PO Broadband with BT Hub 2.0

My fathers having some issues with the hub sent to him by the Post Office ( a Zyxel ) - internet drops out consistently in the evenings - and wanted to use the BT Hub they have. I entered their username and password correctly but received a message which stated either they were incorrect or the broadband provider was not supported by the hub

Anyone done this successfully or know if it's possible ?

Comments

• ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ipcress wrote: »
    My fathers having some issues with the hub sent to him by the Post Office ( a Zyxel ) - internet drops out consistently in the evenings - and wanted to use the BT Hub they have. I entered their username and password correctly but received a message which stated either they were incorrect or the broadband provider was not supported by the hub

Anyone done this successfully or know if it's possible ?

No. The BT Hubs are locked to only work with the BT broadband service.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,417
    Forum Member
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    No. The BT Hubs are locked to only work with the BT broadband service.
    That's not strictly true. I've heard of cases of people using them on other ISPs that use the BT Wholesale network. As far as Post Office broadband goes I think they have been migrated onto the TalkTalk network now?
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People on t'internet often report that BT's locked hubs actually work with Plusnet too (which sort of makes sense since BT owns them).

And of course there's the retail version of the Home Hub that BT sell in PC World etc that is totally unlocked and will work on any ISP.

Personally I'd buy a half-decent router of my own which probably works better than any ISP-supplied thing and lets me take it to a new ISP if I switch