Frankie Boyle - is he funny to anyone?

stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
Forum Member
I love comedy, British comedy. Gimme stand up any day. But what the hell is this guy all about?

Katie Price is consulting her lawyers after comedian Frankie Boyle made fun of her disabled son Harvey on his Channel 4show

Former Mock The Week star Boyle, 38, said on the show, which is watched by one million viewers : 'Jordan and Peter Andre are still fighting each other over custody of Harvey - eventually one of them will lose and have to keep him.'
He then added: 'I have a theory about the reason Jordan married a cage fighter - she needed a man strong enough to stop Harvey from f***ing her...'

From http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1337095/Katie-Price-considering-taking-legal-action-Frankie-Boyle-makes-vile-jibes-disabled-son-Harvey.html

Comments

• Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's funny to millions, as it happens.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's very funny, and that joke is also funny.
  • LisaB599LisaB599 Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to like his humour..

Now i find his "shock" tactics rather pathetic, its a rouse to grab the headlines he knows saying stuff like this will spark debates on sites such as DS and as simon cowell says "all publicity is good publicity" and yes I know im adding to it by replying myself but i think attacking someones disabled kid, or someone elses missing 3 yr old child is way beneath any belt i want to pay to go see.
  • Pliny the ElderPliny the Elder Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen his latest series, but in general I have found him funny - if a bit over the top sometimes.
  • garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    He's ok but he bases everything on the same type of comedy...slagging off people, it's very tired as seen by the fact his own show is struggling to hit 1 million viewers a week
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His offensiveness is starting to look a bit like attention seeking desperation for laughs now. I'm sure he will be playing golf with Jim Davidson soon enough enjoying his retirement.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find him hilarious although I'm struggling to enjoy his new TV show Tramadol Nights. All rehashed stuff from his stand up so seen it all before.
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tramadol Nights is a bit hit'n'miss but he's pretty funny. It's bog standard shock humour really, t's meant to be offensive.
  • stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    He's very funny, and that joke is also funny.

I simply dont see how thats side-splittingly funny. Even taking out the obvious controversy, I dont find it that amusing! Maybe I should just return to Fawlty Towers, Blackadder and good old fashioned British humour.
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I should just return to Fawlty Towers, and good old fashioned racist humour.

fixed :P :D
  • stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    mathertron wrote: »

Haha nice one ;) - I did forget the obvious Germans episode and portryal of incompetent Spaniards. Though I still think it's a far cry from "jokes" about shagging your mother.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a little too close to the bone for my tastes, but some of his "edited for TV" stuff like Mock the Week is funny
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member

It was a darned sight funnier than the sick ar****les who masquerade as comedians these days. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is a very bitter man, hiding his morbidly deranged soul behind "jokes"..

Accusing a severely disabled 8 year old to constantly want to sh@g his mother is beyond sick, tbh. :rolleyes:

Since no one seems to read the article.
    He then added: 'I have a theory about the reason Jordan married a cage fighter - she needed a man strong enough to stop Harvey from f***ing her...'

• Pliny the ElderPliny the Elder Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To be fair, if Fawlty Towers is seen as racist, then you certainly couldn't have Dad's Army, Allo Allo etc. these days. Admittedly, It Ain't Alf hot Mom would be a bit difficult to show these days - but I wouldn't class Fawlty Towers in that bracket.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Frankie Boyle can be outrageously offensive, he is however hilarious and Katie would be best ignoring this comment rather than giving him the oxygen of publicity which his (somewhat dreadful) sketch show needs. Personally I'm fed up of defending him seeing that he writes a column for the Sun :( :mad:
  • DavidCHDavidCH Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a friend who went to see him at the weekend, I forwarned that he might not be her cup of tea. She said he was the most terrible thing she could have ever imagined. The support act was apparently pretty good. The guy is out to shock, nothing more, nothing less. Find a Wetherspoons bar and pick on the most bleary eyed punter and you can have a similar exoperience without being fleeced.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, if Fawlty Towers is seen as racist, then you certainly couldn't have Dad's Army, Allo Allo etc. these days. Admittedly, It Ain't Alf hot Mom would be a bit difficult to show these days - but I wouldn't class Fawlty Towers in that bracket.

The joke in Fawlty Towers is actually on a certain type of English attitude.

IE it's not the Germans that look like aggressive, outdated racist pricks but Basil. :sleep:
  • TombstoneTombstone Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 'gangbang in a minefield' Diana memorial is funny though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work with people with learning disabilities, many of them downs syndrome, and I find what he said about them offensive. Humour is subjective, just as offense is. I can't say I would want to stifle freedom of expression, not least because the 'ban this filth' brigade play into his hands. It's really down to peoples discretion. Don't go and see him, turn the telly off when he's on, or just think he's a c**t like I do.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Tramadol Nights is a bit hit'n'miss but he's pretty funny. It's bog standard shock humour really, t's meant to be offensive.

This.

I watched Tramadol Nights last week and found myself laughing and cringing in equal measure.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tombstone wrote: »
    The 'gangbang in a minefield' Diana memorial is funny though.

Hilarious.

And the line about gay dads being ideal adopters of babies.

"They're used to tantrums, and putting talcum powder on sore bottoms...."

And many more.

The man is the dark heart of comedy and worth 100s of Michael McIntyres, Jim Davidsons and the like.
  • TombstoneTombstone Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    This.

I watched Tramadol Nights last week and found myself laughing and cringing in equal measure.

I watched it this morning for the first time and found the stand up OK, but the sketches were rubbish.

'I'm a fashion student'

'I can tell you darling, you're not'
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    yep- he's funny, but not to all.
  • Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doc Shmok wrote: »
    Since no one seems to read the article.
    What makes you think that?