New Superman Film :: Man of Steel

Comments

• KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    It's not rotten. You'll mostly all love watching it. Cavill is awesome as the Man of Steel; it's just a shame he does so little as Superman (its mostly blurry action scenes). I can't think he has more than a few dozen of lines as Superman.

The movie is fine, but it relies on ridiculous contrivances which jar with me.

Superman definitely has a soul, but I'm not sure the movie does.
  • JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karis wrote: »
    It's not rotten. You'll mostly all love watching it. Cavill is awesome as the Man of Steel; it's just a shame he does so little as Superman (its mostly blurry action scenes). I can't think he has more than a few dozen of lines as Superman.

The movie is fine, but it relies on ridiculous contrivances which jar with me.

Superman definitely has a soul, but I'm not sure the movie does.

So Superman is hardly in it? Or he just punches and punches his way through things and does nothing else?
    Forum Member
    JaiJai wrote: »
    So Superman is hardly in it? Or he just punches and punches his way through things and does nothing else?

Pretty much. It's about 45 mins or so (I didn't time it so I have no way of knowing) before he appears as Superman, and then he's in it a LOT, but he's mostly flying around kicking ass (in those annoyingly blurry scenes we all find are so very popular these days).

To clarify: he's in it loads, but he really doesn't say a great deal. It's mostly lots and lots and LOTS of fighting.
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much. It's about 45 mins or so (I didn't time it so I have no way of knowing) before he appears as Superman, and then he's in it a LOT, but he's mostly flying around kicking ass (in those annoyingly blurry scenes we all find are so very popular these days).

To clarify: he's in it loads, but he really doesn't say a great deal. It's mostly lots and lots and LOTS of fighting.

Could the same not also be said about Superman - The Movie though?
    Forum Member
    yaristaman wrote: »
    Could the same not also be said about Superman - The Movie though?

Errr. Nooo. Superman has hundreds of lines of dialogue. AND, he actually stands still to do stuff...

Remember: the whole interview with Lois? That was pretty lengthy and a lovely exploration of Superman's character.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Moony wrote: »
    Quite - ratings on RT dont always agree with my opinion of a movie:

For example - the last two installments of the Batman franchise got high ratings - but to me were aweful and meh! (in that order).

The latest Trek also got a high rating - but to me was a meh!

I almost agree, the 2nd batman was great thought that was a fantastic film.
    But the 3rd was meh at best, Yet the rating where massive on RT
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »
    Goes a bit too transformers towards the end, with lots of eye candy and not much else. If that's true, then a lot of movie goers won't care, they don't about transformers.

Define "care". The Transformers trilogy grossed ballpark $3bn (without checking my figures) at the worldwide box office. Dark of the Moon is the 6th highest grossing film in history.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Errr. Nooo. Superman has hundreds of lines of dialogue. AND, he actually stands still to do stuff...

Remember: the whole interview with Lois? That was pretty lengthy and a lovely exploration of Superman's character.

I was referring to the bit I put in bold
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this Superman film does not do that well then we might be finally seeing the end of this rash of teenager-level superhero films.
    Forum Member
    yaristaman wrote: »
    I was referring to the bit I put in bold

You're right. My bad! :)

But it's over an hour in the 70's Superman.

Sadly, I really did enjoy the pre-Man of Steel parts of the movie a lot more than the last half. The 'mystery' (sort of) is all really quite intriguing...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're right. My bad! :)

But it's over an hour in the 70's Superman.

Sadly, I really did enjoy the pre-Man of Steel parts of the movie a lot more than the last half. The 'mystery' (sort of) is all really quite intriguing...

To be honest, I felt the same about S-TM in a way. Loved the Smallville bits but not overly struck on some of the the later parts of the movie. I'll probably get shot down in flames for this but I felt pretty much every single scene with Luthor and his mob dragged the film down completely.
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I don't care about henry cavill, I want to watch a good summer film and mainly I want to watch it for Amy Adams.
    Forum Member
    loveloveX wrote: »
    Personally I don't care about henry cavill, I want to watch a good summer film and mainly I want to watch it for Amy Adams.

