Options

Parental relationship

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
Forum Member
How is your relationship with your mother?
Do you love her unconditionally or is it a one-way thing?
Do you have to work hard at it?

Comments

• Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've had our ups and downs, but now I love her unconditionally. She's 88 years old, and still going strong.
  • Options
    biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Mother is a little controlling. I love her to bits but it's better we don't spend too much time together
  • Options
    Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We speak every day but she has no idea who I am or what interests I have or who my friends are because I'm a closet case. She's great though.
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love my mum, but it isn't unconditional.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    We get on very well and I never tire of her company. Love my mum :)
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum was fantastic, I miss her terribly!
    You only have one mum, cherish every moment.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    She passed away 23 years ago and I never really got on with her, as she was very temperamental and could get upset at the slightest thing, whatever it was that day. Same with dad these days, as he he is getting more and more like my mother was, each and every day.

Unfortunately, parents (and family) you inherit, friends you choose.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »

That's what I keep getting told
    jra wrote: »
    She passed away 23 years ago and I never really got on with her, as she was very temperamental and could get upset at the slightest thing, whatever it was that day. Same with dad these days, as he he is getting more and more like my mother was, each and every day.

Unfortunately, parents (and family) you inherit, friends you choose.

This is reminiscent of my mum, also passed away.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love my mum as she is my mum, but I do love my dad more, to the point where my first words were dada. It did take me till I was 19 to get on with my mum, but I do still prefer my dad over her which is bad but I can't help the way I feel.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    We've had our ups and downs, but now I love her unconditionally. She's 88 years old, and still going strong.
    Snap!

Right down to the age :)
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what I keep getting told

This is reminiscent of my mum, also passed away.

It can be complicated, that parent/child relationship. It can leave lots of unresolved issues, but it might help to talk it through with someone.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum is one of most flawed people I know, and I love her to bits.

She can be hard work, but she did all she could to give me a good start in life. There's no way I could let her down after that. Plus, she does her best not to become a toxic parent, which I appreciate.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I love my mum .......she's my mum. As I get older I do see her weaknesses and sometimes she really does irritate me at times. I don't really know how to put it into words but ..............I do love her - I feel a bit guilty as my sister really adores my mum and sees her as a really sweet old lady.

For many years there was geographical distance and I didn't see her on a regular basis ........for the past 11 years she's lived nearby and I see her most days. I realise more than my sister that she's not without her faults (as any of us) - I do feel guilty for saying that though.
  • Options
    puffenstuffpuffenstuff Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum died when I was 16, Im 54 now ..so long ago I cant remember any conversations we had, but I still cry sometimes when I think about her. I spent years crying, cherish what you have while you still have it.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    My mum died when I was 16, Im 54 now ..so long ago I cant remember any conversations we had, but I still cry sometimes when I think about her. I spent years crying, cherish what you have while you still have it.

I really dislike these type of comments

Fine if your mum isn't a very vitriolic mean and vindictive alcoholic for example

There is nothing for me to cherish

And I am sure I am not the only one
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    she`s never liked me for some reason, i gave up and emotionally distanced myself from both [neglectful] parents in my early thirties before i destroyed myself with it. my children are close to her.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    I don't really have a relationship with my mother. I tolerate her, reluctantly, but look forward to the day when I don't have to do even that.

She is not a nice woman but my daughters still like her so, for their sake, I put up with her being in my life.

My dad, however, I adore, despite his faults.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »

This but take 7 years off the age. I only see her about 4 times a year too so it's never for often enough. Can't wait to see her in 3.5 weeks time :D
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »

It doesn't make them any less valid!
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member

That's really made me sad. I should remember this when I'm getting irritated with my mum.:o:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love my mum to bits, she is not only my mum but also my friend and it's the same with my dad. I can't imagine life without them and that scares me sometimes when I realise they won't be here forever. I know I am lucky with my parents because I have heard some horror stories about some peoples parents.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    It doesn't make them any less valid!

I should still cherish my mother?
    Who wouldn't recognise me in a line up? If she could get to the line up through her drubken haze
    I will not and can not cherish anything about her
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I should still cherish my mother?
    Who wouldn't recognise me in a line up? If she could get to the line up through her drubken haze
    I will not and can not cherish anything about her

I'm the same, schmisk. I don't even like my mother, never mind cherish her.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member

And? Why are you raining on other people's parades?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    And? Why are you raining on other people's parades?

I don't think she is, dee. She's just explaining that we don't all have lovely mums who we can cherish. Some of us have really crap mothers who don't deserve any cherishing. It does grate on me sometimes when people tell me that I should love my mother because she gave birth to me and brought me up, that I should love her because one day she will be dead and I will miss her.

Well, I'm afraid I won't miss her and I can't love her and I'd be happier if she wasn't in my life at all. It's unfortunate, but she brought it on herself by her behaviour.