Is the phrase, "pay peanuts, get monkeys" racist

Comments

• oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But someone may be offended as they have a peanut allergy. So best go with:

"Pay the P word; get the M word".

At least it will keep them busy trying to work out what, the H word, you are on about.

:D

Now, now...are you being the R word, with that kind of talk?
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hackjo wrote: »
    Free the wasps!

Isn't WASP both racist AND religionist (or whatever the word is).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're going to write a letter of complaint you're better off not using lame arse cliches like that to make your point. It shows a lack of imagination.

Would that be one of those C-word things?
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find this phrase offensive to Peanuts
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're going to write a letter of complaint you're better off not using lame arse cliches like that to make your point. It shows a lack of imagination.

Well yes, there is that. It's probably best to keep letters of complaint straight and simple. Implying that their staff are monkeys is bound to get their backs up unnecessarily.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed. Dear OP, hardly the most intelligent way to take up a grievance. Try explaining what in your view went wrong and then, explain what steps you would like the company to take to rectify matters.
    Cheap name calling might let some steam off, but it's unlikely to help much. Regardless of how miffed you are, at least allow them to try to correct the problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find this phrase offensive to Peanuts

Rally to the Peanut, the Mighty Peanut, I say. Its dignity must be defended. Rise up! Rise up for Peanuts, aye!
  • JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Monkeys aren't a species.

"Species" means a breed, kind, class or type etc. as there are for e.g, a species of cat, bear,... anything that belongs to the same order or family but are of a different type etc. The same applies to monkeys.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it is but I'm about to email a company with a complaint and include this phrase, but don't want to get into trouble
    I don't think it's racist but if you're trying to get some kind of compensation or help from the company I don't think you should use that phrase.

It is usually best to avoid personal antagonism when complaining to a company. Remember that 'the company' is not an individual. It's dozens, maybe hundreds of people and most of them are just doing a job. All you'll do by throwing insults around is annoy the person reading your email and annoying someone is not the best way to get them to help you.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it is but I'm about to email a company with a complaint and include this phrase, but don't want to get into trouble

As others have said the phrase is not the best to use in a complaint and nothing to do with it being racist as it isn't but I am sure you can word the complaint without mentioning salary because salary should not come into how customers are dealt with and do you know the employee who has uspet you is badly paid ?
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

I'm sure McDonalds have heard it many times before so carry on.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its very monkeyist. The MLA (Monkey Liberation Army) may come and find you!!!!
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    Its very monkeyist. The MLA (Monkey Liberation Army) may come and find you!!!!

Pah! Bloody Monkey Liberation Army.

Simian Defence League all the way!
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Context OP context.

Sometimes the word monkey can be used as a racial slur. This isn't one of them.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    oulandy wrote: »
    Now, now...are you being the R word, with that kind of talk?

Religious? :o

How very dare you!

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Religious? :o

How very dare you!

Heh. I hadn't thought of that one. No chance, in your case!
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry I'm not a master in letter writing

Don't forget to also include "ignore the monkey and go straight to the organ grinder". I'd also start your letter of complaint with something reflecting the outrage you must be feeling, something maybe like "You maniacs, ah damm you, God damm you all to hell."
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    If I were the recipient of that letter, and had a nut allergy, I'd certainly find it offensive and dismiss your complaint.

Change it to, "if you pay the minimum wage, you get Romanians", and don't forget to use green ink.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Monkeys aren't a species.
    Jocolah wrote: »
    "Species" means a breed, kind, class or type etc. as there are for e.g, a species of cat, bear,... anything that belongs to the same order or family but are of a different type etc. The same applies to monkeys.

Monkey
    A monkey is a primate of the Haplorrhini suborder and simian infraorder, either an Old World monkey or a New World monkey, but excluding apes and humans.[1] By this definition, the most common in biology, the monkeys are the group of all primates that are non tarsiers, lemurs, apes or humans and consist of about 260 known living species.

So no, monkeys are not a species rather a suborder consisting of multiple species of primate.

Marmosets, tamarins, howlers and spider are all species, or type, of monkey.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only if monkeys are a race.
    Which they're not.
    So....no.
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like monkeys. I wish I had more peanuts so I could buy a few. I used to have sea monkeys, they were great. They lived in a little underwater castle and they used to wave their webbed hands at me before Papa Sea Monkey drove his underwater car to the factory where he worked. Then I got bored one day and flushed them down the loo.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would be racist would be writing : " if you pay poor wages you will attract [ enter minority immigrant community known to work for minimal renumeration ] ".
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't WASP both racist AND religionist (or whatever the word is).

And colourist.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I always thought that the phrase meant that if you pay rubbish wages you get stupid people working for you.