Is the BBC upset that the new pope is not progressive?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,074
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Watching the build up to the voting on the papal elections, the BBC was asking every other guest speaker whether the new pope should be progressive?

Translated : will they support gay marriage, be allowed to wear condoms and allow women bishops?

The newly elected pope is very much entrenched in the old teachings but is very much focused on helping the poor and oppressed.

Is the BBC with its hidden agenda, likely to be upset by the result?

Comments

• gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you have to ask yourself

"how would a radical reformer ever get to be a cardinal in the first place"?
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you have to ask yourself

"how would a radical reformer ever get to be a cardinal in the first place"?

It's a bit like expecting to see a black guy on the committe to elect the new head of the KKK :D
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Watching the build up to the voting on the papal elections, the BBC was asking every other guest speaker whether the new pope should be progressive?

Translated : will they support gay marriage, be allowed to wear condoms and allow women bishops?

The newly elected pope is very much entrenched in the old teachings but is very much focused on helping the poor and oppressed.

Your translation seems to underline your own prejudice about the BBC more than the BBC's ignorance of the politics of the papacy.

I also watched much of the coverage, unlike you I clearly remember a couple of discussions of what was meant by progressive and how that was a very relative term in papal politics.

No one with any awareness at all was expecting a pope who supports gay marriage and women bishops, simply because none of the contenders for the job held those views.

Your comment doesn't lead me to question the BBC's "hidden agenda" :rolleyes:, rather it leads me to question yours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A somewhat symbiotic relationships because those teachings, particularly about contraception ensure that there will always be sufficient numbers of poor and oppressed to be grateful for the church's assistance with things like famine and AIDS sufferers etc :rolleyes:
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Will the Pope be allowed to wear condoms? I'm sure he can if he likes, it all depends on what he does after he's put it on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The world should be upset that the new Pope is not progressive. The Church does so much damage year after year with it's stance on contraception.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whip wrote: »
    The world should be upset that the new Pope is not progressive. The Church does so much damage year after year with it's stance on contraception.

Upset? Yes
    Surprized? Not at all

It's like Gem the Husky said in #2
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Is he a progressive? Is he not a progressive?

The human mind is too small to comprehend the absolutely humungous sh*t I do not give. In the modern world he is an irrelevance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is he a progressive? Is he not a progressive?

The human mind is too small to comprehend the absolutely humungous sh*t I do not give. In the modern world he is an irrelevance.

I don't count the biggest spreader of Aids in the world an irrelevance.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've no idea and nor do I care.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

What is this 'hidden agenda' and how does the result upset them because of it?
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is this 'hidden agenda' and so likely to be upset?

I think it's their new Saturday prime time talent contest...for which only Sky shareholders and people with tinfoil hats are being invited to audition for ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is this 'hidden agenda' and how does the result upset them because of it?

No hidden agenda, Aunty is openly young, gay and ethnic with a liberal-left Guardian reading cultural bias ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No hidden agenda, Aunty is openly young, gay and ethnic with a liberal-left Guardian reading cultural bias ;)

Ah you mean human, surely that means the people opposing them are close minded, old, homophobic and white with a rabid-right Daily Mail reading anti-cultural bias.
  • caz789caz789 Posts: 4,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which one?
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they will be happier when he starts speaking out about financial inequality and immoral world trade practises as he often did in Argentina. Maybe they will think that calling for a total redistribution of the worlds wealth is lefty enough for them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member

No change there; the Catholic church has preyed upon the emotionally weak and vulnerable since its inception in the 4th century.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Perhaps they will be happier when he starts speaking out about financial inequality and immoral world trade practises as he often did in Argentina. Maybe they will think that calling for a total redistribution of the worlds wealth is lefty enough for them.

It would be a start but if the Catholic stance on contraception remains the same it won't stop the death toll in South Africa.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have thought that the majority of poverty in the world is concentrated on decidedly non-Christian areas.

Maybe a few more Christians would help.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    A somewhat symbiotic relationships because those teachings, particularly about contraception ensure that there will always be sufficient numbers of poor and oppressed to be grateful for the church's assistance with things like famine and AIDS sufferers etc :rolleyes:
    Indeed. They're entwined, not separate. And it shouldn't be some sort of trade-off.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    He could, of course, do both.
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member

And what, pray tell, is the BBC's 'hidden agenda' ?
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    In DailyMailWorld, perhaps.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

The BBC should be ashamed of their translator who was so incompetent he could not translate the words of the Lord's Prayer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have thought that the majority of poverty in the world is concentrated on decidedly non-Christian areas.

Maybe a few more Christians would help.

Then you would be wrong South Africa is highly populated by Catholic missionaries.