Homeless households up by a fifth, figures show

2»

Comments

• gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homeless people are products of the welfare state.

Not necessarily.

According to Shelter you can become homeless for many reasons.

"being evicted by your landlord
    losing your job
    health problems
    relationship problems
    a disaster such as fire or flooding"

Being on welfare though isn't mentioned.
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its like a Daily Mail headline generator. :D
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Perhaps more homes would be available if the whole of Europe didn't have the right to just wander in as and when they feel like it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mickmars wrote: »
    Perhaps more homes would be available if the whole of Europe didn't have the right to just wander in as and when they feel like it
    *like*
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    Why is anyone shocked that more people become homeless in a recession.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »

I hadn't realised we were still in a recession.
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Homeless households up by a fifth, figures show.

Where are all these people living then, in caves?
  • the sandmanthe sandman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hadn't realised we were still in a recession.

Are we?:confused:
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What about "Homeless Heroes"? http://www.anoncreative.com/homeless-heroes/

Are they products of the welfare state?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we?:confused:

Well it might just be me but IMO the post I was replying to appeared to be saying we are.
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »

Because we are supposed to have a welfare state that prevents it from happening. Well we do when the Conservatives are not in power.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allaorta wrote: »
    Homeless households up by a fifth, figures show.

Where are all these people living then, in caves?

Could be or then again they may be living in buildings of some kind.

According to Shelter

Homelessness means not having a home - most people who are homeless don't sleep on the street. Even if you have a roof over your head you can still be homeless. This is because you may not have any rights to stay where you live or your home might be unsuitable for you due to severe overcrowding or other reasons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    Because we are supposed to have a welfare state that prevents it from happening. Well we do when the Conservatives are not in power.

That's probably why homelessness is rising.

The difference between the Tories and Labour is that Labour helped people when they were evicted from their homes, lost their jobs, had health problems, were victims of disasters such as fire and flooding. Under Labour we really were 'All in it together' the rich and the poor.
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Phil 2804 wrote: »

Is that a joke,,Labour (the party for the working classes) betrayed every British born working class (and every other class) person by opening the floodgates to the whole of Europe + millions from other countries to walk in and compete for jobs,housing,healthcare etc

Surely at this stage in history everyone must realise that Labour and Conservative (and Lib) are totally useless unless you are a multi millionaire or an asylum seeker- Lets face it absolutely everyone else gets shafted by taxes,rules and bullshit that just makes life more difficult and more expensive
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    And the problem with selectively picking dates is that they allow you to paint whatever picture you want.

Would you care to explain why - given that the country was in a period of unprecedented boom for most of Nu Labour - it took them so long to address the problem?

I think the Coalition should be doing more in this area - but I have some sympathy because it's yet another resource that requires funding. And, as we all know (I'm assuming, rather nervously that you do) funding is in seriously short supply.

I don't, however, have any sympathy with Labour supporters condemning the Coalition when for 11 years. they not only had the benefit of time to sort this problem out, they also had the funding.

I can explain that pretty succinctly. During the Thatcher years all of the council houses were sold off to tenants with a promise to replace the stock of social housing. The new housing stock never materialised. It takes time to sort a problem like that out.

The fact that it was reduced by two thirds in the latter years of the last goverment suggests that they'd gone some way to addressing the problem even if it was only paying the outrageous rents that private landlords charge. The problem that we have now is, in part, down to low stocks of social housing but the rest of it is down to the housing benefit caps and higher unemployment.
  • HeresyIsFreedomHeresyIsFreedom Posts: 3,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murky Past wrote: »
    I can explain that pretty succinctly. During the Thatcher years all of the council houses were sold off to tenants with a promise to replace the stock of social housing. The new housing stock never materialised. It takes time to sort a problem like that out.

It takes about 6-8 weeks to build a house from scratch.
    It can be done quicker, but that's about average.

Labour had 15 years.

They did nothing.
  • LiamforkingLiamforking Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the welfare state is a by-product of capitalism.

Killer Gorilla was spouting his usual social Darwinist shite and you had to go ruin it with compassion and truth, for shame.
  • Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Until recently, I claimed job seekers allowance. But I was not entitled to housing benefit. So I paid my rent out of my savings. I did not want to become homeless.

Back in work now, thank goodness. But need to save every single penny. Paying your rent out of your savings, because the state won't help, is an expensive business.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Homeless people and people receiving over 1 million in bonuses are a product of a society that has gone seriously wrong.