Chris Moyles this morning - 22/09/2010

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 800
Forum Member
✭✭
Chris was 5 mins late this morning but was in a stinking mood when he arrived.

He went off on a rant about not being paid for the last 2 months and even suggested what the BBC would do if he didnt turn up until he'd been paid.

Fascinating to hear, in particular the level of honesty (in fact, I think he shocked the rest of the team).

As usual it prompted quite a lot of negative text's.

His point was that he should get paid for what he does, regardless of how much he gets paid.

I agree completely - but its hard to feel sorry for someone who can wait for 2 months before making an issue of it.

Comments

• 3dom3dom Posts: 1,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They didn't play any music for 3/4 of an hour just talking only from the beginning of the show.

Come on BBC pay your wages bill.
  • wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surprised this hasn't created more posts..........

joey will be doing cartwheels, when moyles said to listeners who were slagging him off by text......." go and listen to heart":eek:
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    3dom wrote: »
    They didn't play any music for 3/4 of an hour just talking only from the beginning of the show.

They do that every morning, pretty much.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    There is a report here - http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/sep/22/chris-moyles-rant-radio-1

I think Chris's outburst at the texter is a bit out of order, as its what a lot of other listeners would have been thinking!
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    I normally stick up for Moyles but this was out of order.

No presenter should think they're bigger than the station they work for.

No presenter should think their problems are bigger or more important than everyone else

No presenter should abuse their position to have a go at a particular department, especially in broadcasting.

As for ranting back at the texter .... this went way above the usual level of sarcasm and humour you'd expect from Moyles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In complete defense of Chris, the situation is compounded by the fact he feels lousy with this cold and has just gone through a very painful breakup. Everything seems worse in these circumstances.

Regardless of his salary, it's completely unacceptable for a business to not pay their employees. It's a breach of contract. Perhaps Chris went a bit OTT on air, but see my above paragraph.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    I think he was totally justified in his rant, there is no difference in a supermarket market worker or an office worker not being paid for months, regardless if you are paid £12000 a year or £1000000 a year , its the principle of the matter and if he can use the privilaige of his position to make the BBC bosses listen to resolve the issue, good luck to you Moyles:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No presenter should think their problems are bigger or more important than everyone else

No presenter should abuse their position to have a go at a particular department, especially in broadcasting.

As for ranting back at the texter .... this went way above the usual level of sarcasm and humour you'd expect from Moyles.

agree 100%

can you imagine anyone on a commercial station doing this?
    the plug would have been pulled pretty rapidly, and said person would never have got a gig again!
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    I'm with the virtuousdream on this one, but would add that with Moyles one of the things you tune in for is that you're not getting some chirpy unhuman DJ waking you up with a fake smile and a sub-Atlantic voice, you're getting a real person. Ok, it's an act to some degree, but he lets you into his life far more than any other DJ. Most times it works as a real-life soap opera, occasionally (especially when circumstances are more than fraught) it can turn ugly. But it's always far more interesting than a supply DJ telling you you're listening to "More of the songs you love" while doing some lame wind-up.

As a one-off I wouldn't be too concerned, but if it was to become regular it would remind me of the last days of Chris Evans' breakfast show on Radio 1. He is in a fairly horrible situation as the show is really based on his life, and he's just gone through a massive setback.

As a footnote though, I agree with one of the posts on The Guardian website. Media companies can be an absolute nightmare at paying freelance staff - hell, I've been responsible for mistakes in the past myself. And it's incredibly frustrating.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    Mu Mu wrote: »
    I think he was totally justified in his rant, there is no difference in a supermarket market worker or an office worker not being paid for months, regardless if you are paid £12000 a year or £1000000 a year , its the principle of the matter and if he can use the privilaige of his position to make the BBC bosses listen to resolve the issue, good luck to you Moyles:D

We don't actually know the BBC's side of things though yet - maybe there were still a couple of contractual things that needed to be sorted out?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

yes, but i doubt the supermarket worker would whinge to every customer about his predicament.

theres a time and a place for sensitive issues, especially finance.
  • BangersBangers Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listened to the first 20 minutes of his show on iPlayer to see what the fuss was about. Storm in a tea-cup is all I can say really. It wasn't exactly a DLT moment.

Having said that, if I was a producer for Heart I might want to make a recording of Moyles telling people they could listen to Heart if they want.
  • tv.marktv.mark Posts: 1,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would assume that if he was paid at the end of July, only his August payment is late. Therefore it's only 3 weeks he's not been paid for. On his salary I would like to think he could cope with a 3 week delay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    We don't actually know the BBC's side of things though yet - maybe there were still a couple of contractual things that needed to be sorted out?

Will be intresting to see what the BBC make of it, would he get his knuckles rapped for it? :confused:
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And no employee should verbally abuse another employee in public, no matter how upset, aggrieved or annoyed that person might feel, or how valid his case might be:
    "It's to do with our new contracts. Some dope, I pretty much know who's responsible in this building. I even know the name of the moronic div.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11391959
  • MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3dom wrote: »

The BBC has perhaps overspent their budget on Chris Evans and his news-readers! ;)
  • ChelmsfordDudeChelmsfordDude Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    My co-worker listens to Radio 2 where I work. I always try and see whether I can listen to 1 since I'm not a 2 fan. Y did I not ask this morning!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is the principle, people on higher wages have higher mortgages so of course it matters.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member

What about the principle that the guy could probably quite easily go for a few weeks without the cash? Or the fact that paylsip cockups happen all the time to people in the real world? Or maybe he was just "connecting" with his audience?
  • The SnakesThe Snakes Posts: 8,940
    Forum Member
    He should be sacked. He's disgusting, a fat waste of space. Why he is employed by the BBC is beyond me. The founding fathers of the corporation would be spinning in their graves.
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im kinda hoping they sack him i mean he cant get up in the morning and sit on his fat bum and he worries about his money after all he has already earnt more than all of us will earn in a lifetime grow up moyles and BBC get rid of this idiot.Ok he has not been payed but come on chris grow up and get a life!!!
  • ChelmsfordDudeChelmsfordDude Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    What about the principle that the guy could probably quite easily go for a few weeks without the cash? Or the fact that paylsip cockups happen all the time to people in the real world? Or maybe he was just "connecting" with his audience?

My friend and her brother listen to him, and they said their going to change the channel. He's made himself sound like a bigger **** that he already is, and he's greedy. Fingers crossed he gets fired!
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But none of us know what his money situation is like. He may have an expensive mortgage to pay off or other commits. Doesn't matter how much he earns, going for nearly 2 months without pay can affect even the best of them.

From the sounds of things it's not some "cockup" but instead an on-going issue around his contract.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Snakes wrote: »
    He should be sacked. He's disgusting, a fat waste of space. Why he is employed by the BBC is beyond me. The founding fathers of the corporation would be spinning in their graves.

Because he has over 8 million daily listeners and that number hasn't changed too much since he took the breakfast role. That is why the BBC hire him ;)