Most haunting film you have ever seen

Comments

• JessTheCatJessTheCat Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said When the Wind Blows and Threads. Especially Threads - I'll never forget that bit with the mushroom cloud and the lady wetting herself. I think what made it worse was that back then we thought it was pretty likely to happen so it was really quite unnerving.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is The Others the one where the woman's son goes missing in the haunted house and they find him dead in the basement eventually? Did you watch all the way to the end, it's a nice ending actually although quite sad.

Nope - the others stars Nicole Kidman and I think a young Kirsten Dunst
  • AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    This doesn't count as a film, but one horrifically haunting piece of television is the old Tales of the Unexpected episode, 'The Flypaper'. I understand they don't even show this one in reruns, as it deals with a horrible theme. It's on youtube, though, for those who are interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V40FT_NWCw

I remember it. In fact all the Tales of the Unexpected kind of stay with you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    Steve35 wrote: »
    That hit me:(

It's such a shame the way the film is marketed. Look at the trailer, or just the cover of the DVD. I guess if you had read the book you would know how much "fantasy" there was, but I watched it with my young nieces based purely on the advertising! It's a really good film. Just upsetting. And not really what they promote it as.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think it was called "the burning bed" or something similar, it was about a battered wife, i was one at the time. unbelievably i watched it with my batterer who didn`t bat an eyelid.

i sobbed all the way through and i rarely cry.

edit: and it was a true story.

it was:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Burning_Bed

I remember that, Farrah Fawcett?
  • AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which film has stuck with you the most - not necessarily violent/intentionally disturbing just one that has stayed with you for a long time.

I ask because a friend of mine asked me a few days ago if I could remember watching 'When The Wind Blows' at school. I couldn't and looked it up on Youtube this morning. I feel awful now :(:o

Just curious and nosey really :D

I've never seen it - just googled it and don't think I will - it's weird how cartoons can get under your skin though - I can't watch Watership Down either!
  • Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Threads. I honestly wish I'd never seen it because it was just as bewildering as everyone says.

Also, Empire of the Sun. A great film but I won't watch it again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Creep....OK stop laughing everyone. It is said to be a terrible film but I was seriously scared watching it. I had nightmares about being locked down the tube alone in the dark over night.
    Another one that freaked me out was The Decent, it was about some women who had gone down into a cave to explore but there were horrible cannibal creatures picking them off one by one.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    francie wrote: »
    I remember that, Farrah Fawcett?

that`s the one.
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JessTheCat wrote: »
    As others have said When the Wind Blows and Threads. Especially Threads - I'll never forget that bit with the mushroom cloud and the lady wetting herself. I think what made it worse was that back then we thought it was pretty likely to happen so it was really quite unnerving.

Funny, isn't it?

We grew up during peace time.....or as close to peace time as we've really had since the end of WW2, and yet the threat of us all being wiped off the face of the planet at any moment was never far from our minds.

Hard to imagine it now, despite all the wars we're fighting.
  • psychedelicpsychedelic Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a frightening film by any means but a really haunting love story film 'The Notebook' so moving and real. Unforgettable.
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve35 wrote: »
    And you said Threads bothered you?:confused::rolleyes:
    Everyone's different, no need to roll your eyes at me. :o
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    .....The Decent....

That does sound scarey. About a thoroughly nice chap?
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    That's The Orphanage.
    That reminds me, "Orphan" anyone seen that? It was horrible and unlike some films I didn't manage to guess what was to happen until the reveal at the end.
    Also anyone else seen "The Last House on the Left," ? A bit on the gory side but all the same the suspense was virtually all the way through the film.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that`s the one.

I remember watching that not long after fleeing my ex, upsetting to watch.
  • year 1957year 1957 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    The road, there was no hope what so ever in that film.
    Forum Member
    vosne wrote: »
    That does sound scarey. About a thoroughly nice chap?

Oooops...:D I meant "The Descent"
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    Funny, isn't it?

We grew up during peace time.....or as close to peace time as we've really had since the end of WW2, and yet the threat of us all being wiped off the face of the planet at any moment was never far from our minds.

Hard to imagine it now, despite all the wars we're fighting
    For you maybe. I'm scared of it and think 'yikes' every time North Korea or Iran are mentioned. :o
  • Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm scared of it and think 'yikes' every time North Korea or Iran are mentioned. :o

Me too.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    Oooops...:D I meant "The Descent"

:D

Someone should make The Decent. Could be a meditative exercise in wringing drama out of the mundane :D
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which film has stuck with you the most - not necessarily violent/intentionally disturbing just one that has stayed with you for a long time.

I ask because a friend of mine asked me a few days ago if I could remember watching 'When The Wind Blows' at school. I couldn't and looked it up on Youtube this morning. I feel awful now :(:o

Just curious and nosey really :D
    Frequency. It's a fairly preposterous concept but I love the idea of him talking to his dead father and I have to admit to shedding a tear when he manages to save him :cry:
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For you maybe. I'm scared of it and think 'yikes' every time North Korea or Iran are mentioned. :o

Hah North Korea and Iran combined couldn't even fire a single nuke at the west. They're a long way from the very real possibility of Mutually Assured Destruction of the cold war. Thats what made Threads so disturbing
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    year 1957 wrote: »
    The road, there was no hope what so ever in that film.

Oh did they make a film of that? I read the book not long ago and how I managed not to slit my writs I'll never know. Will never ever forget it.

I think every politician in every country in the world should be forced to read that book before taking office. Let them see what could quite possibly happen one day. :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carrie because it was the first X film I had ever watched and it scared the bejesus out of me (think I was 14)it probably wouldnt even be an X if it came out now more likely a 12 or 15.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure if it's considered a film or not, but I found Scum to be quite disturbing, especially the rape scene and later the suicide of the boy who was raped.