Options

Fifteen to One starts again next Saturday

Comments

• Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Adam Hills was a not bad host last year - I'm looking forward to seeing the celeb version for him alone, really. The significant dumbed-downness on the other hand...!
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    Partway through the '2nd pass' and I'm bored already. I just want to know who the contestants are, then quickfire questions, no crap.

The bright flash when they get a question right is annoying as is the noise when they get a question wrong, plus the big things that are practically under their necks with how many green/red lights they have are too high and look daft to be honest, and Sandi looks daft stood there with her hands moving a tablet/iPad/whatever it is and constantly looking up and down while asking.

Allowing them to come on for 3 shows is daft, should be 1 show and that's it.

The way the score changes in the final looks stupid. Don't need it to spin round while it changes.

Too much fluff between questions, Sandi talks far too slow, and I don't want facts about a right or wrong answer, just want it to be a case of "correct" or "incorrect" and move on.

Overall, I'm barely half way through and I already see very very little reason to bother with any further episodes. Long and short of it, to put it politely, is I think it's a complete pile of trash (if I said what I really thought, I'd probably be banned).
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to me that the questions fall into two camps - extremely easy and virtually impossible to answer. Since sandi is using a tablet rather than a set of cards, it makes me wonder whether someone is deciding whether or not they want to keep the next contestant in, and picking suitable questions.

I also suspect there's quite a lot of waffle which is taken out to adjust the timing. Of course, it could be a coincidence that the last elimination takes palce just before the end of the programme.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    It seems to me that the questions fall into two camps - extremely easy and virtually impossible to answer. Since sandi is using a tablet rather than a set of cards, it makes me wonder whether someone is deciding whether or not they want to keep the next contestant in, and picking suitable questions.

I also suspect there's quite a lot of waffle which is taken out to adjust the timing. Of course, it could be a coincidence that the last elimination takes palce just before the end of the programme.

I recall Mr Stewart delivering an impromptu speech about his views on the Elgin Marbles to fill in time at the end of a show. I wonder if Miss Toksvig will do something similar.
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have nothing against Sandi Toksvig,but I still bailed out after
    about ten minutes.Just seemed stilted and forced somehow,
    without the natural flow it used to have.Never mind,at least
    they tried!
  • Options
    BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sandi Toksvig was better than Id thought and the quiz itself does generally require more knowledge than the dumbed down daytime stuff were used to nowadays. But I agree it was very stilted and way too long. The previous format was fine.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly the saddest thing about this malformed mutation is that it will greatly reduce the chances of any revival of the true Fifteen to One in the future.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Possibly the saddest thing about this malformed mutation is that it will greatly reduce the chances of any revival of the true Fifteen to One in the future.

Excellent description.......:D
  • Options
    AerrowAerrow Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    This show used to require 1/48th of your day, whereas now it's asking for 1/24th, which seems unreasonable given that you're not getting anything extra. In addition, it has been moved to a 4.30-5.30 slot which strikes me as awkward.

The wicket cries out for the military medium pace of William G. Stewart, not the slow and aimless spin of Sandi Toksvig. The personalities of the players were previously revealed in the way they played the game and in the way they responded to success and failure. Gratuitous chatter is unnecessary.

Its saving grace might still be the quality of the questions, which, though at times difficult - are invariably things that you suspect you really should know if you want to win a competition such as 15-1, and apart from some silly 'year' questions (really, who cares which year in the mid-90s Oasis battled it out with Blur) and the inevitable marginal shift towards popular culture they struck a good balance.

Will probably have to watch them on Channel 4's catch-up player though.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    After all my comments I forgot it was on and missed it, lol
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Excellent description.......:D
    I can't imagine that anyone involved with this show (Including Ms T - Hi!) is not following this thread* to see what the audience reaction is.

I expect they, too, are having a good giggle at that description. The show does need a lot more pace, but it's better than I was anticipating.

* Much like David Bodycombe and the Only Connect thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know what ratings it got?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After all my comments I forgot it was on and missed it, lol
    On previous form, that shouldn't stop you reviewing it though. :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    On previous form, that shouldn't stop you reviewing it though. :D:D

Haha. Well I'll try and sit through it later in the week.

Just reading the Twitter response though and it's overwhelmingly negative. The basic complaint is that it is just too slow with too much chat. Let's face it. We all knew it was going to be s**t, and so it is.
  • Options
    Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know what ratings it got?

Irrelevant. People will give the first programme a try.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mrs Mills wrote: »
    Irrelevant. People will give the first programme a try.

Agreed, but I'd still like to plot its decline over the coming weeks.
  • Options
    Wise BadgerWise Badger Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Sandi Toksvig was good
  • Options
    zackai48zackai48 Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The formula is much like it was in its heyday, but it is so slow. I will record it in the future and skip through the waffle.
  • Options
    stewartuustewartuu Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    This got 1.6million viewers, apparently. I will be amazed if they're pulling in half that after a week's episodes.

A shame, because it would be fine if it wasn't so blinkin' slow.
  • Options
    TheDevil666TheDevil666 Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it ain't broke don't fix it - so why mess around with the format of, in my opinion, the greatest TV quiz show ever to be made?

It seems to be targeted at the sort of people who don't have an attention span of longer than two minutes, and there's far too much aimless chatter which slows the game right down.

This will be one to watch on demand or via recording then. A shame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually missed the first fifteen minutes of Saturday's show (I only spotted it was on by accident). At the start of the show does she chat with each contestant? If so, how long does that take?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked it! Appreciated an explanation to wrong answers, and thought Sandi a great host. Obviously not keen on the amount of ads, so in future will record and not watch on catch up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ancient IDTV,
    No, she doesn't chat with every contestant. About 4 of them if memory serves. Didn't take long, and could certainly be dropped. All in all, though, I really enjoyed the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers. Glad to hear that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phasenine wrote: »
    Ancient IDTV,
    No, she doesn't chat with every contestant. About 4 of them if memory serves. Didn't take long, and could certainly be dropped. All in all, though, I really enjoyed the show.
    I did have a horrible thought at the beginning that she was going to go along all 15 contestants!