Options

Broadchurch - ITV Drama Series (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the last episode again.

I thought the storyline was incredibly brave and in particular the guy playing Joe. No theatrics just a spineless, pathetic man. He didn't even have the balls to clear Ellie when he spoke with Mark

I really enjoyed the whole series but wondered if anyone felt a little conned that all the searching of clues and it was something we had no idea about that was the key. So all the speculation was utterly futile. Ultimately it didn't matter because the key stuff was Miller and Hardy's scenes together and they were beyond brilliant.

Oh and I really hated the beacons thing at the end. Not sure why.

Joe was a coward. He even tried to make Danny feel guilty by blaming him if they were found out.
    Agree with the clues and red herrings - far too many of them.

I would have preferred the series to end on Joe in the hut telling Alec "I'm sick of hiding." The End.

The final scene with the beacons was too saccharine. imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still here too. I thought it was some combination of Joe and Tom and then changed my mind to Mark. It was only obvious in retrospect, like so much of life!

And me. I was convinced it was psychic Steve for most of the episodes:o then Olly, and finally Joe.
  • Options
    wh1tew1newh1tew1ne Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    I didn't really post last night after it was on, but I thought it was really good. I did find the bit with Joe quite disturbing and chilling as others did, not very nice to watch. Olivia and David were brilliant I thought.

I also felt really sorry for Tom. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wish I could understand what they're saying.

David Tennant was playing a vicar in a costume drama, when I first saw him. He was very funny. (only saw part of it)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wh1tew1ne wrote: »
    I didn't really post last night after it was on, but I thought it was really good. I did find the bit with Joe quite disturbing and chilling as others did, not very nice to watch. Olivia and David were brilliant I thought.

I also felt really sorry for Tom. :(

Poor Tom, he was the most innocent in the end.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member

David Tennant was playing a vicar in a costume drama, when I first saw him. He was very funny. (only saw part of it)

I can translate, if you let me know what bits you're stuggling with :D
  • Options
    MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw Chris Chignall (?) on Daybreak this morning and my understanding of what he said was that the next Broadchurch wasn't going to be about a murder but he wouldn't say whether any of the cast would be returning so no great clues.
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still here too. I thought it was some combination of Joe and Tom and then changed my mind to Mark. It was only obvious in retrospect, like so much of life!

Not sure anyone did say that, actually.

Let's keep it that way, shall we?

I'm sorry, I seem to have offended you in some way - I was merely responding to the comment "These are generally at the end of term rather than the beginning, or at least they were in my teaching days, so it was puzzling" with my comment about sports days, but clearly I interpreted it a way you didn't mean.

As for 'let's keep it that way, shall we', that seems to be implying I was either being sarcastic with my comment about this being a lovely thread, which I wasn't at all (I thought my use of exclamation marks would show I was being friendly/humorous or whatever positive adjective you'd like to choose, but there were none attached to your final comment, so it seems you think I am in some way endangering the 'friendly' feel of this thread and should keep my thoughts to myself.

I can only apologise for both misunderstanding your theory about sports day and clearly saying something inappropriate about this thread having been a relatively friendly, helpful and tolerant place.

I will only read from now on - I don't want to inadvertently upset anyone else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Couldn't find one with subs, sorry
    Elle_Bee wrote: »

Everything.....except bollocks:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Not sure if it's been mentioned but I really like that this series and also the Village as there was no previews of the following weeks episodes. I get annoyed when the companies show so much of a new series such as the new suspicions of Mr Whichiter(sp) there was so much shown last night.
  • Options
    SmintSmint Posts: 4,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I really enjoyed. As others have commented, I liked the early reveal so you could see the fall out from it

Olivia Coleman was superb . . . but I do feel sorry for her, she lives such a miserable on-screen life. She even suffers in her comedies - Peep Show, 2012 and Rev. Please will someone give her a part where she isn't so unhappy! :D

As for earliest memories of DT, mine is in Takin' Over the Asylum - an excellent mini-series
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elle_Bee wrote: »

Thanks. I had another look and managed to work out what they were saying in the end. :eek::eek: :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just as well.:o :D
  • Options
    moondewmoondew Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smint wrote: »

As for earliest memories of DT, mine is in Takin' Over the Asylum - an excellent mini-series
    Oh that's what it was called - I remembered seeing him in something which was set in a mental ward, but couldn't recall the title of the show. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    What a brilliant finale, bravo ITV! Intense from the first minute to last.

Sad to see it go, a brilliant series throughout.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Here you go. I've put it in spoilers because it's quite long. It's not verbatim - I've changed words/phrasing to make it a bit more 'English' :p
    'I say it's a man. I say it isn't. It can't be. We'll find out. I'll be a bit sly about it, ok? What's his name again? Davina. We'll see about that.

