Options

USB Bandwidth exceeded ?

I currently have 6 slots for USB, 4 in the back two in the front.
Running on these are keyboard,mouse and sagem modem for tiscali broadband.
When i tried to install my speakers a message came up telling me that there wasnt enough bandwidth to support the speakers.
A dialogue box came up with percentages of bandwidth being used by the devices the modem was at 79% others were 10 %.
How do i fix this problem,as i cant get any sound what so ever and it stops my songs on itunes from even moving along.
Any help would be greatfully received.

Comments

• Options
    DinoDino Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chas smash wrote:
    When i tried to install my speakers a message came up telling me that there wasnt enough bandwidth to support the speakers.
    Silly question, I know, but do you have USB 2? Also, have you tried plugging the speakers into a different USB socket; it might be that it's connecting to the same USB controller as the modem. In that case, the bandwidth would be shared between all devices that are connected to the sockets on that USB controller. Try putting the speakers into a different socket. If you only have a single USB controller you might be stuffed, but I guess with 6 sockets, you'll have more than one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dino wrote:
    Silly question, I know, but do you have USB 2? Also, have you tried plugging the speakers into a different USB socket; it might be that it's connecting to the same USB controller as the modem. In that case, the bandwidth would be shared between all devices that are connected to the sockets on that USB controller. Try putting the speakers into a different socket. If you only have a single USB controller you might be stuffed, but I guess with 6 sockets, you'll have more than one.
    Yes i have USB2, brand new pc from dell.
    I have tried plugging speakers into front USB still no sound.
    Surely if you have six ports it should be able to support the six,it isnt as if im running anything heavy duty
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well you should be able to run 127 devices from one usb port
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tv watcher wrote:
    well you should be able to run 127 devices from one usb port
    I know but i am unable to:
    This wasnt really advice was it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chas smash wrote:
    A dialogue box came up with percentages of bandwidth being used by the devices the modem was at 79% others were 10 %.
    How do i fix this problem,as i cant get any sound what so ever and it stops my songs on itunes from even moving along.
    Any help would be greatfully received.

Have a look on dells website, i have found excellent information there in the past. Or give dell a phone.

Have a look at this page and chooose your system....
    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/
  • Options
    gargleroadsidegargleroadside Posts: 4,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chas smash wrote:

chas smash wrote:
    Yes i have USB2, brand new pc from dell.
    Don't connect a modem via USB. Since you have a brand new PC it'll have a network port. Get an ADSL modem router and connect it to the PC via the network port (ethernet). Here's a cheap one that would do the job:

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/90976

Although it does work, USB isn't really for connecting modems and networking.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, USB is for absolutely anything.
    There's no way that a modem could eat up anything like 79% of bandwidth on a USB2 system. That would be a good 300 Megabits per second.
    It sounds like there's some strange problem and it's only running on USB1.
    I can't think of anything to try apart from just swapping everything round onto different ports.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seem to rememeber reading long ago but doesnt your usb 2 compatable board have a usb 1 and 2 controller with the two sometimes being completely different controllers. Soo if the modem was usb it would be using the usb 1 controller and with an 8mb connection it may well hog all of that?

Now my long thoughts over I seriously doubt the above is happenning anyway you'd have to be maxing the connection out anyway (not likely with tiscali). Try visiting the windows update website and clicking on the custom updates and checking if there are any updates on there for the chipset/mobo whatever. . . se if you can identify the maker and look on their website for updates failing that like others said call dell
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the help i will give theses a go
  • Options
    DinoDino Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get back to Dell if it's all Dell equipment.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But an adsl router would perform better than USB, not drawing on systme resources, not causing any crashes which are generally device driver problems and you get the added protection of SPI and NAT.