Options

Brain Doctors

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its far more important and you need a very special talent to be a neurosurgeon .Rocket science we can all live without , a functioning brain is far more useful .
    I am guessing you are trying to be funny but thought I would set you straight anyway

Correct . 16 years of training .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're really enjoying these programmes. These surgeons are amazing. That guy Jay is very charismatic!

We were just saying the same thing and what a lovely bloke he is as well.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're really enjoying these programmes. These surgeons are amazing. That guy Jay is very charismatic!

What was the previous documentary series he was in?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too. I really like Jay. Thank goodness there are people like him.
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    I love this programme and the staff are amazing .But I am still in total shock that the parents of the baby with spina bifida were offered a termination at 30 weeks .What is the difference between a termination at 30 weeks and killing a newborn ? I am gobsmacked, a 30 weeker is a fully formed viable and beautifulll baby . I have nursed so many at the age and they are little people .So glad they chose to have the baby and well done to them
    Thrilled for Rajs parents too, what a dilemma to be in .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    boksbox wrote: »
    What was the previous documentary series he was in?

I have seen him before too .Was it the documentary on Great Ormond Street ?
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fascinating programme and I agree that Jay comes across very nice and well adjusted.
  • Options
    Barbsm@wanadoo.Barbsm@wanadoo. Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was in another documentary 2 years ago about Cranio facial surgery in the same hospital.
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fiona72 wrote: »
    These surgeons are like gods in my eyes!!!
    I think so too, the have my total respect.

I love this programme and the staff are amazing .But I am still in total shock that the parents of the baby with spina bifida were offered a termination at 30 weeks .What is the difference between a termination at 30 weeks and killing a newborn ? I am gobsmacked, a 30 weeker is a fully formed viable and beautifulll baby . I have nursed so many at the age and they are little people .So glad they chose to have the baby and well done to them
    Thrilled for Rajs parents too, what a dilemma to be in .

I agree with all you have said, gosh, how awful for all the parents concerned in the programme. Poor Jack too, what a terrible time they go through.
    I'm sure the parents were comforted knowing how safe their child was in Jay's hands.
    All the staff should and must feel immensely proud of themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I preferred the Channel 5 programme, it seemed to focus on the patients more.

Got that program /series recorded . Is therea thread for it ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I think I might have been a bit harsh about this programme last week. I thought last night's was much better. Really felt for the families involved.

Alexis07 the channel 5 one did get mentioned when it first started but I don't think many people on here watched it so the thread has sunk without much of a trace. It's excellent but be warned you will probably end up in tears. Some of the stories are heart-breaking!
  • Options
    Kayjay2405Kayjay2405 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the programme last night was excellent, I have so much admiration for the doctors who have to deal with the parents and patients in very difficult circumstances. My heart went out to Raj's parents, I don't know if I could have made the decision they did. The outcome could have been so much worse than it was. I had mixed feelings about Jack, his mother loved him to bits, that goes without saying, but I'm not sure it's right to keep someone alive by numerous repeated operations, he didn't look a happy boy at any time other than stuck in front of Thomas Tank :( But I remember feeling the same about the Great Ormand Street programme with a baby that had never come off life support and spent her entire life in hospital, whether we should keep people alive who might never have any decent quality of life. I guess nobody knows what they'd do until they are in the same circumstances and I would never judge anyone. But that's what makes it fascinating viewing for me, the ethics and decision making that the drs and parents come to.
  • Options
    McCollMcColl Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Kayjay2405 Those quality of life issues are what got to us too, and like you, we agreed that it's impossible to judge unless you're in the same position.
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've just watched the Channel 5 programmes and really enjoyed them. Tragic that the poor guy with all the tumours in his brain died. Mrs TB was very upset, when they got married and I had to blow my nose.

I so hope Karan is ok, what a lovely brave lady. Feel really sorry for the older guy who has the malignant tumour, another really brave soul.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've just watched the Channel 5 programmes and really enjoyed them. Tragic that the poor guy with all the tumours in his brain died. Mrs TB was very upset, when they got married and I had to blow my nose.

I so hope Karan is ok, what a lovely brave lady. Feel really sorry for the older guy who has the malignant tumour, another really brave soul.

Me too, as with all of them, I was really hoping that his tumour would be non-malignant.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did start to wonder if the programme makers were trying to pitch Mr Jayamohan as a bit..."Ooh, he's a bit of a meanie and arrogant but look at the things he can do" with the section of him being asked what he was like as a boss to his students, but he clearly was just a really nice bloke who's pretty damn good at an extremely difficult job.

With regards to the couple who chose to continue their pregnancy, I personally feel that was a bad decision on their part. The hospital gave them all the info they needed and were effectively offering them a lifeline, but with three kids already, they have just turned the screw on themselves a huge amount. It was good to know however that there is the legal option to terminate so far into a pregnancy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    I did start to wonder if the programme makers were trying to pitch Mr Jayamohan as a bit..."Ooh, he's a bit of a meanie and arrogant but look at the things he can do" with the section of him being asked what he was like as a boss to his students, but he clearly was just a really nice bloke who's pretty damn good at an extremely difficult job.

With regards to the couple who chose to continue their pregnancy, I personally feel that was a bad decision on their part. The hospital gave them all the info they needed and were effectively offering them a lifeline, but with three kids already, they have just turned the screw on themselves a huge amount. It was good to know however that there is the legal option to terminate so far into a pregnancy.
    It shocked me to the core that it was an option at 30 weeks gestation . I have nursed babies born at 30 weeks and they are babies to be loved and cared for and are small human beings .The have personality and are fully formed and feel pain and love and comfort just like you or I .IMO at 30 weeks its not termination .It something else entirely .
    The baby with spina bifida was a beautiful baby boy with a flaw , we all have flaws in one way or another .I cant even imagine giving him a lethal injection after he was born so cant see the difference at all before birth .He was the same baby pre and post birth , a beautiful and well loved baby boy .
    Could they justify it had he been born early at 28 weeks to give him a lethal injection after birth ? Yet at 30 weeks they were given that option simply because he was s still inside a womb ? It baffles me , it really does .
    Termination and abortion is a choice for people and I am not here to judge BUT 30 weeks is not abortion IMO , its far far too late
    I have to greatest of admiration for those parents who loved their baby and were willing to give him all care and a chance . Well done to them .