I thought she was great. Again, not nearly enough of here and she's - in many ways - almost a bit part, but she's fantastic in the scenes she's in.

I just hope the sequel gives her some actual meat to handle*.

*Story wise. Don't be filthy
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now 59% on RT and 'Rotten'

Anyway on a more positive note, fans who have seen the film seem to have the consensus that it's disappointingly good but not great (or bad), and a solid couple of hours entertainment.
    Forum Member
    So 3008 wrote: »

Anyway on a more positive note, fans who have seen the film seem to have the consensus that it's disappointingly good but not great, and a solid couple of hours entertainment.

back up to 60%

the problem from every bad review I have read is the fact that we have lost the great chris reeve playing the bumbling clark kent.
    they have all gone expecting SUPERMAN, the guy who saves cats from trees stops a bus going over a bridge or saves a train.
    What they got is a full reboot, No red pants, no jimmy olsen, no cheese.
    its time to move on for superman and the critics need to as well
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    I seen it last night. It is not a bad film at all, in fact its quite good I felt (I'd give it 7/10), but it isn't amazing on a Dark Knight scale. There are plenty of positives though, Cavill is a very good Superman and Costner and Crowe play their parts very well. Amy Adams did OK but wasn't in it a whole lot, but Michael Shannon as Zod I felt was the stand out. I really think he is one of the top actors out there at the minute.

Overall I was satisfied and it never feels too long. Lots of action to enjoy and I'd gladly watch it over again.
  • thedarklord _thedarklord _ Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if the critics genuinely think it's mediocre or if they're unfairly comparing it to Richard Donner's film. Surprised that MOS is now bordering on a 'rotten' score on RT.

I was hoping this would be the Batman Begins of this new Superman reboot but I don't seem to get this impression from the reviews I've read.

Oh well, I hate going to see films with ridiculously high expectations. I'm going to see it on Monday and I hope to be pleasantly surprised :)
    Forum Member
    Well I'm a critic and and I must be one of hundreds who didn't compare it in any way to the Donner versions. I'm not even sure why anyone would make that comparison...

I agree with So 3008 - it was disappointingly good.

Edit: It wasn't even mediocre. It was just - well - empty and devoid of substance. It did brush with greatness and there were some lovely scenes, but it's basically a 2 hours long fight...
    Forum Member

Anyway on a more positive note, fans who have seen the film seem to have the consensus that it's disappointingly good but not great (or bad), and a solid couple of hours entertainment.

Can anyone please explain to me what this fascination with RT is...?

I don't get it...
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm a critic and and I must be one of hundreds who didn't compare it in any way to the Donner versions. I'm not even sure why anyone would make that comparison...

I agree with So 3008 - it was disappointingly good.

Edit: It wasn't even mediocre. It was just - well - empty and devoid of substance. It did brush with greatness and there were some lovely scenes, but it's basically a 2 hours long fight...

disappointingly good ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Son of Jor El, I am disappoint.
    Forum Member
    disappointingly good ?

Yeah, despite all its flaws (of which there are many), I still thought it was a decent movie.

It's all down to the script really. Which is another Goyer disaster. Fortunately, the key actors redeem it.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone please explain to me what this fascination with RT is...?

I don't get it...

Because instead of trawling through all the many, many different reviews to get a general consensus on the quality of the film, RT handily collects them all and tells you what percentage of reviews were positive or negative.

It's good at seeing what the average movie-going-joe thinks of a film as well; especially in this case, where I think the viewer rating will be much higher than the critics current 61% positive.
    Forum Member
    Because instead of trawling through all the many, many different reviews to get a general consensus on the quality of the film, RT handily collects them all and tells you what percentage of reviews were positive or negative.

It's also good at comparing what the critics thought to what the average movie-going-joe thought of a film as well. Especially in this case, where I think the viewer rating will be much higher than the critics 61% positive.

Thanks for that! It's a really useful summary.

So, what's it saying about MoS? What's Fresh 66 ./ Rotten 43 saying?
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that! It's a really useful summary.

So, what's it saying about MoS? What's Fresh 66 ./ Rotten 43 saying?

anything over 60% is fresh, under rotten. right now MoS sits at 58%
    but far to many critics comparing it to the originals