Options

Brian Blessed was offered the lead role :)

jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a588416/brian-blessed-i-turned-down-lead-doctor-who-role-in-the-60s.html
Link above :)

i think he would have been a good Dr :) Especially with that deep booming voice of his :)

Comments

• Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    As long as they didn't want to reuse any of the scenery. :D
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would have been a very different show. I was surprised he was almost 2, I would have expected it was much later on like instead of Colin or Sylvester.
  • Options
    jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would have been a very different show. I was surprised he was almost 2, I would have expected it was much later on like instead of Colin or Sylvester.

This i what surprised me :) i though he would have been one of the later Classics like Colin Sylvester or even Paul but not Patrick :)
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This could either have been terrific - (for those only used to GORDON'S ALIVE!!!! and the King in the first series of Blackadder, Blessed was actually a surprisingly good actor when he dialed it down a bit). But if he'd chosen the ROARING AND SHOUTING approach then I doubt we'd all be here on a Doctor Who forum...
  • Options
    doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,022
    Forum Member
    adams66 wrote: »
    This could either have been terrific - (for those only used to GORDON'S ALIVE!!!! and the King in the first series of Blackadder, Blessed was actually a surprisingly good actor when he dialed it down a bit). But if he'd chosen the ROARING AND SHOUTING approach then I doubt we'd all be here on a Doctor Who forum...

He was a good actor, just seen a Lovejoy episode where he played a dodgy antique dealer, very impressive stuff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He touted himself for the role when Peter Davison left, but JNT had already zeroed in on Colin
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,339
    Forum Member
    He touted himself for the role when Peter Davison left, but JNT had already zeroed in on Colin
    With you saying this, and him saying in the article that he'd love to play it now, it sounds like he passed it up and has been regretting it ever since.

For me, he's a good actor, and certainly eccentric, but I'm really not sure he'd be a good fit for this particular role.
  • Options
    KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Brian had justed left his role as 'Fancy' Smith and was, according to Brian himself, a bit of a 'housewives favorite' at the time and a household name because of Z-cars. So I'm not at all suprised that he was considered for the role if they wanted to take the show in a new direction with a younger Doctor. It seems to be a bit like the casting of Peter Davison a few years later.

I went to see his one man show a couple of years ago and I can only say, if you get the chance, go. He has had an amazing life and tells some wonderful stories and is also very,very funny!!
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank god he turned it down.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imagine him shouting at Davros...
  • Options
    rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brian Blessed was great in I Claudius. .

I also saw him recently in an old Sherlock Holmes, where he played a violent drunk. The scene where he changed, almost one sentence, from a standard loud drunk to a quite spoken but incredibly threatening character, was quite creepy. , and reminded me of just how good an actor he is.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Doctor with a Sonic boom rather than screwdriver.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is/was a very good actor, although as a funny and intelligent man I'm sure he would admit that he's become a bit of a parody of himself since the Eighties. Like the chap, but I suspect that, whilst sounding out other actors at the time, Patrick was a bit of a shoo-in. Not a bad choice. ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that as good as Brian Blessed is as an actor he would have been the wrong choice as the second Doctor, I think Patrick Troughton was perfect for the role as the second Doctor.
  • Options
    VopiscusVopiscus Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how reliable BB's memory is about this: I find it hard to imagine his being considered as a direct successor to William Hartnell, but can see that he might have been a contender to follow Jon Pertwee.

For those who only know him from Flash Gordon, might I recommend the animated series The Big Knights (readily available on DVD/BluRay), in which he provides the voice of Sir Morris, "not the finest swordsman in the world, but the MOST ENTHUSIASTIC!" (this is wonderful)?

[If you look at the original Flash Gordon series, Brian Blessed's character Vultan is played by someone who could easily have been BB's old dad. The scene where he attempts to win the love of his fair captive by "entertaining" her with novelty hand-shadows is unlike anything before or since in SF cinema.]

I admire Brian Blessed for what he can do, but I do feel that the role of Doctor Who (whatever the era) would not have suited him.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A lucky escape.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doublefour wrote: »
    He was a good actor, just seen a Lovejoy episode where he played a dodgy antique dealer, very impressive stuff.

Re-watched Blake's 7 on DVD a few months ago, and he was in one episode. Also saw the 70s version of Survivors on DVD earlier this year too. He appeared there as well, as a sort of villain. Towards the end of the episode, his character was shot in the back with a crossbow. They managed to get the arrow out, but he died less than five minutes later from losing too much blood.

Obviously, with a virus that has affected most of the Earth, you wouldn't have any Hospitals, or Ambulance people, so it's no wonder he died. No phones either, so you couldn't dial 999.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With you saying this, and him saying in the article that he'd love to play it now, it sounds like he passed it up and has been regretting it ever since.

For me, he's a good actor, and certainly eccentric, but I'm really not sure he'd be a good fit for this particular role.

I imagin he'd have been very similar to Tom Baker. Larger than life, big voice, loads of charisma and in the 60's a rather dishy looking man.
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vopiscus wrote: »
    I wonder how reliable BB's memory is about this: I find it hard to imagine his being considered as a direct successor to William Hartnell, but can see that he might have been a contender to follow Jon Pertwee.

For those who only know him from Flash Gordon, might I recommend the animated series The Big Knights (readily available on DVD/BluRay), in which he provides the voice of Sir Morris, "not the finest swordsman in the world, but the MOST ENTHUSIASTIC!" (this is wonderful)?

[If you look at the original Flash Gordon series, Brian Blessed's character Vultan is played by someone who could easily have been BB's old dad. The scene where he attempts to win the love of his fair captive by "entertaining" her with novelty hand-shadows is unlike anything before or since in SF cinema.]

I admire Brian Blessed for what he can do, but I do feel that the role of Doctor Who (whatever the era) would not have suited him.

How could anybody just know him from Flash Gordon? Wasn't he in Raiders of the Lost Ark? :)
  • Options
    VopiscusVopiscus Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    How could anybody just know him from Flash Gordon? Wasn't he in Raiders of the Lost Ark? :)

I've never seen Raiders of the Lost Ark, but I have seen Blessed in Flash Gordon, and no amount of medication can take the memory away from me. I was really referring back to adams66's posting, but eliding the mention of the first series of Blackadder, as possibly less than cogent for the international membership of this forum.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Doctor with a Sonic boom rather than screwdriver.

Ha! Ha! Ha! Yes! Very true! :D

"DAVROS! YOU AND YOUR DALEKS ARE FINISHED!", boomed the Doctor as he pointed his sonic device.

:)
  • Options
    Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »

You're getting him confused with John Rhys Davies, pal. Easy mistake to make.

Out of everyone still alive from Nu and Classic Who who I haven't met yet, out of them all, The Brian Blessed is the one person I want to meet. But he's never done a convention I've been able to attend.

In fact, the one person I'd love to meet out of everyone in the world.

I genuinely just adore the mad old bugger. I think he's great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're getting him confused with John Rhys Davies, pal. Easy mistake to make.

Out of everyone still alive from Nu and Classic Who who I haven't met yet, out of them all, The Brian Blessed is the one person I want to meet. But he's never done a convention I've been able to attend.

In fact, the one person I'd love to meet out of everyone in the world.

I genuinely just adore the mad old bugger. I think he's great.

He would be great to meet. I saw part of a TV show with him & Steven Fry swearing loudly as they put their hands in ice water. Proving a point about swearing and pain relief or something. Magnificent :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met him once and he recorded my voicemail answer message. Still have it saved on my computer somewhere. He was awesome.

But he would have been a bad choice for the Doc.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look at some Z Cars clips, probably give a better idea of what we would have got.