit of happy news that arose from my conversation with the crew member was that Mrs. Tishell will be returning, as will Morwenna. He implied that Morwenna would be involved in a romance of some kind this season. Let's hope Mrs. Tishell also digs deep and discovers the romance in her marriage to Clive.

3. Our conversation got around to the almost wedding that took place at the end of S3. Significantly, he called his the "first wedding" which to me says that there will for sure be a wedding filmed in a local church this season wherein Martin and Louisa will finally go through with it and tie the knot. (It sounded like they had already filmed it). I guess we have been hearing indications to this effect, and maybe none of what I've written here is news, but as I've been trying to avoid spoilers, it was all news to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is this a spoiler? We've discussed it before haven't we?
    Ben Bolt was supposed to write two episodes. He left or was pushed, early in this series or maybe before it started??
    So maybe he hadn't written or finished writing one of his episodes so it they can't get the current writers to come up with a new, fantastically written, witty episode quick smart they might make the decision to have only 7 episodes. Does that sound possible? :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Poor old Penhale. Sounds like a good story line for him though. :)

Wonderful for AR to find someone! :) But it will probably turn out to be someone from Broadmoor - perhaps her chess companion?

Don't leave Mazzie. Take one for the team and rent a cottage for 2 more months. :):):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    **Greta** wrote: »
    My daughter is Emily. I have loved that name since I was 12 years old and always said that f I had a daughter she would be Emily. Thankfully my husband liked the name. He chose our other daughter's name which I also liked so it all worked out.

I agree with you cc. There are a few Lily's in my daughters Grade 1 level at school.

My 5 yr old nephew is 'Frank' and 3Yr old nephew is 'Roy'. You don't get kids being named Roy these days. (Except in our family ;))
    NewPark wrote: »
    :D:D:D also, don't forget Carolyn, MaryAnn, Connie, etc. Maybe also the era of Brittany, Tiffany and Amber has passed.

One of my granddaughters is called Frankie (short for Francesca).

My neice just had a baby and called it Nina May. The May was after her grandmother - my mother in law. MIL is horrified. She hates the name May but calls herself that instead of her first name - Edna - that her parents saddled her with. :):):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and to answer some questions:

MC carries his change of costume with him, he didn't have the crew carry it as he was leaving and they were staying. Or he's just that kind of guy (that was the suit he wore in a short sequence they filmed earlier).

Penhale wasn't in uniform as he was just visiting the set (those are John Marquez's actual clothes).

Thank you so much for that info about John Marquez. You have both done wonderfully well as spies.

Poorrichard did you realise he was the manny at the time he took the photo of you and John for you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I'm taking this one paragraph out of the spoiler thing.

Don't worry, cookie, they can be removed!

Slowly, in front of the camera, I hope. :cool::cool::cool:
    Forum Member
    Oh, my goodness! Your photo with a cast member taken by another cast member. That's pretty cool! It's a great photo too. If you see MC hanging around anywhere, you know what to do!

I'll ask him to take one of me with Philippa! I bet he doesn't get a lot of that, and nor does she. I saw her striding up the hill by the pub with a dog on a lead, wearing her stable boots, and later self-driving a large blue Toyota land cruiser through the narrow streets of Port Isaac. Now that's a capable woman! I would have loved to talk with her, and certainly she had no great entourage of camera carrying tourists following in her wake, but she sort of projects an air of reserve, so I felt inhibited.:(
    Forum Member
    Thank you so much for that info about John Marquez. You have both done wonderfully well as spies.

Poorrichard did you realise he was the manny at the time he took the photo of you and John for you?

No I just thought he was some anonymous friend of John. It was Friday and he didn't appear in a scene until Tuesday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a very gratifying chat on Tuesday with a member of the crew who revealed a few of the plot details for the upcoming season.

1. Aunt Ruth will move to the village and have a stalker, one of her former patients from Broadmoor (the rose-leaver?) Is he one and the same as the manny? I'm not sure but this revelation came in answer to my question about who the young man pushing the pram down in the hill in the confrontation scene between Louisa and Bert was. Look carefully at my close-ups of the manny. Could this be the same actor who was taking lithium in "On the Edge" (with a bit of a haircut and a brush up)? I think this actor is younger, but there is a certain resemblance.

2. The second bit of happy news that arose from my conversation with the crew member was that Mrs. Tishell will be returning, as will Morwenna. He implied that Morwenna would be involved in a romance of some kind this season. Let's hope Mrs. Tishell also digs deep and discovers the romance in her marriage to Clive.

3. Our conversation got around to the almost wedding that took place at the end of S3. Significantly, he called his the "first wedding" which to me says that there will for sure be a wedding filmed in a local church this season wherein Martin and Louisa will finally go through with it and tie the knot. (It sounded like they had already filmed it). I guess we have been hearing indications to this effect, and maybe none of what I've written here is news, but as I've been trying to avoid spoilers, it was all news to me.
    1. What did I tell you!!!! Before I'd even read poor richard's post. Someone from broadmoor, maybe the chess player. :D

The actor playing the manny is not the lithium guy in On the Edge. The manny (can't remember his acting name and haven't time to seach back) is a fairly new actor who has only done stage acting so far in his career.

Oh I hope it is not the manny. I have high hopes for the manny and morwenna.

2. Mrs T returns. Fantastic! :D:D:D

3. Poor richard, we did work that out because of the rings but no doubt you've been too busy getting the latest hot news to read the forum. Totally understandable.

