Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 57)

Comments

• Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Interesting that over a million people who watched DOI couldn't be bothered to return for the results show. Another amazing rating for Countryfile.

Even Christine Bleakley seems to have been preoccupied:

https://twitter.com/clbleakley/status/427564679305908224

:D
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said on here the other day high fives, so I was close! Doesn't stop me being gutted about it, it's going to get to a point when both bbc and itv are only airing cop/ crime procedure shows. Where did the viewers go if not to selfridges, dragons den???

If this is the next ripper street I will lose all faith in the British public!

Well, while CBB is event TV and The Jump is trying to replicate that, it does seem that the Great British Public (generally the demos who use social media) prefer to watch shows they can interact with others on. CBB isn't my cup of tea, but it certainly has its appeal. The only gripe I have is that reality is cheap as chips to produce, and if that's what the viewers prefer watching at the expense of more expensive productions, then that's what we'll get more of in the future. I know I'll offend many, but I find these fly on the wall reality style shows as entertaining as circumcising a kitten. And, as the quality stuff diminishes in favour of these CBB style shows, then we'll revert back to the early noughties in terms of what is available to watch. I assume people remember the types of show ITV were showing twelve years ago? We always wondered what Maureen off Driving School was doing didn't we? We'll find out soon in Maureen Goes Shopping Live! A brand new reality series that follows Maureen around as she spends ages trying to decide what's for tea.
  • Options
    gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Amazing Rating for CBB. The best episode and it has been the best series in years including the channel four era.

I hope the Final is the most watched on Channel 5 ever, I don't want it to end it has been so amazing

Well Done Channel 5!
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Absolutely delighted with that stonking number for CBB. What a day for everyone at C5 and on the BBUK team, their hard work paying off to this extent. You'll think I'd say this anyway, but as someone who is ridiculously addicted to this series, I mean it when I say it's well deserved.

The Jump premiered very well too, albeit overshadowed slightly by C4's former powerhouse in its new home. But as nobody seemingly has a good word to say about it and it's up against the soaps tonight, I think it's going to nosedive badly and struggle through the week. That said, my prediction was overly negative in light of what Twitter was saying, which proves once and for all you can't read too much into the social media side of things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do love the grandiose nature of some posters on this thread :D

The old moniker "I loved it, so it must be good"

What entertains us is highly subjective & highly individual.

I agree. Subjective choices is what makes us individual. But for 1.5m to decide not to watch it suggests that they aren't paying attention. God, if Tenko launched today no one would watch it simply because they don't get to the PoW camp until episode 3. Yet, it achieved 20m viewers because people invested their time in a series to watch it develop and to let the characters tell the story. But nowadays, unless something is spelled out to people within the first five minutes, they don't return to see how it unfolds.

Perhaps we should all live in goldfish bowls and just watch an endless cycle of The One Show and Coronation Street.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I would imagine that CTM would not fare as well in that slot, especially if it was up against a solid ITV drama (it has many uplifting moments so workes better at 8pm). And I don't really want to see CTM being used as the sacrificial lamb in this instance.

Agreed - leave CTM well alone they have ruined many a drama by messing about with scheduling.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Agreed - leave CTM well alone they have ruined many a drama by messing about with scheduling.

And anyway, ITV would only complain that the BBC was indulging in competitive scheduling against their 9pm drama.
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    And anyway, ITV would only complain that the BBC was indulging in competitive scheduling against their 9pm drama.

Well seeing as the suggestion was advocating that, it would have been right in this hypothetical instance :)
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Musketeers 15min breakdown

Mr Selfridge ITV

Mr Selfridge ITV HD
    The Musketeers dropped across the hour last week ans ratings fell the following week. Might happen again. SuccessfulSunday 9pm dramas in Autumn and Winter should be above 6m in overnights.

Mr Selfridge isn't exactly all conquering in series 2. Needing +1 to get over 5m is poor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Well, while CBB is event TV and The Jump is trying to replicate that, it does seem that the Great British Public (generally the demos who use social media) prefer to watch shows they can interact with others on. CBB isn't my cup of tea, but it certainly has its appeal. The only gripe I have is that reality is cheap as chips to produce, and if that's what the viewers prefer watching at the expense of more expensive productions, then that's what we'll get more of in the future. I know I'll offend many, but I find these fly on the wall reality style shows as entertaining as circumcising a kitten. And, as the quality stuff diminishes in favour of these CBB style shows, then we'll revert back to the early noughties in terms of what is available to watch. I assume people remember the types of show ITV were showing twelve years ago? We always wondered what Maureen off Driving School was doing didn't we? We'll find out soon in Maureen Goes Shopping Live! A brand new reality series that follows Maureen around as she spends ages trying to decide what's for tea.

