Advise regarding family situation

2»

Comments

• Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1965Wolf wrote: »
    Lasting powers of attorney are not straightforward.
    They can be straightforward - there is also good, clear, detailed help available with the forms to help with completion by anyone with who can read and write and has a logical brain. However, in the OP's situation where there is (what sounds like) an aggrieved sister on the sidelines, it's likely to be better that a solicitor is involved. Then the sister cannot come back with any accusations of bias against the OP as a solicitor will have been involved with the process.

Caras, sorry you've got to manage your sister as well as your mother but ensure that you are named on both of the LPAs - sometimes one relative may be named on one document and the other relative named on the other, thus splitting the responsibilities. In your circumstances, you need to be on both - along with your sister if that is what your mother wants and she agrees.

Also remember that LPAs are registered with the Office of the Public Guardian but they are not 'live' - active - until the person they concern becomes unable to make decisions for themselves. Completing the paperwork now does not prevent your mother revoking the LPAs if she changes her mind in the future while she is still competent to make such decisions. In other words, she's not permanently signing her rights over her own life as of now.

And if you do convert your garage, insulate insulate insulate! and ensure good ventilation. :)
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    I'd have thought it highly questionable that putting a wet room in your garage will add value to your house, it quite possibly will devalue it, it will at the very least put some potential buyers off if you came to sell. I think if your mother has the means it wouldn't be unreasonable for you to accept all the cost of the modifications made on her behalf from your mother.

I think this too, and a quick call to an estate agent would clarify this.

Ps your sister sounds like a cow :blush:
  • Options
    1965Wolf1965Wolf Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    Highly dangerous,---I see,---- what is lowly dangerous?---see I can play with meanings to.

Nothing makes me think a non-lawyer can do a trained lawyers job,---but trained lawyers make mistakes to, don't they?

( And with a hands on approach only and assuming you have a few grey cells I know I could have you or anyone for that matter, installing a wiring circuit with in a day, safely ).

But the forms in question are designed with the public in mind and as DIY.

And if you read or in anyway mis-understood what I wrote in this thread----you are not a solicitor or a lawyer are you? ( is that what you are letting us know? ), as you are banging on about making mistakes, you can't even understand and /or assimilate the contents of a post correctly.

TBH a lot of us know or have heard of lawyers/solicitors making mistakes that have led to expensive to put right court procedures or their clients out of pocket.

You may argue, there is come back in such events,---maybe---but little good that knowledge is at the Court's doors or the when the will is being read.

I think the OP understood what I was writing and is happy to go with a solicitor as she doesn't trust her self to DIY and/or their circumstances might be quite detailed.

Now if I understood this to be so,
    I'm not a trained lawyer.

Oh dear oh dear!. I am not sure what it is I am supposed to have misunderstood. I was merely telling you my view, that LPAs are not to be taken lightly and people do their own at their peril. And I assure you that, even with your guidance, there is no way I could do any electrical work.

The Government may well be aiming for people doing these things themselves, but that doesn't mean it is a good idea.
  • Options
    1965Wolf1965Wolf Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    They can be straightforward - there is also good, clear, detailed help available with the forms to help with completion by anyone with who can read and write and has a logical brain. However, in the OP's situation where there is (what sounds like) an aggrieved sister on the sidelines, it's likely to be better that a solicitor is involved. Then the sister cannot come back with any accusations of bias against the OP as a solicitor will have been involved with the process.

Caras, sorry you've got to manage your sister as well as your mother but ensure that you are named on both of the LPAs - sometimes one relative may be named on one document and the other relative named on the other, thus splitting the responsibilities. In your circumstances, you need to be on both - along with your sister if that is what your mother wants and she agrees.

Also remember that LPAs are registered with the Office of the Public Guardian but they are not 'live' - active - until the person they concern becomes unable to make decisions for themselves. Completing the paperwork now does not prevent your mother revoking the LPAs if she changes her mind in the future while she is still competent to make such decisions. In other words, she's not permanently signing her rights over her own life as of now.

And if you do convert your garage, insulate insulate insulate! and ensure good ventilation. :)

This post goes some way to proving my point. A property and financial affairs LPA can certainly be used even if the person who made it is compos mentis. It is only a Health and Welfare LPA that is unusable if the donor has mental capacity to make the decision in question. Such a basic misunderstanding on your part should tell you that LPAs are not straightforward.

Also, a DIY LPA is problematic when it comes to choice of certificate provider, the person concerned is putting his/her neck on the chopping block on the question of mental capacity.