That was lovely, most refreshing. Time for another? Rather. Hey, Davie, Dave, Davina. Yes, what can I get you boys? Same again. Good result for Celtic on Saturday, wasn't it. I wouldn't know, sorry - I'm not into rugby. Yet she has shoulders like Will Carling. Say what you like, no man could ever make me feel the way she makes me feel when she smiles at me. Please dont stand quite so close to me, (small bit I can't make out for laughter about seat of jeans). Sorry Jamesey. There you go, £2.55. Thanks very much, pint of heavy (dark beer) for yourself? Thank you, no, but I'll have a lime and soda.

Forget it lads, there's nothing between those legs but a vespre sillouette. Jamesey Cotter can sniff a bogus beaver at 20 paces. Look, here's Rab, we'll let him have the casting vote. What's to cast - Tootsie? Take it from me, the big man will take one look and say Dame Edna, what side is it hanging.

Alright boys. Alright Rab. You look a bit unhappy, what's the matter. Don't ask - women trouble, you know what I mean. Well, this will cure you. What? Nothing. Are you going to get a drink from the new barmaid? No, it's ok Jamesie, I'm just in looking for that little swine, Burnie - he's been playing truant from school and I'm just wondering where the little bugger is hanging out, you know what I mean. Yes, well there's quite a few hingoots (women of loose morals) in here. But since you're here, don't you fancy a little drink. What's the matter with you - do you have another wax ball in your ear or something - I said no, didn't I?

Afternoon, what can I get you? Oh, nothing at all darling, I'm just looking, you know? Me too, chest hair, I like to see a hairy chest. Such an enhancement to masculinity, I think. Oh thanks very much. What's your name? Davina. Oh, Davina? Oh cheers Davina.

Did you hear that, I almost complimented him on his chest hair - it goes all the way up to his Adam's apple. ..but I won't give the little bastards the satisfaction, know what I mean.

Alright Rab? Yeah. Have you met my new temporary barmaid? Yes, yes, yes. Creature of surprises, isn't she? Oh well, live and let live. Between you and me, she's saving up for the operation. Sex change. Never! Bloody hell. May as well tell them to put my name down on the list too, for all the good my penis is to me.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smint wrote: »
    Well, I really enjoyed. As others have commented, I liked the early reveal so you could see the fall out from it

Olivia Coleman was superb . . . but I do feel sorry for her, she lives such a miserable on-screen life. She even suffers in her comedies - Peep Show, 2012 and Rev. Please will someone give her a part where she isn't so unhappy! :D

I'm surprised Olivia Colman never done theatre but I imagine someone has suggested it to her.

EDIT: just realised she was in Hay Fever last year in the West End.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    So I've heard a lot about this programme. I wish I had watched it but I didn't. From all the post-show analysis today and the inevitable spoilers I know who the killer is? In your opinion would it still be worth a watch even though I guess a lot of the dramatic impact will be lost.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Joe was my favourite from the start, simply because he was the "too good to be true" character. These crime series generally follow a certain "form"..ie, the least likely suspect is often the villain of the piece.
    But then I got to thinking it might be a double bluff, or a double- double bluff. In the end, I wasn't sure at all. :)

Same!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    patch64 wrote: »
    So I've heard a lot about this programme. I wish I had watched it but I didn't. From all the post-show analysis today and the inevitable spoilers I know who the killer is? In your opinion would it still be worth a watch even though I guess a lot of the dramatic impact will be lost.

Absolutely worth a watch. I'll be watching it again.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    LOL. Chris Chibnall's got some balls going for a 40-minute denoument. Can't remember anything like that before.

Beautiful structure as well; wife interviews one suspect, husband confessing in the next interview room, Tennant moves across, wife confronts husband.

The hotel relocation, the way Joe's ID moved around the town and I guess ultimately, the symbolism of the whole community finally being able to bury the child and move on.

It was really very smart.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Just managed to catch up on the thread from last night!! Wow, I thought it was a fantastic ending, totally befitting of the show. It was never a sensationalist 'whodunnit' based purely on the identity of the murderer.

In my opinion, the main themes were:-

1. Obviously the main theme was the way such a massive and heinous event could impact on a small community and the relationships within it. Plus, the way it brings out secrets which are, in comparison to the murder, pretty insignificant but could be life-changing to the keepers!!

2. 'Sex offences'. I don't want to offend anyone and I know there has already been some 'paedoohilia' discussion. I think it was more exploring the different natures of sexual offences ranging from the very mild (most wouldn't class it as an offence) mark & Beth being 17 & 15 respectively when they had Chloe to more serious Jack Marshall & wife (jack much older and in a position of authority) to Susan wrights out & out paedophile husband to joe miller - a paedophile despite the absence of any sexual activity (as far as we are aware). Very current with operation yewtree currently being carried out.

3. The influence of media intrusion. I'm surprised they didn't go so far as to have psychic Steve phone tapping!! Also current with the leveson enquiry.

Considering Chris chibnall says he's had the idea for years its very much 'of its time'! Maybe that's why he's only now been able to sell it!!