But while they dropped slightly the more expensive productions won out, with 6m+ and 5m+ respectively, verses BB's 3m+ and The Jump's 2m+ (the former of which is almost over till the summer so will soon be out of their way and the latter of which is likely to massively drop judging by some of the tweets). Reality is here to stay but it's not the moanworthy all-powerful force it was 10 years ago. It took a hit but drama is recovering, you only have to look at the recent top 10 ratings lists and the big two's big original drama campaigns to see that. Who'd have thought the big ratings battles would be between the quality dramas rather than reality shows even 5 years ago? And that reality shows would be resurrecting the reality drama docusoap format (Educating Yorkshire, The Call Centre) to compete with them?
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Subjective choices is what makes us individual. But for 1.5m to decide not to watch it suggests that they aren't paying attention. God, if Tenko launched today no one would watch it simply because they don't get to the PoW camp until episode 3. Yet, it achieved 20m viewers because people invested their time in a series to watch it develop and to let the characters tell the story. But nowadays, unless something is spelled out to people within the first five minutes, they don't return to see how it unfolds.

Perhaps we should all live in goldfish bowls and just watch an endless cycle of The One Show and Coronation Street.

Whilst I agree with your comment, people had little choice but to watch it in those days, therefore habitual viewing allows for investment in programmes.

It is, however, a new age, a new generation - and a generation that is much more used to making their own immediate choice.

Democracy eh? :D
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well seeing as the suggestion was advocating that, it would have been right in this hypothetical instance :)
    It could be argued that it would be the wrong thing from a viewer perspective though, reducing viewer choice by having two dramas on at the same time (whilst also potentially hitting the ratings of both programmes).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't really consider what was on ITV at the time I made the post. It was just a reply to someone who felt The Musketeers was more suited to an early evening slot. I just said the earliest they could show it was 8pm, but to do that I guess they could swap CTM. I did wonder if CTM would fare better at 9pm but I agree with Mossy and Yorkie that CtM is well suited in the slot it has.

Anyway, it's way too early to write The Musketeers off. It might not dip any lower. And it might get collossal timeshift figures.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I agree with your comment, people had little choice but to watch it in those days, therefore habitual viewing allows for investment in programmes.

It is, however, a new age, a new generation - and a generation that is much more used to making their own immediate choice.

Which will result in just more one off dramas than series' because we have to like something immediately.
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    Great rating for CBB last night. I was sceptical at first when they extended the series but i can see why now and it has been great. It did feel like Lee knew he was going (jacket on, no real surprise) but overall was fab show. The first CBB ep this series we've watched together as a family.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I still think the ratings for Musketeers are quite good, despite the drop.

I agree with those who feel it's a Saturday show, but it still comfortably won it's slot. Obviously if it sheds another million viewers, then maybe we could start to worry.
  • Options
    andrewskatie143andrewskatie143 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    The breakdown for the musketeers is horrible-likely to see another substantial drop next week. The breakdown for Selfridge is obviously not as bad but still worrying- it seems to have lost quite a number of viewers in the middle chunk of the hour. If it goes below 5m (which technically it has without +1), which is likely next week's not sure what ITV will do. It does indicate,though, that the drop in viewers from last year is not really due to competition from musketeers but the show itself.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    I still think the ratings for Musketeers are quite good, despite the drop.

I agree with those who feel it's a Saturday show, but it still comfortably won it's slot. Obviously if it sheds another million viewers, then maybe we could start to worry.

I have seen a few say this now - but when did we last have a show like this on a Saturday?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Which will result in just more one off dramas than series' because we have to like something immediately.
    On the other hand hopefully it'll push producers to try to impress from the start, instead of relying on the audience sticking with it a few wasted episodes till producers properly find their feet. Nothing more annoying in television than a drama getting good when it's too late and headed for cancellation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The breakdown for the musketeers is horrible-likely to see another substantial drop next week. The breakdown for Selfridge is obviously not as bad but still worrying- it seems to have lost quite a number of viewers in the middle chunk of the hour. If it goes below 5m (which technically it has without +1), which is likely next week's not sure what ITV will do. It does indicate,though, that the drop in viewers from last year is not really due to competition from musketeers but the show itself.

the basic concept of Mr Selfridge is a bit meh. He liked drink champagne and have affairs, what else??

Okay that's massively simplistic and betrays the fact I didn't watch past episode 2 of first series, but what is there to draw in the viewers?
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Friday's top 25 for Roscoe, today's is coming in a bit

ITV with HD, ratings not tape checked

Thanks for those Mike. :)

LAST NIGHT: The Musketeers lost a huge chuck of its audience. That's a big fall. Will it fall further? Mr Selfridge is post some very underwhelming numbers indeed compared to last year. It should be nearer to 6m than 5m. DOI seems to be pretty much flat week-on-week so at least it didn't drop any further in week 4. CBB seems to be on fire this series. I stopped watching BB when it moved to C5 - but from what I've heard, the Celebrity versions are head and shoulders above the C4 versions.
  • Options
    ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A generation with the attention span of a goldfish.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Looks like another drop is coming for Musketeers, it dropped across the hour last week. Starts high because of the Midwife lead in and just drops. That's not a good sign and a shame because I like it.

Mr Selfridge doesn't look strong either, the overnights were much better last year.
  • Options
    Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

From the first 15mins to the last Mr Selfridge lost around 10k, the middle drop would have been down to an ad break.

The Musketeers drop looks worse due to the CTM boost for the first 15mins.
  • Options
    DrifterDrifter Posts: 12,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone have a breakdown for Dancing on Ice's main show? Thanks muchly if so
This discussion has been closed.