What has happened to Natasha Bedingfield?

_Venger__Venger_ Posts: 3,223
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was watching the music channels earlier and the video for "These Words" came on (loved that song)

Is Natasha still signed?

Comments

• PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    Her follow-up albums were awful, that's what.
  • _Venger__Venger_ Posts: 3,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    Her follow-up albums were awful, that's what.

I cant remember much from her other than "These Words"

Does brother Daniel still record too?
  • SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    She did a song called Easy with Rascal Flatts (very big pop country pop group in the USA) on their latest album Nothing Like this.... so maybe she has given up on the UK for now

http://smashyaoutofthegame.blogspot.com/2010/11/rascal-flatts-talk-about-duet-with.html
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    She did a 'Craig David' - got seduced by a bit of Stateside success and burned her bridges in the UK. IIRC she actually cancelled a UK tour quite close to its start date and brazenly admitted it was because of her escalating success in the States so she wished to stay there instead of gracing her UK fans with her presence. Then it all went a bit sour in the US and now she really has nowhere to go.

But fear not we have a new pretender taking on the mantle of fake urban chick - Jessie J :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    She did a 'Craig David' - got seduced by a bit of Stateside success and burned her bridges in the UK. IIRC she actually cancelled a UK tour quite close to its start date and brazenly admitted it was because of her escalating success in the States so she wished to stay there instead of gracing her UK fans with her presence. Then it all went a bit sour in the US and now she really has nowhere to go.

Interesting thanks

She has a great voice
    Forum Member
    _Venger_ wrote: »
    Interesting thanks

She has a great voice

Here it is - albeit wrapped up in a bit of industry PR speak.
    UK TOUR DATES CANCELLED
    24/01/2008
    It is with the greatest of regret that Natasha Bedingfield has had to cancel her forthcoming UK tour. This is through no fault of Natasha herself, but due to her US Label insisting that she remains in US until further notice to promote the release of her album, Pocketful of Sunshine there. All tickets for the UK tour will be reimbursed. Please contact your ticket vendor for further details.

Natasha is very disappointed to be missing the opportunity to perform live in the UK, and has insisted that she make a short trip to the UK in the Spring for a number of intimate free acoustic gigs. More info will follow on this from Natasha herself direct.

http://www.sonymusic.co.uk/news/8321/880/

It's even worse than I thought.
    On 18 January 2008, Bedingfield's UK tour was cancelled for the second time, one month before it was supposed to start, so she could spend more time promoting her album in the U.S

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natasha_Bedingfield
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here it is - albeit wrapped up in a bit of industry PR speak.

http://www.sonymusic.co.uk/news/8321/880/

She majorly boo booed there
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,998
    Forum Member
    I saw the video for Unwritten the other day and wondered the same thing.
  • GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I used to be completely obsessed with her :o I was 12 or 13 when the Unwritten album came out and I played it to death!

She had a new album out. I'm not sure if it was even released in America yet.. I doubt she'll relaunch herself over here, after what the other posters said. Strip Me, it was called. I heard the lead single Touch and I thought it was awful.
  • Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But fear not we have a new pretender taking on the mantle of fake urban chick - Jessie J :rolleyes:

You're thinking on the same lines as me (for a change :o:D).
    Was going to say - She morphed into Jessie J :p

update
    just googled both names together & came up with this

Jessie J vs Natasha Bedingfield :o:p

Here is the link the took down to stop people comparing the two me thinks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3YLpl2cxuc
    compared to the Jessie J song
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxX-QOV9tI
    Forum Member
    You're thinking on the same lines as me (for a change :o:D).
    Was going to say - She morphed into Jessie J :p

<konebyvax picks himself off floor> :eek: See, we can agree on something! :D
  • ValereValere Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's how I remember it too. I also remember that she came across as a right snotty little cow about it. I think if she'd been a bit more savvy and played the media game of pretending to be humble people would not have been so quick to turn their backs on her. She was her own undoing in the end, ultimately.

Holly Valance suffered from a similar fall when she slagged off the UK and everything about it. She's got to be the biggest, most unlikable, rude, ungrateful bitch who has EVER graced the British charts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    I loved the unwritten album!

I also like pocketfull of sunshine the song, it was in some movie I was watching yesterday. She is also on Nicki Minaj's album on a song called Last Chance which is pretty good.

ps I Wanna Have Your Babies :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 201
    Forum Member

She had a new album out. I'm not sure if it was even released in America yet.. I doubt she'll relaunch herself over here, after what the other posters said. Strip Me, it was called.

It was released on december last year and it reached number 103 on the US Billboard, compared to 'Pocketful Of Sunshine' which reached number 3.

I heard the lead single Touch and I thought it was awful. .

I've also heard it and i agree on it being awful. She also released 'Strip me' but because ryan tedder co-wrote and produced it, it sounds like all the others he's done before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member

yes ,all that
    and she was a superhumanly awful singer/song writer
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uhhhh I absolutely LOATHED her voice and songs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her follow-ups after Single and These Words has been quite awful. I didn't like Unwritten that much, but I did like I Bruise Easily. Her subsequent albums were very disappointing and had no magic that she once had. She is even doing terribly in the US now. The album Strip Me tanked (I don't think people remembered it being released at all) and her Less Is More tour in 2011 tanked also, as a reviewer from one of the shows described how empty the "modest-sized theatre" was. Oh dear.

Link (article): http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles/2011/06/09/simplicity_is_perfect_partner_for_bedingfield/
    It’s the curious economics of pop music: A singer can have a number of huge, ubiquitous radio hits and still struggle to fill a modest theater. That’s the situation that Natasha Bedingfield faced last night at the Somerville Theatre at the start of her Less Is More Tour. Considering the number of empty seats, the name seemed to take on a grim irony.

(in article picture caption)
    Despite many empty seats for last night’s Somerville Theatre show, she delivered a strong performance.

Her brother, Daniel, was recently one of the judges for X Factor in New Zealand.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I Bruise Easily" is still one of the best pop songs i've ever heard ..
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked a few of her songs and she has a good voice, the last time I heard from her though was a couple years ago because she performed Unwritten with Leona Lewis, who I am a fan of.

Reading this thread though, its not hard to see why her career didn't last long if that is the way she treated her UK fan base.
  • Mr. ChipsMr. Chips Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pocket Full of Sunshine was featured in the film Easy A - I love that scene!
  • unknown17unknown17 Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved her music to begin with but then she turned into one of those 'I want to crack America types' and became completely awful just like all British artists who try and make it big in America.

It's a good job she isn't big these days as you can guarantee she would work with the likes of Guetta, Will.i.am and Pitbull and make a horrid track that Capital would play on non-stop:rolleyes:
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natasha did the same thing as Joss Stone, which was to piss off the people who first bought her records, with the negative backlash resulting in no decent producers wanting to work with her. It doesn't matter how good a vocalist you are if you don't have the backing.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ninja'd :). I was just going to say Joss Stone is another one who comes to mind.

Thank god Adele won't fall into that trap (I hope).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to have her debut album Unwritten but I got rid of it ages ago... I can't see her ever becoming successful as she once was again

I'm sure you can pick up her debut Unwritten, as well as her follow-up albums for change of a couple of quid in the majority of charity shops :L
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to have her debut album Unwritten but I got rid of it ages ago... I can't see her ever becoming successful as she once was again

I'm sure you can pick up her debut Unwritten, as well as her follow-up albums for change of a couple of quid in the majority of charity shops :L

Do you get paid for promoting charity shop music!?:D