Options

Panorama: Jimmy Savile - What The BBC Knew, BBC1, 10.35pm 22 Oct

Comments

• Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,016
    Forum Member
    Watching the programme again Meirion Jones says Duncroft was an 'odd' place with 'weird' celebrities and 'minor' Royals visiting.

I know he visited the place due to his aunt being the head, apart from Savile why did he regard other celebrities as 'weird' ?

I don't know why but have a sneaky feeling about Meirion.
  • Options
    drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Watching the programme again Meirion Jones says Duncroft was an 'odd' place with 'weird' celebrities and 'minor' Royals visiting.

I know he visited the place due to his aunt being the head, apart from Savile why did he regard other celebrities as 'weird' ?I don't know why but have a sneaky feeling about Meirion.

why do you have a sneaky feeling about him??

bib - he didn't say the celebrities were wierd he said the place was weird
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Including those who gave Savile the front door key to Broadmoor, his own bedroom at one of the Hospitals he frequented, carte blanche entry to facilitate parking of his Motorhome in the grounds of a Home for 'wayward' girls?
    He had rooms at all the hospitals he volunteered at.
  • Options
    Mr MertonMr Merton Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    It's true that there are people who for reasons best known to themselves still feel like this, though they probably fall into the "guilty until proven innocent" crowd (or just hate the BBC anyway):

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/norfolk_woman_refuses_to_pay_bbc_licence_fee_in_jimmy_savile_protest_1_1678434

Which conveniently forgets that there is an ongoing major police investigation into all of this, therefore it's very premature to take action against anyone until the investigation has been concluded. Otherwise it's just like blaming modern Germany for World War 2. (Or, more accurately, the Germany of the 1960s for World War 2.) Or dosen't anyone trust the police anymore to find and prosecute guilty people?

And a word of advice for anyone on any discussion forum: PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member

I know he visited the place due to his aunt being the head, apart from Savile why did he regard other celebrities as 'weird' ?

I don't know why but have a sneaky feeling about Meirion.

Much the same feelings here.

I was concerned about Meirion's role in the Newsnight investigation from the moment I discovered his aunt was head of Duncroft.
    I still don't understand why he was allowed to continue to have anything to do with it once the family relationship was known.

Hopefully we'll have a greater iinsight when Nick Pollard completes his inquiry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    drillbit wrote: »
    why do you have a sneaky feeling about him??

bib - he didn't say the celebrities were wierd he said the place was weird

At about 10mins he says....
    It was a very strange place and it was filled with wierd celebrities coming along*, film stars, all sorts of people, minor royality. Very, very, strange.

(*may have said 'around')

Later he described everything about the place as being odd.

So why were they wierd and remember his aunt was the head, did she have a say or was she just in charge of the educational side?

As to him being sneaky just feel he may have colluded with Mark William-Thomas and briefed against his boss.

Considering the title of the programme "What the BBC knew" no mention was made of the reported pitch to Panorama on 31 Oct 2011 and why he didn't take it further.

Liz MacKean mentions the 2007 investigation was a clincher but did the programme mention the CPS note attached to the file?

How about the apparent repeated requests for a letter claiming the police dropped the investigation because of Savile's age which resulted in a reported fake letter.

I accept the programme was looking at abuse by Savile, but if the police were wrong not to interview staff so was Meirion Jones as producer, or was everything based on his impressions?
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Merton wrote: »
    It's true that there are people who for reasons best known to themselves still feel like this, though they probably fall into the "guilty until proven innocent" crowd (or just hate the BBC anyway):

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/norfolk_woman_refuses_to_pay_bbc_licence_fee_in_jimmy_savile_protest_1_1678434

I already posted that link 4 posts up.
    Otherwise it's just like blaming modern Germany for World War 2. (Or, more accurately, the Germany of the 1960s for World War 2.)

Pretty close to invoking Godwin’s Law there.
    Which conveniently forgets that there is an ongoing major police investigation into all of this, therefore it's very premature to take action against anyone until the investigation has been concluded.

