Options

And so the yearly Wigan houdini act begins.

13»

Comments

• Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well these three points today, certainly help them in their quest to once again stay up, and they still have another game in hand on the teams around them.

This still stands today! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Isn't that against City?

You never know, with City having nothing to play for in the league, and with Wigan needing the points, that could go in their favour.
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Their next few games are anything but easy though. I think they need to beat QPR. City, West Ham and West Brom away and Spurs at home are next 4 fixtures after that. Can well see them winning none of those.

The QPR game is absolutely massive
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You never know, with City having nothing to play for in the league, and with Wigan needing the points, that could go in their favour.

City will still be way too good you'd imagine. They still want to make the table look respectable they're not going to start throwing out reserve teams and allowing their rivals win the league by a record margin
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Their next few games are anything but easy though. I think they need to beat QPR. City, West Ham and West Brom away and Spurs at home are next 4 fixtures after that. Can well see them winning none of those.

The QPR game is absolutely massive

This is Wigan we're taking about here.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is Wigan we're taking about here.;)

That is indeed true!
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunderland and Villa are well in the relegation mix now. All Wigan need to do is finish one point ahead of either one of them to survive.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,057
    Forum Member
    Newcastle aren't safe yet....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    Newcastle aren't safe yet....

They have Fulham and Sunderland both at home in their next two fixtures

I'll eat my hat if they go down.

In fact I see them finishing top ten tbh, they've a lovely run in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    City will still be way too good you'd imagine. They still want to make the table look respectable they're not going to start throwing out reserve teams and allowing their rivals win the league by a record margin

City cannot do anything about the gap, it is out of their hands, so the margin will be whatever we decide we want it to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    City cannot do anything about the gap, it is out of their hands, so the margin will be whatever we decide we want it to be.

?

If they lose games obviously the margin will be higher than if they win them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Sunderland and Villa are well in the relegation mix now. All Wigan need to do is finish one point ahead of either one of them to survive.

I can see one of either Sunderland or Villa going down tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ?

If they lose games obviously the margin will be higher than if they win them?

True, perhaps I was just getting a bit giddy! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    True, perhaps I was just getting a bit giddy! :D

EDIT- Crap responded completely to the wrong post haha. Still not awake!

Aye I can see City dishing out a fair few hammerings between now and end of season they're playing with nothing to lose really
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have Fulham and Sunderland both at home in their next two fixtures

I'll eat my hat if they go down.

In fact I see them finishing top ten tbh, they've a lovely run in.

Sunderland at home is hardly a gimme seeing as it is a derby game. Anything could happen in this. The formbook goes out of the window in local derbies, as they say!
  • Options
    Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It can't be a coincidence that Wigan get better results in the final months of the season.

Player for player they've always had one of the poorest squads in the division, so I find it incredible that they've been in the top flight for 8 years so far.

Perhaps it's down to the management and coaching.
    Perhaps Martinez has his players at peak fitness at a time when the sides around them are tiring?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They just seem to be in hibernation mode until about April!
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can't be a coincidence that Wigan get better results in the final months of the season.

Player for player they've always had one of the poorest squads in the division, so I find it incredible that they've been in the top flight for 8 years so far.

Perhaps it's down to the management and coaching.
    Perhaps Martinez has his players at peak fitness at a time when the sides around them are tiring?

actually i disagree,about us having one of the poorest squads in the league,the problem we have is we spend wisely bringing potentially decent players in but end up having to sell them in the summer once they prove themselves,and so the cycle continues,and by selling all our decent players and having to buy new,they take time to gel,even when we are losing games we are playing decent football,just couldnt get a goal to save our lives

hopefully though under Martinez we are taking a different direction,there is a real focus on the up and coming(plans for an academy are in final stages of development,as well as a state of the art first team training centre),the manager knows the name of everybody from the bootboy to the CEO,he has a 4 year mission to change the club from the ground up
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    actually i disagree,about us having one of the poorest squads in the league,the problem we have is we spend wisely bringing potentially decent players in but end up having to sell them in the summer once they prove themselves,and so the cycle continues,and by selling all our decent players and having to buy new,they take time to gel,even when we are losing games we are playing decent football,just couldnt get a goal to save our lives

hopefully though under Martinez we are taking a different direction,there is a real focus on the up and coming(plans for an academy are in final stages of development,as well as a state of the art first team training centre),the manager knows the name of everybody from the bootboy to the CEO,he has a 4 year mission to change the club from the ground up

I agree. Wigan play some decent football,those who argue that they shouldn't be in the premier league don't watch them enough.

Hopefully they can get enough points to keep them safe before the last game of the season against Villa.