Last Movie You Watched? (Part 6)

Comments

• Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    filmfan7 wrote: »
    The Bucket List 9/10.......spiritral, touching, emotional, heart breaking, warm, funny,...and .so much more on so many levels ...brilliant film !
    Oh, please. Pure sentimental slop. Fetch me the sick bucket.

Sorcerer

Overwhelming Blu-Ray restoration. A brilliant, hypnotic, Hell on earth-type drama, as tough and leathery as Roy Scheider himself. It reminded me of Peckinpah's 'Afredo Garcia in its relentless, filth-strewn grimness. High praise, but this is even better.

Admittedly the narrative shifts gears as clunkily as the title truck at times (further viewings could iron this out of course), and I may need time to consider that ending. But these are fairly minor quibbles. Much more important is William Friedkin, never at anything less than his ballsy, artful best. A masterclass in sound, vision and execution. They really don't make them like this anymore. 9/10

Star Trek Into Darkness

So-so popcorn thrills, a touch better than the first. I suppose it passes muster regarding the low expectations of these things, but the vapid flashness of it all palls in the second half, (and doesn't promise much for Ep 7). I'll have forgotten this by next week. 5/10
  • TunnelVision9TunnelVision9 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guardians of the Galaxy - 8/10 Great characters, like that it didn't take itself too seriously and was actually quite funny in places.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier - The big plus is the action scenes, a huge step up from the first film. That opening boat scene alone is astonishing and rivals the best set piece of any superhero film. The sad thing is that's the only reason why Cap 2 is marginally better than The First Avenger. Steve Rogers hardly progresses as a character since the first film. Sometimes you can get away with this if you have a killer story at hand (The Dark Knight for example) but here its just a half baked conspiracy thriller. Nice work by Chris Evans though as well as SLJ and Scarlett Johhansson, both who have much more to do than in previous Marvel movies.

6/10
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bad Neighbours...Not too bad. Some good laughs but I wouldn't give it another watch 6/10
  • QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deep End (1970)
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Big Green [1995]. Director: Holly Goldberg Sloan

5/10

Familiar Disney tale of a crappy kids' football team that comes good. One of the actors is called John Terry but it's not the former England captain.

The Devil Inside [2012]

5/10

Yes another shakycam mockumentary horror film with the familiar exorcism scenes. "The Vatican does not endorse this film" says the opening credits. A lucky escape for them.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Riddick (the last one)

2/10

So terrible I felt embarrassed watching it.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anchorman 2...better than the first IMO and hilarious in parts 8/10
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Wish you were here

No, not the Emily Lloyd classic, a 2012 Australian mystery/drama starring Joel Edgerton (he was the only actor in it I recognised)

A married couple from Sydney go on holiday to Cambodia with the wife's sister and her new boyfriend, who goes missing during a beach party. The movie plays out from when they return with the help of flashbacks piecing the mystery together. Not bad. 7/10
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Ice Harvest

Dark comedy from Harold Ramis, a underrated classic imo. John Cusack & Billy Bob Thornton decide to steal 2 Million dollars from the mob on Christmas Eve, but everything takes a turn for the worst. Oliver Platt steals every scene he's involved in and Randy Quaid provides a brief but memorable turn as the Mob Boss. Great fun.

8/10
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guardians of the Galaxy 8/10 critical content; 5/10 viewing enjoyment (I didn't actually enjoy it much)

Earth to Echo 6/10 critical content (accusations of it being derivative of ET); 8/10 viewing enjoyment. This audience member and her friends loved it
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thor: The Dark World - As good as the first Thor film if not slightly better. This had a much better balance between the Earth scenes and Asgard since the first movie lost a bit of quality once the action took place here.

7/10
  • doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,018
    Forum Member
    The Hunter - 7/10 - If you want a slow paced thoughtful film, this is it. Some decent acting from Willem Dafoe and Sam Neill in unusual downplayed roles.

Hot Potato - 7/10 - A subtle comedy I thought, looks and feels a bit light but comes through as an entertaining tale about two likely lads trying to sell some uranium.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This Must be the Place [2011]. Director: Paolo Sorrentino

5/10

A director more interested in stunning landscapes that dramatic action. Sean Penn as a Robert Smith lookalike rock star turned Nazi hunter.

The Wedding Video [2012]. Director: Nigel Cole

4/10

Witless comedy.
  • MJsDirtyDianaMJsDirtyDiana Posts: 373,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Snowman (1982) - 10/10

Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas (1999) - 10/10

Father Christmas (1991) - 10/10

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Snowman (1982) - 10/10

Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas (1999) - 10/10

Father Christmas (1991) - 10/10

:)

Is your calender running 3 months ahead?
  • filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Is your calender running 3 months ahead?

Well !... they often show the first 2 Die Hard movies in the summer ! :)
  • JackassfanJackassfan Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyhood (2014) 9/10
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Wish Upon a Star(1996)
    Cheesy but it was fairly amusing 5.5/10
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Au revoir, Les enfants (1987) - Autobiographical French movie, based on one boy's experience of The Holocaust
    8/10
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hooper - 4/10

A film about a stuntman...and that's all I got from it. I would have rated it lower than 4/10 but in mitigation, I'm unsure as to whether I was in the right mood for watching it or not. I originally thought it was a modern film intended to look retro for comic effect; that was until I looked up the film on imdb and saw it was released in 1978. As you would expect from a film about a stuntman, it's got a few decent action scenes but I couldn't fathom any plot and it wasn't funny.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Wish you were here

No, not the Emily Lloyd classic, a 2012 Australian mystery/drama starring Joel Edgerton (he was the only actor in it I recognised)

A married couple from Sydney go on holiday to Cambodia with the wife's sister and her new boyfriend, who goes missing during a beach party. The movie plays out from when they return with the help of flashbacks piecing the mystery together. Not bad. 7/10

I watched that this weekend too and thought it was good. I too would give it 7/10.

The last movie I watched was Lassie on Channel 5 yesterday afternoon. Jesus Christ, this is for kids ?? I had tear running down my chops sobbing at the end. I was a wretched mess. 9/10
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched My Dog Champion 2013 on my planner which has been on MoreMovies channel for a few months.
    Was an ok film to I give Champion 2013 a 5 out of 10.
  • emmageeringemmageering Posts: 5,164
    Forum Member
    Flying Down to Rio (1933) - 7/10
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    The Bourne Legacy

Largely needless franchise bolt-on that never quite clicks. Way too long, and no amount of stuffy tech-speak can cover up a remarkably flimsy plot. Jeremy Renner does the running, jumping, punching etc, but there's nothing like enough of it. 5/10
This discussion has been closed.