Options

Recovery time after chest infection and pleurisy

mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey

On the 7th December I got tonsillitis which I had for almost a week before developing a chest infection, I got antibiotics and an inhaler on the 15th December, the antibiotics lasted a week. It didn't shift the cough although I felt like I had improved until Christmas eve when the cough got a lot worse, I muddled through Christmas day and that night the cough got so bad that it felt like I was hitting a wall every time I coughed. I went to the out of hours doctors on boxing day, my peak flow was 300 (usually about 450), and the doctor could hear the fluid on the right side of my lung and gave me more antibiotics.

Now we are on the 15th January and while the infection has thankfully gone I am left with wheezing in the middle of my chest, it isn't constant but I do get it daily now, is it possible I am still recovering or could have triggered asthma? I haven't had asthma since I was about 14. I will go to the doctors next week when my husband has a day off (so he can look after our youngest) but I was just wondering if anyone could perhaps offer non official advice/suggestion.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can get an infection induced asthma and it could well be that post infection you will have a wheeze .
    If your peak flow was that poor and with a wheeze post infection , I would tend to be thinking of asthma .
    But please go to the GP and make sure the pleurisy is gone and you have no fluid or residual infection
    Get well soon ,I had pleurisy and pneumonia a few years ago and it was so debilitating
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Abbas Mummypigg, I would get it checked out properly after this amount of time
  • Options
    mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for both replies :)

While I do believe the fluid is gone, as I got it checked out early the wheeze does concern me. I think it will be Wednesday when I can get to the doctors. I hope it's nothing more than a post infection sizzle as my mum also has asthma and it's not fun to see her at her worst.
  • Options
    CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    Thank you for both replies :)

While I do believe the fluid is gone, as I got it checked out early the wheeze does concern me. I think it will be Wednesday when I can get to the doctors. I hope it's nothing more than a post infection sizzle as my mum also has asthma and it's not fun to see her at her worst.

You could get in touch with NHS Direct now and get a medical professional's opinion.

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was the same and had to have antibiotics and steroids. it took me 3 months to get back to normal

don't suffer and go back to your GP. They get paid a lot of money to look after us, so make em earn it and check you out again