how much of total income tax should the top 1% pay

carlos_jacksoncarlos_jackson Posts: 168
Forum Member
Apparently they now contribute 30%, is this enough? My view is it should be more.

Comments

• DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently they now contribute 30%, is this enough? My view is it should be more.

1. How much more ?
    2. What is your justification for this ?
    3. What do you think will be the economic effect of your policy and why ?
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why income tax?
  • carlos_jacksoncarlos_jackson Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see the trend of the last 15 years continue, with gradual increases moving closer to 40%.

I believe those who are lucky enough to have this amount of income should assist in the redistribution of wealth in this country, and yes luck does play a huge part in this, even though few are prepared to admit it. None of us choose our genetics, health profile, intelligence, physical characteristics, environment we grew up in, etc .

I would hope those on low incomes could be taken out of tax altogether, which would make them more economically active, and better for our economy. I don't have proof it would benefit our economy only that I choose to believe it e would as those on low incomes seem less likely to hoard cash.

I fully understand that what is not known is more than what is known within economics, but if anyone could come up with good evidence that this policy was causing damage we could always reverse it.
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    For a Wayne Rooney sort of salary, 99%.

Even if that applied to all his salary, and it wouldn't, he would still earn over £150,000 a year.

Ideally, I would see the gold standard years as being 1947 and 1967 when tax including supertax was over 100%,
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see the trend of the last 15 years continue, with gradual increases moving closer to 40%.

I believe those who are lucky enough to have this amount of income should assist in the redistribution of wealth in this country, and yes luck does play a huge part in this, even though few are prepared to admit it. None of us choose our genetics, health profile, intelligence, physical characteristics, environment we grew up in, etc .

I would hope those on low incomes could be taken out of tax altogether, which would make them more economically active, and better for our economy. I don't have proof it would benefit our economy only that I choose to believe it e would as those on low incomes seem less likely to hoard cash.

I fully understand that what is not known is more than what is known within economics, but if anyone could come up with good evidence that this policy was causing damage we could always reverse it.

The problem is it is already known what the effect of hiking tax on the very richest does - President Hollande is just the latest world leader to find out. When you are talking about the top 1 per cent taxes are very much discretionary at that level as they can employ very expensive tax accountants, and failing that they can just put all the income on the wife's name offshore ala Phillip Greene. The rationale in some quarters is now to reduce the levels of tax on everyone so it makes it less and less worth their while seeking tax avoidance schemes.

You say if anyone could come up with good evidence that this policy was causing damage we could always reverse it. Firstly the evidence is there now from numerous past examples around the world and secondly as to reversing it once you have found it is failing that is a bit like bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see the trend of the last 15 years continue, with gradual increases moving closer to 40%..

Have you worked out what tax rate you would need for the top 1% to contribute 40% of all tax?
  • carlos_jacksoncarlos_jackson Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    The problem is it is already known what the effect of hiking tax on the very richest does - President Hollande is just the latest world leader to find out. When you are talking about the top 1 per cent taxes are very much discretionary at that level as they can employ very expensive tax accountants, and failing that they can just put all the income on the wife's name offshore ala Phillip Greene. The rationale in some quarters is now to reduce the levels of tax on everyone so it makes it less and less worth their while seeking tax avoidance schemes.

You say if anyone could come up with good evidence that this policy was causing damage we could always reverse it. Firstly the evidence is there now from numerous past examples around the world and secondly as to reversing it once you have found it is failing that is a bit like bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Oh come on, when has the French economy been anything other than in the doldrums? Irrespective of who the leader is? France is a very different country to this one, there are a million reasons why their economy is stagnant.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It should be 99% for all incolmes over £10k per annum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    It should be 99% for all incolmes over £10k per annum.

I wouldn't go that far, but 99% for the billionaires who have been feeding of this crisis doesn't sound all too unreasonable.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the same PERCENTAGE as everyone else ..... if of course we did it like that .....

which we don't
  • NP73NP73 Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't go that far, but 99% for the billionaires who have been feeding of this crisis doesn't sound all too unreasonable.

How much for the billionaires who haven't been feeding off this crisis, though?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    All of it.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Global Tax Rate.

You pay the same wherever you live on the planet. That way we can redistribute the wealth fairly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    Global Tax Rate.

You pay the same wherever you live on the planet. That way we can redistribute the wealth fairly.

Good idea, lets make everyone poor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good idea, lets make everyone poor.

What a poor comment you have made.

If we sort out the flaws in the tax laws then the majority of people would pay less tax. One reason we are paying so much is that we have to take up the slack left by the evaders and avoiders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a poor comment you have made.

If we sort out the flaws in the tax laws then the majority of people would pay less tax. One reason we are paying so much is that we have to take up the slack left by the evaders and avoiders.

You want to redistribute wealth, but there isn't enough wealth to go around 7 billion people. The system relies on there being rich and poor people.
  • nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    That is NOT 30% of their income, but 30% of EVERYBODY's income. 30% of ALL income tax revenue comes from them
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    You want to redistribute wealth, but there isn't enough wealth to go around 7 billion people. The system relies on there being rich and poor people.

Correct. The Capitalist system that is.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

i think you have misunderstood the statistic.

30% of the entire revenue generated by income tax comes from the top 1% of earners.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

With the rich getting ever richer at the expense of everyone else who get ever poorer.

I wonder why so many people have a problem with that......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is this the same system that almost fell in on itself in 2008? You know the one that had to be propped by the various Governments?

Seems like it needs massive restructuring.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is better tackled at the other end which is pay levels not taking ever greater levels of tax off a very few people to top up low wages.
  • wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Expecting 1% of the population to contribute 30% of taxation is grossly unfair as it stands. It is about time the other 99% (including me) were not so reliant on so few.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the same system that almost fell in on itself in 2008? You know the one that had to be propped by the various Governments?

Seems like it needs massive restructuring.

No, it didn't have to be propped up by various governments.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    talking of income tax I see that the chancellor intends to rename National Insurance as Earnings Tax

If they're giving up the pretence that NI is an Insurance premium rather than a tax why not just go the whole hog and amalgamate it into income tax.......simplify the system !