Going back to psychic Steve (personally, I found his involvement fascinating). I've been thinking today that it wasn't properly resolved for us whether or not he's actually meant to be psychic and I've come to the conclusion that it was a very realistic portrayal of a 'psychic'. He gave some info which came to be true (the fact Danny had been in a boat - although he said Danny was alive on the boat which we now know to be incorrect-was it really such a jump as his body was found on the beach and it's very much a 'nautical' location!! Most characters had their own or easy access to a boat!!), some info which never seemed to have any authenticity to it (a relative with r or s in their name -vague- and plays piano. Meant nothing to Beth! Also, the 'someone close' comment -it was someone they knew-as most child killers are- but he wasn't so close they wouldn't have wanted to know his identity!) and then the info which was so vague you could make it fit (telling hardy 'you've been here before'-could've meant in Broadchurch before-as it turned out to. Equally, could've meant in this situation (desperate to solve the murder) before or even spiritually 'you've been here before' as in a past life. The pendant thing was in the press so irrelevant to me. In my experience, this is exactly how psychics work!! I know I've rambled on for quite a long time about something irrelevant to the reveal but it interested me throughout!!

Finally, I was driving home from tesco today and saw a rusty bike resting against a tree and my first thought was 'ooh, I wonder what the forum would make of that if it had appeared in Broadchurch'!! Such has been the appeal of the show & this thread!! Thanks all, I've enjoyed sharing it with you all! Some of the ideas were totally off the wall and I've loved it but as I said at the start I think the actual ending was totally fitting and the acting has been immense!!

Roll on series 2!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Got to wait till 2014 for series 2 :O
  • Options
    kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like most people here I really enjoyed it. Many people guessed Joe by the end of the last weeks episode but that didn't spoil the 'reveal' I was surprised some people wanted a twist - I thought it was all so horribly realistic. In the end a child died a heartbreaking, pointless death. The events leading up to it were horrifically simple and a community was torn apart. It wasn't just about 'whodunnit' and coming up with the most obscure, unimagined circumstance, it was also about the people and how everyone's secrets were brought to light throughout the investigation.

I liked how after you knew it was Joe, so many little clues that seemed perfectly innocent or inconsequential to the viewers and the characters suddenly painted a sinister picture.

- Joe loosing his job (I missed this but it's been pointed out on here that he was a paramedic and he lost his job a few months ago)
    - Keeping secrets from his wife - taking the kids paint balling, not mentioning the fight between Tom and Danny
    - Not decorating the bedroom despite having no job and months to have done it
    All these little things that pointed to more and more of his focus being on Danny.

I also thought it was quite an intelligent, subtle look at pedophilia. Joe rejects the idea that he is a pedophile and would have sexually abused Danny. Part of that is because he is aware of what people will think of him and part of it is because he doesn't even understand his own feelings towards Danny. But there is no doubt he was grooming Danny. Buying him expensive, over the top gifts, becoming more focused on Danny and letting elements of his everyday, normal life slide, asking him for hugs, emotionally blackmailing him to keep quiet etc. We don't know if Joe was simply 'testing the waters' with Danny, or if he was subconsciously rejecting the route he was clearly going down. Like Hardy said - we'll never know if Joe ever would have gone on to sexually abuse Danny or not. That's quite a brave storyline/thing to say on tv - the acknowledgment that we don't really know or understand what causes pedophilia or how to treat it, or if it even can be treated.

I also liked that the Sandbrook case remained 'unsolved'. I know a lot of posters here wanted to see it wrapped up within this storyline, but I also felt that was another quite realistic, if heartbreaking, portrayal. That not all murderers are caught or brought to justice, even if it is known who is guilty. What was more important was seeing the impact of the case on Hardy, how it influenced the was he handled THIS case, how it was an intrinsic part of his character, a man who lost everything, his marriage, his daughter, his health and his reputation but who, despite all this, we eventually come to see, is still determined to bring peace and justice to the Latimer family.

I wasn't a fan of Ellie in the first couple of episodes but I liked seeing her character become better at her job under Hardys guidance and see their growing partnership. I'm interested to see if the second series features them working together again and where it will go.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    kat180 wrote: »
    I also thought it was quite an intelligent, subtle look at pedophilia. Joe rejects the idea that he is a pedophile and would have sexually abused Danny. Part of that is because he is aware of what people will think of him and part of it is because he doesn't even understand his own feelings towards Danny. But there is no doubt he was grooming Danny. Buying him expensive, over the top gifts, becoming more focused on Danny and letting elements of his everyday, normal life slide, asking him for hugs, emotionally blackmailing him to keep quiet etc. We don't know if Joe was simply 'testing the waters' with Danny, or if he was subconsciously rejecting the route he was clearly going down. Like Hardy said - we'll never know if Joe ever would have gone on to sexually abuse Danny or not. That's quite a brave storyline/thing to say on tv - the acknowledgment that we don't really know or understand what causes pedophilia or how to treat it, or if it even can be treated.
    I thought the blackmail was Danny of Joe. I rather thought Danny was angling for another £500, or similar. So, in that scenario, the murder is actually attempted (albeit implicit) blackmail gone wrong.

I also thought Joe was just a tragic character - he knew it was a slippery slope with Danny but he couldn't stop himself, like he had no choice.

That's very much a Thomas Hardy theme.