What do you mean by “take action”? The arrests are part of the ongoing major police investigation.
    Or dosen't anyone trust the police anymore to find and prosecute guilty people?

Because the police did such a bang-up job of bringing Savile to book while he was still alive? Is it any wonder people have little trust in them? Isn’t there an investigation into why their last (2007?) effort to get Savile also fell apart? Doesn’t exactly fill you with confidence does it?

And it’s the CPS who prosecute, not the police.

More BBC staff accused of sex abuse

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/more-bbc-staff-accused-of-sex-abuse-as-freddie-starr-is-freed-on-bail-8277282.html

I’m sure this will come as a surprise to no-one except the staunch defenders of the BBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Which conveniently forgets that there is an ongoing major police investigation into all of this, therefore it's very premature to take action against anyone until the investigation has been concluded. Otherwise it's just like blaming modern Germany for World War 2. (Or, more accurately, the Germany of the 1960s for World War 2.) Or dosen't anyone trust the police anymore to find and prosecute guilty people?

And a word of advice for anyone on any discussion forum: PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.

Interesting photo accompanying the story you linked to.

Savile's clothing emblazoned with pubicity for an ITV /Anglia Telethon.

Surely Anglia Television bosses aren't going to be accused of covering up for Savile.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Including those who gave Savile the front door key to Broadmoor, his own bedroom at one of the Hospitals he frequented, carte blanche entry to facilitate parking of his Motorhome in the grounds of a Home for 'wayward' girls?

Instead of starting at the bottom they need to go straight to the top and then work down........but that would mean embarrassing a huge number of senior political figures and 'respectable' persons of the establishment.

And we just can't have that can we?

You pose excellent questions here.

These are issues concerning Ministers at the very top of Margaret Thatcher's government of the time.

The two BBC inquiries are now underway and a similar level of scrutiny is needed about Savile's role at Broadmoor.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newsnight tonight could be very interesting if they can get it past the lawyers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Paul55 wrote: »
    Much the same feelings here.

I was concerned about Meirion's role in the Newsnight investigation from the moment I discovered his aunt was head of Duncroft.
    I still don't understand why he was allowed to continue to have anything to do with it once the family relationship was known.

Hopefully we'll have a greater iinsight when Nick Pollard completes his inquiry.

Wonder if Nick Pollard will ask what age Meirion Jones was when he visited the school.

Will the various computers be checked for who communicated with whom and when.

Were Liz Mackean's emails based on what Meirion Jones told her.

Panorama should have 'doorstepped' in their offices Peter Rippon, and those said to have applied pressure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC producers 'had doubts about Jimmy Savile in the 1960s'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/nov/02/bbc-jimmy-savile
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012...c-jimmy-savile
    However, their concerns are believed to have been over Savile's background as a club DJ and manager, rather than over allegations of sex abuse

Big deal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Nothing to add again to the topic at hand I see other than sniping.

You do realise the hypocrisy of that snipe, don't you?
  • Options
    fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freddie Starr on the news this morning said something like " I would never have gone into a dressing room with Savile and Glitter" as if it was the worse thing he could ever be accused of...... So he must have known something, even if he wasn't involved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    fizzler333 wrote: »
    Freddie Starr on the news this morning said something like " I would never have gone into a dressing room with Savile and Glitter" as if it was the worse thing he could ever be accused of...... So he must have known something, even if he wasn't involved.

Maybe, or it could simply mean that he never did go into a dressing room with Savile and Glitter,
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe, or it could simply mean that he never did go into a dressing room with Savile and Glitter,

Yes, but at the time Glitter was not a convicted sex offender and Savile offenses were not acknowledged by any authorities so why would he not go into a dressing room with them? There is no reason for him to say 'no' if asked, especially as he was a guest on his show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    Yes, but at the time Glitter was not a convicted sex offender and Savile offenses were not acknowledged by any authorities so why would he not go into a dressing room with them? There is no reason for him to say 'no' if asked, especially as he was a guest on his show.