Isn't it interesting that some of the crew will talk and reveal stuff when they were so particular earlier? Maybe poor richard and Mazzie have a way with them that encourages confidences! :cool: We are very lucky to have you two on the spot. Thank you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I just thought he was some anonymous friend of John. It was Friday and he didn't appear in a scene until Tuesday.

:D:D:D
  • Eileen0103Eileen0103 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Poorrichard54:

The actor in "On the Edge" is Chris O'Dowd, he was on with David Letterman this week talking about his new movie, "Sapphires". Do you know how long the filming is till in July, I read the 26th, could it be later than that?
    Forum Member
    WOW! These are FANTASTIC photos, PoorRichard, and there are so many of them. Thank you so much!...I'm amazed to see the detail BP puts into this show. Those 8 x 10 flyers of the Portwenn Community Choir, the Portwenn Cafe, the flower show, quiz and karaoke at the Crab & Lobster, church services at the parish of Portwenn! Amazing. And the book satchels carried by the student extras that read, "Portwenn School". I mean, they think of everything!...Is the baby we see in a few shots (wearing that cute hat with ears) one of the James Henry babies? He does look a little bigger/older than the S5 babies....I love the photo of MC holding the doggie. Great photo of you and John Marquez! You've really got some great shots here. Thanks so much for sharing them. Take some more! Aren't they supposed to be filming at Port Gaverne today?...Thank you, thank you!

I'm glad you (and others) liked the photos. I felt something of a responsibility to get some on behalf of those in the forum who couldn't be there, but they are not composed as well as I could wish (people stepping in the way and security shouting "no photos" just at the moment when you have a good one lined up -- very frustrating). However, I was lucky that over the two days I was able to see most of the cast, except those characters who hardly ever step out of doors, and Aunt Ruth (which is a pity; I had hoped to see her). I am home now, so although filming continues all this week they'll have to carry on after Tuesday without me. I was actually supposed to spend the day in Paris on Tuesday, but rearranged things so I could see more filming, my experience on Friday (with the exception of my moment of bliss with John Marquez' arm 'round me) being far from satisfactory. Paris will still be there next year I figured, but there may not be a S7 of Doc Martin. And Tuesday was both a much pleasanter day weather-wise and a better day to watch the filming, since, as mazzieblue says, they were literally all over the village.

I was so struck by those notices too! They must have figured they would be visible in the background during the scene where Louisa is herding a group of school children out of the school yard. They filmed that one right after lunch on Tuesday. They are the sort of notices one sees in small villages throughout Cornwall, but Portwenn (as we know) is a particularly nice village, with all that stuff going on (I want to join the choir, particularly if conducted by Roger Fenn). My only critique is that they have the All Saints' Day and remembrance day services which would fall on November 4 and 11th in 2012 up together with the notice for the flower show which happens in August. Clearly they need to retain a consultant who knows the liturgical calendar to get these details right (I'm available...)

You mention the "Portwenn school" book satchels the kids are carrying -- they're actually gift bags from BP. As the kids and their mothers gathered for the scene outside the school I got talking to some of them. They are from Delabole Primary school, the interior of which they use for the school at Portwenn. BP was filming an interior scene at the school earlier in the month which involved a lot of kids and for that it made a contribution to the school. Then a smaller number of kids were selected to appear in this scene and they were paid individually. One of the kids' mothers was the flambuoyantly dressed woman I photographed on Friday in her blond dred-locks assuming she was an extra. She was. I was impressed with the way the kids were given their acting instruction by the crew. There was this one crew member, Victoria, who appears in a couple of the photos -- puffy vest, low-riding jeans, short hair. She seemed to have some seniority and was expertly leading them through their paces, calling them all "my angel." I found this hilarious since whenever she turned toward us tourists she transformed into an absolute gorgon, letting us feel definitely that we were a nuisance, and going so far as give misleading information in the hope of getting us to hare off after some wild goose. I considered this very uncool, since the rest of the security people were firm but understanding, and occasionally quite humourous (like the guy with the spiky hair and white glasses who told us he couldn't have us popping up over the wall "like meercats" to peer into the school yard because it wouldn't look good on film). All that to say that from gift-bags for the child-extras to firm but kindly security detail (Kenny, who seemed to be chief of security was a real sweetheart) BP gets high marks for their effort to interact with locals in a gracious way. If there is still that sentiment among the villagers that Port Isaac has been ruined by Doc Martin it may be not be all BP's fault.

Yes, both children wearing the hats with the ears (one toted by a man and the other by a woman) are two different babies, each used for the scene where James Henry is being rolled down the hill in his pram by the manny. He does look a little older, but not all that much. I had thought that one of the options for S6 would be to start it with some time elapsed, but then we might not have seen a certain greatly anticipated event...and that would be sad.

I think the dog was a loaner. The two women he is with, were very determined to meet Martin Clunes and I think I overheard them to say that they had acquired a dog locally for the purpose. And those lovely shots of MC interacting with fans, were only taken because certain people were brave or motivated enough to defy the security directive to move "straight up" or straight down" the hill. He didn't "hold court" with the public as it were and wasn't "available" in that way to all.:(
    Forum Member
    Eileen0103 wrote: »
    Poorrichard54:

The actor in "On the Edge" is Chris O'Dowd, he was on with David Letterman this week talking about his new movie, "Sapphires". Do you know how long the filming is till in July, I read the 26th, could it be later than that?

I just heard "end of July" as the time when the filming would conclude, and not from anyone with particular authority to know. Sorry.
This discussion has been closed.