Not The Nine O' Clock News.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    I always forget Pamela Stephenson was in this! (that'll be something to do with being a teenage girl at the time I expect - by contrast the Great Smell of Henry Cooper is imprinted on my retina for eternity.

One of my favourites was a completely bizarre one with Rowan Atkinson trying to design a bathroom filled almost entirely with toilets. And the Great Smell of Henry Cooper one entertained me a lot

I wish they would show the whole series. And much as I loved the Two Ronnies, the Two Ninnies was pretty much a fair cop.
  • Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much most of what I remember enjoying from NTNON has been mentioned in this thread but I'd just like to add the sight gag of the punk rocker (Rowan Atkinson) going into the Gents toilets in his leathers festooned with zips and realising with a look of growingl horror that he couldn't find the right zip to undo!:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,336
    Forum Member
    jeffersbnl wrote: »
    Don't you mean made from Whales?! There was also "Failed in Wales" to the same tune :D

And its "Kinda Lingers" not linders, of course I've no idea why its so rude ;)Apparently they were only just allowed to broadcast that- and it was the very last sketch QUOTE]

I must have been a very naive teenager because it only dawned on me in later years what this lyric meant:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Pretty much most of what I remember enjoying from NTNON has been mentioned in this thread but I'd just like to add the sight gag of the punk rocker (Rowan Atkinson) going into the Gents toilets in his leathers festooned with zips and realising with a look of growingl horror that he couldn't find the right zip to undo!:D:D

That is very similar to the Kenny Everett sketch where Spiderman cannot go to the loo and almost wets himself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Another funny of the time (not as funny though) was Three of a Kind with Tracy Ullman(before she went to the US) and Lenny Henry and another bloke I can't remember right now Edit: David Copperfield. Just read that she's apparently worth £75 mill!:eek:
  • Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lozza73 wrote: »
    That is very similar to the Kenny Everett sketch where Spiderman cannot go to the loo and almost wets himself.

Ah, but which came first? NTNON or Kenny Everett?

BTW, the third member of Three Of A Kind was called David Copperfield
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Polina wrote: »
    One of my favourites was a completely bizarre one with Rowan Atkinson trying to design a bathroom filled almost entirely with toilets.

I remember that one. Didn't his character in that sketch seem a little bit like an early version of Mr Bean?
  • fezxenakisfezxenakis Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having downloaded a couple of series from a torrent site the DVDs covers the best bits from the show. Sketches used to get repeated in different shows and although there are a couple of good sketches not on the DVD by and large you're not missing much.

I'd agree. They broadcast the old shows on paramount and to be honest a lot of it isn't as good as you might think having seen the best-of compilations.

I find it a very hit and miss show that has aged very badly in places and not just because of the topical nature of the material. Many of the sketches fall wide of the mark and I know it was supposed to be about angry young people (it was the 80s punk era after all) but it can be quite up-itself and joyless at times.

The Rowan Atkinson stuff is always good though and so are the musical numbers, can't beat Howard Goodall !
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »

And please don't forget the piss take of the god Squad
    over reacting to Monty Python's Life of Brian.

And wasn't that done within about a week of the original Python berating incident?
  • fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy memories here. Rarely a duff sketch.

Brilliant.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    And wasn't that done within about a week of the original Python berating incident?

Indeed it was - the only time that Michael Palin has been truly angry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    Most of my favourite funny bits have been mentioned before, but I also liked Rowan Atkinson walking down the street, spotting the camera and almost walking into a lamppost. His face was so hilarious :D

And I always liked the Oswald Mosley song, not funny but a good piece of sarcasm. I'd like to see something like this nowadays about Fred The Shred or expense-fiddling MPs :)
  • I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    The auction for a hospital bed ("deep depresssion from the man on the window ledge").

Playing "The Rocker" by Thin Lizzy over footage of a ranting Ian Paisley.

They played a few episodes on a TWA flight from Dallas a number of years ago. I was howling with laughter. The Americans on the flight were staring at me!
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seem to recall that Chris Langham was one of the four in the very first shows, then replaced by either Rowan or Griff.
    Anyone else or am I just imagining things?
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    I seem to recall that Chris Langham was one of the four in the very first shows, then replaced by either Rowan or Griff.
    Anyone else or am I just imagining things?

Yes, the original quartet was Atkinson, Smith, Stephenson and Langham. However Langham left and Jones was promoted from a supporting actor to one of the big four for series two.

Of course, the original team featured Atkinson, Langham and a load of other people, including Tiswas' John Gorman, but the original series - the first episode of which was filmed thirty years ago this very day - was cancelled at the last minute because of the forthcoming General Election. Much to John Lloyd's relief as he thought it was awful and didn't have enough material for more than one show. Here's more - http://web.ukonline.co.uk/sotcaa/sotcaa.html?/sotcaa/hidden/ntnocn_pilot01.html

In the end they went back to the drawing board and started from scratch again.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6raOf6QBEwE&feature=related

Skip to 3 minutes in, Rowan Atkinson as the President's aide - could of been about Bush.:D
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only really seen the best of DVDs, but from what I've seen it is a brilliant show.

This had to be my favourite sketch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHnBppccI0o
  • xsharkxshark Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Pamela Stephenson and the Jacques Cousteau bath salts sketch can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCFS-bqh_gs
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The auction for a hospital bed ("deep depresssion from the man on the window ledge").

Going once........

Going twice.................

Gone

The man on the window ledge has GONE, so we'll have to start again.

:)

Just remembered the take off of that hideous Sheena Easton song "9 to 5" the final (adjusted) verse of which was:

"My baby takes the morning train,
    He goes out with a **** and then
    He takes another home again
    And tries to strangle me."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    xshark wrote: »
    Pamela Stephenson and the Jacques Cousteau bath salts sketch can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCFS-bqh_gs

Crap gag, GREAT sketch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    "Laid in Wales" and "Made from wales" were great too.

I think my favourite song of theirs was "I Believe".

I remember the come home to a real fire buy a house in Wales. :D

The rascist policeman arresting a villain on trumped up charges such as having an offensive wife.

The gob on you song.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    I can picture a sketch, something along the lines of a lecturer asking a group of students...

"so who's to blame for the mess we're in then (say) Jenkins"?

Someone shouts out "the tories, the tories".

Lecturer "don't help him"!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    I can picture a sketch, something along the lines of a lecturer asking a group of students...

"so who's to blame for the mess we're in then (say) Jenkins"?

Someone shouts out "the tories, the tories".

Lecturer "don't help him"!:D

It's the one done as a spoof of 'yoof' TV, with Griff as the presenter, trying to act cool but always reverting to 'teacher' mode when he gets annoyed.

'Everybody off the scaffolding!'

It also features Rowan as, in his words, 'I am a mime. My body...is my tool..'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    The rascist policeman arresting a villain on trumped up charges such as having an offensive wife.

"Wearing a loud shirt in a built-up area"
    "Walking on the cracks in the pavement"

Brilliant.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    "Looking at me in a funny way"
    :D