Oh I agree but it doesn't automatically mean that he said yes either. :)
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    Aka people whose opinion mirrors yours exactly. You just can’t tolerate criticism of the BBC, that’s all it is.
    Yes that's the only possible explanation :rolleyes:
    You should go round and have a word with her, tell her all about how none of this is the BBC’s responsbility.
    I hope she is also going to refuse to pay the portion of her taxes that go towards paying for the NHS as they are as responsible as the BBC. If not then she's simply a hypocrite.
    And it’s the CPS who prosecute, not the police.
    And, luckily (or, more accurately, by design) they cannot prosecute without any factual evidence of wrong-doing. (Note: This does not include rumours, suspicions or doubts.)
    BBC producers 'had doubts about Jimmy Savile in the 1960s'..
    Yes? So what? You can't prosecute on doubts.
    DFI wrote: »
    No. I really don't think he does.
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I agree but it doesn't automatically mean that he said yes either. :)

could be he wasnt overly keen on either of them and wouldnt go anywhere with them that wasnt on set in a tv programme
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I made sure to include a link to recently published Savile-related comment so, much as you like to think you scored points, you really didn’t. My comment was related to the quoted poster below who rarely adds anything to the topic to hand, capable only of sniping and carping it seems, mainly aimed at the posts of Doghouse and myself.
    Yes that's the only possible explanation

Good, we’re agreed.
    I hope she is also going to refuse to pay the portion of her taxes that go towards paying for the NHS as they are as responsible as the BBC. If not then she's simply a hypocrite.

No idea. You should ask her.
    And, luckily (or, more accurately, by design) they cannot prosecute without any factual evidence of wrong-doing. (Note: This does not include rumours, suspicions or doubts.)

Who on earth was claiming the CPS went to court armed only with rumours, suspicions or doubts? Nobody, that’s who.
    No. I really don't think he does.

The vast majority of your posts are nothing but carping at my heels and that of others you’re obsessed with, others who contribute constructive opinion and content to this forum whilst you yourself just dog their steps with your incessant personal criticism. If you put as much energy into discussing the subjects at hand as you do stalking sundry people across DS then you’d help contribute to the better posting environment you pretend to want.

Looks like the other names are beginning to emerge:

Reggie Perrin abused me at Beeb

Legend Leonard Rossiter named in sex attack at BBC HQ

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4624652/New-BBC-abuse-claims-name-screen-legend-Leonard-Rossiter-who-played-Reggie-Perrin.html

Today}s Daily Star cover:

http://images.dailystar-uk.co.uk/dynamic/pixfeed/covers/257x330front/2012-11-03.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I made sure to include a link to recently published Savile-related comment so, much as you like to think you scored points, you really didn’t. My comment was related to the quoted poster below who rarely adds anything to the topic to hand, capable only of sniping and carping it seems, mainly aimed at the posts of Doghouse and myself.

A simple "yes" would have done, It certainly would have saved you the embarrassment of your follow up.

But hey ho.....there's no accounting for some people's misguided perceptions of themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wonder if Nick Pollard will ask what age Meirion Jones was when he visited the school.

Will the various computers be checked for who communicated with whom and when.

Were Liz Mackean's emails based on what Meirion Jones told her.

Panorama should have 'doorstepped' in their offices Peter Rippon, and those said to have applied pressure.

These are all such relevant matters that they must surely be part of Pollard's investigation.
  • Options
    fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »

Exactly.... Either way Starr is lying, he either went in there with them or knew what they were up to and declined Saviles invite.
  • Options
    drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly.... Either way Starr is lying, he either went in there with them or knew what they were up to and declined Saviles invite.

but this is it...if you look at the archive footage on youtube
    its two different clunk click shows ..so glitter and starr wouldn't have been in the dressing room at the same time